Author Topic: OT 3.5 year old won't go to sleep  (Read 872 times)

Offline SEA0680

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: March 18, 2016, 04:12:04 am »
We are in the 1-0 nap transition and our DS is a COMPLETE MONSTER. He's fine all day, but around 6pm he starts testing like crazy- purposely hurting people, throwing food, acting like an animal. I've tried putting him to bed around this time, but he always ends up acting like a monster (purposely hurting people, throwing things around his room, standing at his gate screaming) in his room for another few hours. I try to maintain his bedtime routine, I try to be calm and read him books and tell him stories while lying in bed in the dark, etc, but he continues acting crazy. Basically, no matter what we do, he won't go to bed much earlier than on the days he does get a nap.

Important background- all of his life, this kid has resisted sleep. All sleep- night time, and naps. Must be perfectly tired to go to sleep, and always acting like sleep is the enemy. Fine once he is asleep (no co-sleeping, and only occasional NW). Feels like he goes from UT to OT instantly, and now that he is bigger, he is physically able to make it intolerable to be around him.

Please help. Should I continue 45-60 min car naps everyday and assume that he isn't ready to drop the nap? He won't nap in his room anymore- not for about a month. My husband and I are at our wits end.

Offline Jodes112

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
  • You got this! 🙌🏻
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 19:26:34 pm »
Hello!

Sounds like you are in a testing situation so hugs to you!

I take it your LO is spirited?!

If it were me i would totally drop that nap now & start to work on a calmer bedtime.

What is your routine when getting him into bed? Do you bath/chill/bed? Sing, read book? I think that now its about focusing in tackling that behaviour at bed time & working with it.
Jody
 xx

Offline SEA0680

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 20:04:34 pm »
Yes, definitely spirited. We have a very regular routine that we have done for a long time- dinner, bath, books, bed with lullabies. I try to keep the routine very calm, but he is crazy from dinnertime- throwing things, fighting to go into bath, fighting to get out, fighting to get into pajamas. I talk calmly, lights are low, white noise is on, but last night he fought going to bed for 1.5 hours before falling asleep at 9:30pm (despite no nap and waking up at 8am).

Should I try bedtime around dinner time?

Offline Jodes112

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
  • You got this! 🙌🏻
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 20:40:33 pm »
I would aim for bed around 5.45/6pm as he is clearly exausted. Poor you and him. Idstart wind down and bath at around 5 and try that. Its so hard when they are that tored. If you can catch wind down though from before his tiredness kicks in it might help x
Jody
 xx