Author Topic: 12 month old  (Read 937 times)

Offline Nauvoo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
    • Concrete Picture Frames
12 month old
« on: March 23, 2016, 03:29:33 am »
DD has always had sporadic but consistent night wakings, since 6 or 7 months old.  sporadic in that I have no idea when they will occur and what is triggering them and consistent in that she doesn't go more than 4 or 5 days without having them.  Night wakings as in 1.5-2 hr night wakings.  She's just awake, seems like she is ready to be up for the day, not tired at all.  They occur anywhere from midnight to 5am, most usually begin between 1-3am.   She actually does have more night wakings than these extra long ones but the pacifier is generally all she needs to go right back to sleep.  when she does have these long night wakings we don't use the pacifier as it will just prolong the night waking!
her routine is
wake 7ish
nap 11:30 - 2
bed 7

she's been on 1 nap for about a month now and has adjusted to it really well.

she does put herself to sleep at bedtime but has never done so during the night when she has these long night wakings.  I generally sit with her until she's tired enough to fall back to sleep.  not sure what I can do to prevent them if that is even a possibility.  I suppose what I'd really like to do is get her to the point where she can deal with night wakings without me needing to be with her to get her back to sleep.  Is that unrealistic?   We don't put her to sleep with her pacifier but if she wakes at night we give it to her, it's a quick fix.
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

[url=http://concretepicture.wordpress.com]Concrete Picture
Frames[

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: 12 month old
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 00:20:28 am »
Hmm I will admit I am kind of stumped! Being that it has been going on for ages and she is on one nap I cannot see that a routine tweak is needed. Is she lower sleep needs?
Heidi

Offline Nauvoo

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 03:48:48 am »
I don't think I would call her low sleep needs.  She sleeps 12 hrs at night and a 2 hr nap.   It's just so random.  Although it's been almost a week.
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

Frames[

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 20:51:44 pm »
She could possibly be a bit UT if she gets a 12 hr night and a 2.5hr nap?  I'm sure some LOs can do that and do need that amount, just thinking mine lengthened his night sleep up to 12 or even 13hrs when he moved to one nap but after about a month his shortened his night back to his more regular 10.5 to 11hr. If she is UT for her night sleep it could cause long NWs.

There is a section in one of the BW books (I forget which, sorry) where Tracy says that it is totally normal for LOs to wake for long stretches in the night, even hours, and you should leave them to it.  Obviously we always look for a reason that LO might be waking at night, heat/cold, routine etc but if you feel relatively confident that the bigger picture has been looked at and everything looks okay then that's when it comes down to what Tracy said, that they do just do this, leave them they will go back to sleep and learn to sleep all night.
Clearly if she calls for you or cries she needs a response but if she is just awake and quiet or making noises which are not "I need you" noises then Tracy's guidance is to leave her to it.

It sounds like she starts out by calling/crying out for you because she doesn't know what else to do, you respond (as of course you should) and then you get stuck in the room.  I would suggest a plan of sleep training for the NWs either GW or WIWO, verbal reassurance from outside the room, whatever method suits you and you believe you can be consistent with...it might be a combo which is just right for you and DD, yk?
Mine also had long stretches awake and I did a bit of a combo, if he called (not crying) I called back "it's night time, go to sleep", and I might not answer every single call, certainly the first one or two but then possibly not every one but perhaps every other one, enough so he knew I was right there and he was not in any danger and had not been abandoned but also this is not a two way conversation to go on all night either (hope that makes sense).  If he make upset or very insistent I would go into his room and put a hand on him and tell him "it is night time, go to sleep" and depending how he was I might stay a few minutes or longer  or I might leave right away.  The process being just like initial sleep training where by you give as much as is needed to reassure but you don't get 'trapped'.
Although your DD is totally independent going to sleep at BT she just hasn't learned that in the middle of the night she is still safe enough to go back to sleep alone so she needs your company to do so.

I suggest either try a shorter night and see if the NWs stop or sleep train for night sleep so that if she wakes she can lay there alone but not upset and eventually go back to sleep, at least then you get a better night.

Offline Nauvoo

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 02:59:15 am »
Awesome.  Thanks so much.  It really is a case of getting stuck in the room. If I try to leave she is hysterical.  She did wake last night but spent most of the time in her bed. I was only up for half an hour with her which is a record!  I think having DH handle the WI/WO is the best bet!
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

Frames[

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 08:21:47 am »