Author Topic: 5 month napping HELP!!!  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Aebollig

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 23, 2016, 15:07:59 pm »
My LO is 5 months old and has started a very terrible nap routine. She sleepassed great at night but during the day she only will fall asleep in her crib for 20 minutes or so around 3 times a day. She is so sleepy and I feel so bad for her but I'm not sure what to do. She has been on E.A.S.Y and done great but after her 4 month sleep regression and teething started the terrible napping began. I try to go in every few minutes and calm her to help get her back to sleep using a paci, patting her bum, and shhushing but she doesn't want to calm down. I need so mommy advice for what I should do to help her get better sleep during the day..

Offline Cathykim920

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 16:50:04 pm »
I'm in the exact situation. My baby just woke up again so I'll message later with how at this point I'm changing his nap time and extending it so he gets a little more sleep.

Offline Cathykim920

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 17:28:35 pm »
Ok! Wow I'm glad I'm not alone. Our situation is identical even the baby's age. We put him on the easy routine and I've been picking up and putting down for the duration of his nap period once he wakes after 20-45 min. I'm in his room for over an hour doing that. He always falls asleep around the time he's scheduled to feed! He's on a 3.5 hr schedule so I just leave him to nap and will adjust him to the 4 hr schedule for  next feed, and then I will try to get him back on track to his normal schedule after his next nap. From what my friends and colleagues have told me the baby will learn on their own to nap longer around there six months. I also heard that it was more difficult because of the sleep regression, but that can't be helped. I'm new at this too so if my advice doesn't help I'm sorry but know that u are def not alone!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 5 month napping HELP!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 19:55:35 pm »
Hi Aebollig and welcome to BW forums :)

It's quite common for the day time sleep to go off track between 4 and 6 months, for my LO it was 3.5-5.5 months, a little earlier than the norm but even so I've been there and the good news is we survived :)

If your LO is only sleeping 20 mins I would suggest reducing the following A time to avoid her getting too OT (over tired), during our tricky time we had 4 or 5 naps of 40 mins long per day. It's hard work hey?

If you can post her EAS times, exactly as they were (not what you hopped for or planned for but what really happened) for a full day we could have a look at the bigger picture and see if we can help work out a reasonable routine to get through this difficult phase.

Could you also let us know if she is/was an independent sleeper? Does she fall to sleep in teh cot on her own or does she still need some help to do so? It's helps us to know a little about how she was sleeping before and how she is sleeping now.

The main thing as this point is to respond to her cries, so if she is crying for you then attend to her quickly, this will really help to maintain the bond of trust and ultimately will help her become more able to sleep again.

Thanks for paying it forward Cathykim, it's always great to see the community stepping up to support one another :)  You have great advice about that 6 month mark being a time when many improve their day sleep too, for some Mummies it's a case of hanging on in there until the 'magic switch' flips at 6 months!  For others there is some times improved sleep with routine changes or with sleep training...it's a tricky time for many!

Offline FPT23

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
Re: 5 month napping HELP!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 04:16:15 am »
Following! Positive vibes during this new transition! Curious on this post!

I'll be there in no time I'm sure ::) with my baby!

;)

Hugs!!!
Fabi