Author Topic: Dreamfeed disturbing sleep??  (Read 1402 times)

Offline Olga lab

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 22, 2016, 12:01:06 pm »
Hi mummies,
My 6 week-old 2nd son is on easy 9 am to 9 pm from day 1(I live in Greece, kids here go to bed later, it 's climate I guess;).
In the beginning he had his day and night confused which seemed like he could sleep 5 hours min during the day and would stay only 3 hours between feeds in the night. What I have noticed now though is that if I feed him last at 8.30 and don't do DF he would sleep 5,5 -  6 hours streight. If I DF he thougj around 11.30-12 he would wake up in 3 hours and I wouldn't be able to put him back to sleep without feeding.
As I had no problem dteamfeeding with my first son who would sleep 6 hours after the DF I m wondering can this one be disturbed by it?
And the thing is that I want him to be DF coz 12 is when I go to bed.
Any tips on how I can improve that?
Thanks,
Olga

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Re: Dreamfeed disturbing sleep??
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 20:52:50 pm »
Hello and welcome to BW forums :)

It does sound to me like his longest stretch of sleep is tending to happen at the beginning of the night, so you could well decide not to do the dream feed, it's not absolutely necessary to do it. However, I understand if you want to - I liked it too ;) My gut feeling is that he's still so young and he's only recently started sorting out his night from his day, so things could change. If the DF is important to you, you can stick with it and hope that one night he'll surprise you and not wake 3h later. Even when he does wake, you can wait a little to see whether he starts to resettle himself - of course if you're aware of clear hunger signs and/or upset then go ahead and feed.

My other thought is that for a 7-7 routine, Tracy recommended that the DF should fall between 10-11pm ideally. So, for 9-9, that would make it more like 12-1am. Perhaps 11:30pm is a little early for him, just 2h after going to sleep for the night, which would most likely fall during his period of deepest sleep and could well be disturbing his sleep later on. Could you try shifting his routine to 8:30-8:30 and doing a 11:30pm/12am Dream feed, maybe?

Offline Olga lab

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 12:18:46 pm »
Thanks a lot for your help and advice! And thanks a lot in general for making this forum thrive!!! It was my first post but I am actually coming to the forum quite often! So thanks again for doing what you are doing! Xoxoxo

Offline trimbler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Re: Dreamfeed disturbing sleep??
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 13:33:28 pm »
Aw you're welcome :-* Glad you've been finding these forums helpful, and I hope you can now experience the same kind of personal support and encouragement that so many of us have found here :)