Author Topic: 16 week baby won't be put to bed by anyone else other than mum!  (Read 961 times)

Offline tathi-b

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4

I'm posting on a different topic as this is a separate issue and I have tried everything I can think of!

My baby has always been around people and from birth has been bottle fed (another issue for another time!) and the plus side of that is that Daddy and Nanny have been feeding her and putting her to sleep from day one.  She is OK with Daddy and Nanny doing everything! Wake her up, change, bathe, play, change clothes, soothe her (so long as not in the cot), spend time, anything... Then all of a sudden about a month ago, Nanny tried to put her down for the 5pm catnap (which she had done loads of times before with no issue!) nap and it was as if the world had come to an end!  After 15 minutes trying to sooth her Nanny gave up and brought her to me.  No nap!  Daddy then tried to put her for a nap a couple of days after that and the same thing happened! 

We have tried several times for her to go down with the Nanny and Daddy and until I go into the room and take her and hold her for a couple of minutes or put my hand on the side of her face all she does is cry.  And then I put her into the cot and all is fine, no tears, she sleeps.  She even smiles at me when she sees me! She goes to sleep until she wakes up in a half hour (which is the my other post).  We have tried several variations of the same nap time routine.  Nanny goes in and I come in to soothe her, we both take her in together so that she can see me, Nanny starts the routine and I end it.  A couple of times she has accepted being put down by the Nanny on her own but I think that is more fluke than actual acceptance.  I'm going back to work soon and need to feel like my baby isn't going to cry every few hours to go to sleep and only sleep because she is so tired from crying.  I know that the Nanny soothes her.  I'm not talking about crying it out as I don't agree with that as a technique and even less with a baby this young.  My baby cries in the Nanny's arms or being patted, she is always with someone.

Nap time routine is the same every time.  We tell her we are going for "quiet time", change nappy, close curtains, put into grow bag.  That is how it's always been and it's always worked.  When I put her down she goes into the cot pretty much awake and settles herself down. But I need other people to be able to do the same and I need her to accept others helping.

Help?!

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: 16 week baby won't be put to bed by anyone else other than mum!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 21:25:21 pm »
Hello again:)
I'm sorry I don't have any advice on this one because I run of ideas while I was reading your post :/

Let me move your post, as this feels more like a general sleep issue. I am sure someone went through the same thing and will respond quickly:)

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 09:29:37 am »
Hi Honey - I also don't have an advice except from consistency and being stubborn -and trying and trying.
But I am bumping for you and hope that some others will come to answer. I just PMed a lady here who had the same issue as you so maybe she can offer some advice:).
~Marta

Offline tathi-b

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 12:59:40 pm »
Thanks ladies! It's so tough! Almost as if she has decided something in her little head and there is no undoing it! I'm hoping that when she is on the other side of 16 week sleep regression she'll come out of this!

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 20:16:09 pm »
I don't have much advice hun but I can tell you we are going through the the exact same thing.  It took 3 months before my DD would even let DH hold her!  He can now hold her and play with her, but sleep...forget about it, that is all mommy.  I have the stomach flu and poor DH was trying to put her down for BT last night  so I could rest and she was having none of it.  Even him feeding her can be a problem.  The same goes with other people as well...we have had my mom babysit and DD just cries bloody murder the whole time I am gone.

Like I said not much advice, I think all you can do is keep trying and maybe like you said try to have DH or the Nanny put her down with you present for the first while so she knows it is a safe, calm place etc.

Offline tathi-b

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 13:44:47 pm »
I'm lucky, she lets others hold her and play, even feed, bathe and change her!

I'll keep on trying and see what happens, maybe when she comes out of the 16 week sleep regression everything will change?! One can only hope!

Interesting though that last night the Nanny gave her the DF and put her back into bed fine, suspect she didn't quite wake up!

It's tough though because there are times that I could leave her at home where she would have a proper nap and I could run an errand or 2 but end up taking her with me. She doesn't nap well in the car seat or the buggy so either I end up staying in or cramming everything during awake time!!