Author Topic: 3 year old late bed time  (Read 854 times)

Offline klo1020

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 20, 2016, 19:19:42 pm »
My daughter will be 3 in about 2 months. No matter what I do, I cannot get her to fall asleep before 9:30pm. We do a nice wind down and i turn the lights out for bed at 8. She constantly gets out of her bed. I think she finally starts to stay in her bed around 9 or 9:15 and falls asleep 9:30. She wakes around 7 or 7:30. She goes down for nap somewhere between 12:30 and 1:30 depending on the day. I thought maybe she was ready to wean the nap, so we're actually down to a 20 min nap. When I wake her, shes in a good mood and it seems to be all she needs to get through the day. However, cutting her nap short has not changed her 9:30 bedtime! I think the only difference is occasionally when I used to let her nap as long as she wanted, she would actually wake up in a terrible mood, screaming!  And she is not ready to skip the nap completely yet...i tried yesterday and she passed out on the floor at 5pm.

What do I do? I feel like 9:30 is crazy late....or is it not?! Should I just let her go to bed at 9:30?! I feel like I waste a lot of time getting her back in bed for an hour and a half every night. But id sure prefer if she just went to sleep at 8! Lol

Offline Jodes112

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
  • You got this! 🙌🏻
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 19:41:52 pm »
Do you think that if you put her to bed at 9.30 she would just go to sleep? Or do you think she would get in/out/mess for 1.5hrs still?

Im wondering if it is behavioural more than anything, and she knows she can play about with you at bedtime? What do you do when she gets out of bed? Have you tried walking her back with a gentle 'sleep time' and placing her back in bed (it may take a good few times to start with) is she crying for you or just awake and playing around?
Jody
 xx

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
Re: 3 year old late bed time
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 21:34:53 pm »
My sons did this for months even though he'd dropped the nap.  I think it was largely developmental/behavioural because eventually he just stopped messing around so much and would just play quietly for about 30mins then put himself to sleep.

Offline klo1020

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 01:47:56 am »
Yeah I've been just putting her back in bed.  But I think we will have to be more firm in getting to bed... she does a couple rounds of I want mommy, I want daddy, I want mommy.  But anyway, even if she doesn't get out of bed, she's still awake in her.  It's 8:45 right now and she's singing lol.

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
Re: 3 year old late bed time
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 01:55:19 am »
Hey...at 9:15pm my DS called me up to his room and proceeded to hand me a booger lol.  So...I'll take singing lol