Author Topic: How can I do EASY when....  (Read 1731 times)

Offline MissTwister

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 18, 2016, 07:34:20 am »
My 8 month old wakes at 6:30 for a feed but then wants to go back to bed for an hour or more? For ages we'd  been getting her up at 6:30 but she is then really exhausted for the rest of the day no matter how she naps - , and she goes does so quickly after the feed  I really don't think it's her wake time. Any tips?

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: How can I do EASY when....
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 21:32:23 pm »
Hmmm I wonder, have you tried resettling her without a feed and see if she'll sleep a little longer? Or she's probably pretty famished at that time?

Otherwise I would just feed and let her go back to sleep and then when she wakes up just top her up so she can make it through to the next E time.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 15:05:22 pm »
I would suggest you treat it as a NF and reckon her EASY from when she 'really' gets up.  But, yes, also try to resettle without the feed, she'll probably get there on her own at some point soon.   
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline MissTwister

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 13:41:11 pm »
Thanks both, having done some more experimentation I've worked out that when she's up at 6:30 but doesn't resettle she then only does very short naps the rest of the day! For instance today

6:40 - wake
9:10 - 35 minute sleep
12:45 - 40 minute sleep

And she's quite grumpy and whingy!

Versus yesterday when she had a nap  soon after waking but not straight away

6:30  wake
7:40 sleep 30 minutes
10:30 sleep 1hr 20
15:00 sleep 1hr 20

Maybe if she wakes early and doesn't resettle I should put her down after only an hour or so again? And then start the EASY with breakfast

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 01:20:30 am »
It does sound like she isn't quite ready to wake up at 6:30am but something is causing her to wake at that time.  My DD is very similar, anything before 7am and she's a disaster and can barely make a decent A time before wanting a nap.  If she wakes before 7 and I can't settle her in her bassinet I usually just bring her into bed and she'll often sleep for a few more hours!

If getting her back to sleep for a wee nap after a short A works, then go for it.  I think if you follow EAS for the rest of he day it should be okay and she'll still have a decent routine.  Maybe with good naps it will actually push her WU time a bit.

Offline MissTwister

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 10:42:27 am »
Thanks Lindsay. I think it's just hunger that's waking her but I'm now concerned that is adding in  this very early nap is pushing her first awake time earlier as we've  started getting 6am wake ups now!

This morning she woke at 6 and we fed and got her back to sleep and I woke her at 7:15 but she's been a mess since and refused her first nap for ages getting hysterical and I had to feed her twice more before she went down!  Maybe I shouldn't have woken her? Yesterday she slept in till 8 after her first 6am wake and then had two really good naps, but I had to wake her from the second at 5pm as it was all pushed too late! 

She's really confusing me, I'm just not sure what to do. She can't be having her second nap until 5pm but if she's getting up at 8 then this is how it works out. But when I wake her at 7 she's very upset...

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 21:16:55 pm »
I mean I guess it is personal preference, ideally the day starts at 7am to fit everything in, but if she's a cranky mess that's no fun for anyone.  I would be inclined to let her sleep and then cap the second nap f she is happier that way.

Offline MissTwister

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 07:37:34 am »
Ugh today she woke us at 6:10 and then refused to go back to sleep. I think she'd been awake a while before that too. It's only 7:30 now and she is a crying whingy mess....

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 00:01:02 am »
How did the day end up hun?  I think sometimes boredom can mask itself as tiredness ya know? That used to be the case with my DS and he was a chronic EWer too so I know those mornings can be loooong when they are up that early.  I think the best thing you can do is try to push through until first nap and hopefully they catch up a bit and wake happier.