Author Topic: 6mo new to EASY  (Read 8301 times)

Offline Batool huzaifa

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 22, 2016, 05:00:46 am »
Hi i have a 6 months old with whom i tried pu pd wch worked realy great for thw first  2 3 days but now on the 6th day there has been no progress since 3 days..sometimes he goes to sleep in 20 mins other times in 40 mins.i applied easy today but he slept fr just 35 mins in his morning nap..i tried pu pd for another 40 mins to put him to sleep again but he did not go to sleep however he was constantly rubbing his eyes..now should i make him sleep the moment he shows sleep cues or make him sleep at the scheduled easy afternoon naptime..if i dont put him to sleep bfre hos afternon nap time he ll be too tired by that time..please help..realy tired..

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 6mo new to EASY
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 10:06:32 am »
Hi, welcome to BW, I've split your post off into a new thread so you're getting some fresh eyes :)

Can you write out what your day looks like, EAS style, so as an example:
7am - wake, eat (breastfed/formula)
9:30 - nap
11 - wake, eat
etc. Please include night wakings and if/when you fed, eg:
7pm - asleep in bed for the night
NW: 11 - fed; 4 - fed

Any background on your baby would also be helpful - any medical issues, have you started solids, how is baby fed, any changes recently?

Offline Batool huzaifa

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 16:08:01 pm »
Hi..thnks for the reply...yeah this is his routine since last thursday..bfre tht he had no routine as such n was awake every 1 2 hours at night n just napping for 30 mins a couple of times in day...
8 a.m wake up..it varies from.7 to 8:30
8:05 bf
9:30 breakfast
10:30 naptime ...varies from 10 to 11 depending on wake up time( inly napping for 40 mins..but found some success usinh tracy s wake to sleep method)
12:30 bf
1:15 bath
2:30 naptime...sleeps for 2 hours
5: 00 bf
7:00 dinner
7:40 bf
7:50 bedtime routine
Sleeps around 8:15..
Dreamfeeding at 11:00

Wakes up atleast twice a night n does not settle without bf..but after bf i keep him drowsy in his bed n he plays for half an hour to one hour then sleeps on his own..

Offline becj86

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 21:30:24 pm »
Are the wakings & feedings at night happening at any particular times? That's what helps work out what to do with the day routine.

It looks like you've made some good progress, there is usually a regression around day 3-5 that goes for a few days, so that's probably what you've noticed there.

I suspect from what you've said that the first A time could be a little longer and you might get a better nap. I'd aim for 3hr minimum based on what you've said in your posts so far. You could also try a wind down - he sleeps better after a bath, I notice.

Offline Batool huzaifa

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 00:40:46 am »
Yeah around 2 a.m and then around 6 a.m he wakes up for night feeds..but yesterday night he also woke up around 10:30 p.m..n ystrday he dint even open his eyes...cried n then i nursed him n he slept back right there n then...i tried increing A time to 3 hours in morning but dint work.. yeah he sleeps better after bath..what winding down activity do u suggest bfre his morning nap?

Offline becj86

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 21:17:10 pm »
NW's are probably not something you can do much about - they're within normal for his age and they're well spaced.

WRT wind down, you could try a little massage or a quiet walk around outside chatting about whatever you wish to chat about, something with some firm physical contact with you will probably help him to relax ready for sleep.

Offline Batool huzaifa

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 10:41:02 am »
Yesterday we had to go out for some work..he did not sleep the whole day..just for 20 mins in his stroller...i was amazed coz i had thought once he kearns to self soothe he ll sleep wherever he is on his scheduled nap times...but he did not sleep...dows this mean i can not go anywhr on his nap times?? He also wake up 6 times yestrday noght...as if all his schedule had been done upside down:((

Offline becj86

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 02:41:40 am »
20min nap is pretty classis for overstimulation - with a spirited baby, you can go out, but in my experience, about 30min before nap time has to be quiet relaxing activity with someone with whom he is comfortable (mum or dad, usually) so he can sleep. My DS would wake any time he heard a noise he wasn't familiar with, so I had to take him and show him the source of each sound and how the sound was produced/source of the noise was controlled, then he'd sleep fine through that noise thereafter.

