Author Topic: Unsure of hungry signs and waking to feed at night  (Read 1555 times)

Offline claireh29

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Unsure of hungry signs and waking to feed at night
« on: March 20, 2016, 05:25:33 am »
Morning!

I'm after a little help with hungry signs for my 3 week old,  especially at night.

During the day we are on a rough 3hr routine but I often wake to feed her. when she feeds it's about 10m and only one side but she is putting on weight so I'm happy with that.

At night I tend to feed her when she wakes but this is my problem, she doesn't really wake up past 2am but she stirs, grunts and often letting out wind - I wonder if it wasn't for the gas if she would sleep on much longer.

For exam tonight she feed at 6:30, 9:30 and 1:10, she had some wind distress but eventually went to sleep each time. After the 1:10 feed she was in her basket by 1:45 and slept/grunted till 5am when I thought she probably needs feeding now BUT did she? She was still sleeping though her grunting and did cry at all. I did change her bum and she did a big poo right after that which is what I assume all grunting was for during the night.

She has feed but it's a little 'on off on off', wind, cry on off again and now asleep on my shoulder.

So my question should I wake to feed at night and how would I know her hungry signs if I do that?

I guess I should mention we have had a bit of a crazy day with little short feeds and not great naps so I was expecting an unsettled night.

Thanks

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Unsure of hungry signs and waking to feed at night
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 08:20:52 am »
I would leave her to wake, if she's gaining well. I generally feed if we get a wake two or more hours after the last feed, and that seems to work, but also he now gets annoyed if I don't feed him quickly enough! She will let you know, it's just a matter of getting to know her.

Congratulations on your new baby, also!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Unsure of hungry signs and waking to feed at night
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 22:58:53 pm »
I agree. They can be very sleepy at this age but lots of grunting is normal.  She should settle down soon and make it more obvious.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011