Author Topic: How to get two year old out of our room?  (Read 1028 times)

Offline 4 under 5

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 24, 2016, 21:27:06 pm »
My 2 year old has co slept with me since birth. I've breastfed her to sleep and that was that. Now she's self weaned and I'm thinking maybe soon I could move her out.
She loves to rub my arms before sleep. Its comfort to her.

Tonight just out of the blue I suggested she sleep in her sister Eve's bed. She wanted to so I tucked her in and said goodnight.

Then I had to go into her a few times she wanted into my bed, I lay with her saying how pretty Eve's room was etc and then she started talking about monsters! I told her no monsters we sprayed them all away etc. she wasn't crying or anything but I could see she was a little freaked so took her back into my room.

What's the best way to approach this without tears! :-) thanks in advance

Offline Nauvoo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
    • Concrete Picture Frames
Re: How to get two year old out of our room?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 22:59:10 pm »
I would keep suggesting it throughout the day.  Prussia have her come up with some ideas to feel safe there. If you can make it her idea......... if that didn't work after time then perhaps lying with her in her sisters room and then gradual withdrawing.
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

[url=http://concretepicture.wordpress.com]Concrete Picture
Frames[

Offline 4 under 5

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 23:25:57 pm »
Ok thank you. That's a good idea. When you mean lying in her sisters room, is she allowed to rub my arms? Do I stay with her until she is asleep?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 00:17:02 am »
I think.you might want to help her find a lovey or blanky she would rub instead as that kind of prop is tough to break (DD3 used to rub my palm - I just cold turkey stopped sticking my hand in her crib). There was definitely crying/upset during the process though - not sure you can get through a change like this with a toddler and not get some protesting! Was her sister in the room when you were getting her to sleep?
Heidi

Offline 4 under 5

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 08:33:48 am »
Thanks for your reply. Yes her sister was in the room. I could wear long sleeves perhaps and may e take her to the shop to find a lovie. Have tried her with a few before but no joy.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 20:27:21 pm »
This might sound like a step backwards if you've already made the move into the other room but I'll say it anyway in case it helps...
how about introducing a lovey to her whilst she still goes to sleep in your bed, so first she attaches to the lovey and then she moves to the other room?
I would probably just choose something for her (well, I would say that because I encouraged attachment to muslin squares for DS) and when she settles down for sleeping have it positioned so she is rubbing/holding it at the same time as your arm, and gradually move her hand to the lovey, it could be a bit back and forth to begin with with the aim of her holding the lovey rather than you when she nods off.  You could then let her build the power of the lovey by bringing it with you during the day, if she has cuddles with you give her the lovey too, if she has a bump give her the lovey as well as the usual cuddles and sympathy etc.
Then she may feel more confident to move to the other room with her lovey?
Just a thought.

Offline 4 under 5

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 20:42:24 pm »
Thank you. That sounds like a lovely idea. Is a muslin square just a piece of material? I'm not sure which one to go for. I really like that idea. Sounds very gentle. Thank you.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 20:59:44 pm »
Yes it's just a square of muslin fabric with a sewn edge and generally a wash label (mine LOVES the wash label, in fact loves it so much we had to replace a batch of wash labels with some satin type ribbon because he had rubbed them totally away!)
Ours are a sort of creamish colour, unbleached cotton, but really nothing special at all, something like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/PREMIUM-QUALITY-BABY-MUSLIN-SQUARES-COTTON-SUPERSOFT/dp/B00EXVJH4W/ref=sr_1_23?s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1458939147&sr=1-23

Everyone around here knows how much I love our muslin lovies, because you get lots in a pack it doesn't matter if one is dirty, lost or whatever because there is always another lovely clean fresh one available.  At 3yo mine took a quarter size (we just chopped and hemmed a few) muslin in his pocket to nursery so he had its power of comfort the entire day. Now at 5yo he has one in his trouser pocket at school and everyone just thinks it's a handkerchief, little do they know he has lovey/Mummy love power in his pocket ;)
Even when I am available for immediate cuddles when he gets hurt I guarantee he will 'need' his muslin at the same time, it has so much power.

Offline 4 under 5

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 22:26:42 pm »
Awh that is such a lovely story. Thanks for the link. Strange they go for something like that :-) I was looking at this but perhaps no need.
https://www.google.ie/search?q=muslin+square+lovie&client=safari&hl=en&prmd=ivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZ4Ze82tzLAhXBtQ8KHY_ABZ4Q_AUIBygB&biw=768&bih=928#imgrc=nb25mrg5tMUp2M%3A

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 23:07:07 pm »
Those are pretty cute! I know I had a satin edged blanky as a toddler and I wore it out rubbing it between my hands.
Heidi

Offline 4 under 5

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 23:37:42 pm by 4 under 5 »

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 08:05:43 am »
Looks sweet, hope she likes it :)

Offline 4 under 5

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 09:00:15 am »
Ill do all those things you suggested and try it out. Fingers crossed thanks for the suggestion. X