Author Topic: Dealing with cranky when waking from naps  (Read 1135 times)

Offline lauren29

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Dealing with cranky when waking from naps
« on: March 20, 2016, 02:00:49 am »
I'm ok with waking my son (9 mo) if he's not awake by a certain point during the day (e.g., if a morning nap goes to 2 hrs). But usually if I need to wake him he's then cranky and ed off that I've woken him up. Any suggestions about how to deal with this? Should I just not wake him up even if it will work with our routine better?

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: Dealing with cranky when waking from naps
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 20:26:02 pm »
Hi Lauren,
how much day sleep would you wan't him to have? nap#1 2h, nap#2 ? Is late nap pushing BT later and later?

About crankiness ;] My DS is often not in the mood even if he wakes by himself. I find 3 things helpful:
1. I smile and sing happy songs no matter what. Sometimes he smiles along. But you probably want to be gentle with that if you're waking him up.
2. I pick him up from the crib and lay down with him for a while in our bed. Even if he jumpes and rolls over I keep laying.
3. I pick him up from the crib, open shades and let him stand in the window (I hold him, but it's probably not the best parenting advice;)  . I show him animals, cars, trees etc. I talk a LOT!

Offline lauren29

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 02:00:46 am »
I didn't have notifications on and missed this reply!

Basically if the AM nap is super long then PM nap is iffy and then it throws off the day. I just posted another topic about a possible 2-1 because he's doing up to 4 hr A time lately which is fine with me but it's hard to fit 2 naps in with all that A time. Active boy!

Thanks for responding :)

Lauren

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 20:08:03 pm »
Oh yes, I remember that time:) It's hard work!
I pushed that morning A time and used a stroller for PM nap until the second nap got pushed away completely.It took 2 weeks of DS being not in the mood:/
Let me know if you need any help:)