Waking up lots in the night after 20min day sleep would likely be from being overtired.

Do you have a carrier/sling/wrap type thing you could use to help him calm down before/for a nap when you're out? I think once you find a wind down that works at home, you should be able to use it or something similar when you're out but it will be different sleeping out and about than at home.

Offline Batool huzaifa

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 00:11:03 am »
But sounds in a mall are all so diffrent..how can i show the source...besides ibdont knw wat is going wrong...he has strted waking up more frequently at the noght n is not gng to sleep on his own...he needs breastfeeding...n even in the naps n at night he is fussing a lot bfre gnh to sleep..it seems everything is becoming the way it was..n all my hardwork is going in vane..plz help wat went wrong?? Just tht one day we took him out?? Its been almost 2 weeks trying pupd n easy...now hell tired...

Offline becj86

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 08:47:44 am »
What have your last two days looked like? Can you write out the EAS for me?

I was just giving an example of how I found I had to see what was upsetting my baby and what helped him. Your baby is probably different from mine, you know him far better than I do, so this is the key of BW: tuning in to what baby is telling you and helping him learn, in this case, to sleep.

Keep in mind there's a big developmental leap at 6 months too, so that can play havoc with sleep even when you're not just setting up a routine. http://www.thewonderweeks.com/the-mental-leaps-and-wonder-weeks/  http://www.thewonderweeks.com/mental-leap-5/
This is actually a big one wrt sleep too!

Offline Batool huzaifa

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 02:45:57 am »
Well since the lastv2 days he has not been taking his usual 2 hours nap after his bath..just 45 mins nap...and in the morning also just 45 mins..then i do pupd which is sometimes successful n sometimes not..in the night he has been waking up 2 3 times and i bf him n sometimea he goes to sleep on my breast rest he plays for sometime n then sleep on his own..yestrday was a dfrent day coz we had to go out n obvsly he wouldnt sleep outside..so he slept at 11 p.m instead of his usual 8:15 p.m..but he woke up at 8:30 a.m his feedings n activitty times are all same as bfre...but his sleep patterns are changing..yestrday he also had a catnap at 6:15p.m..i m afraid that his night wakings are a problem..coz wen he wakes up he wants to bf..n may be m bf him too much at the night...since most ppl say their babies sleep thru the night then y does my baby needs 2 3 times bf in the night?

Offline Batool huzaifa

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 03:42:35 am »
Also y is he taking so long to get sleep trained??.. he was dng fine now he is not..tracy had said in her book tht in hercwrst case a baby took 2 weeks to get sleep trained..i already gave him 2 weeks excpet a day on wchich we had to go out.. how long will it take..

Offline Batool huzaifa

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 09:01:00 am »
Today he took a good 1 hour to go to sleep after his bath...which is aweful...in the past it usualy took 5 to 10 mins to make him sleep...dont know wats gng wrong:(

Offline becj86

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 09:16:08 am »
Those 45min naps in place of long ones, could well be that he needs more A time - try 3:15 as a starting point.

All these inconsistencies - they are probably part of why he's taking longer to sleep train than you expected. I think also your expectations might be a little unrealistic - he's not a robot. At this point in his life, he's going through a mental leap, a growth spurt, you teaching him to sleep independently and setting up a routine when he's not previously had one. That's a lot of new information and experiences to assimilate into his life. He's not read the book - he cannot reason through the changes that are happening in his life and put them into perspective.

Its actually normal for babies of 6 months to still have 2-3 night feeds.

Offline Batool huzaifa

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 03:11:04 am »
I think u r right...ine thing thats troubling me the most is tht i cant go nywhr wid him...coz he doesnt sleep anywhr even if he has a scheduled nap..he becomes overatimukated very easily.. i have a question..if i bf him wen he wakes up at night n he goes to sleep on my breast will that make him forget to self soothe n go back to sleep on his own?? N can this be the reason for taking so long to sleep train him??