Author Topic: 6 week old erratic naps and prolonged awake times  (Read 1236 times)

Offline angie_momof2

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6 week old erratic naps and prolonged awake times
« on: March 26, 2016, 02:30:18 am »
Hello, Im new here and desperately need some advice.
My 6 week old boy was previously a good napper (taking 1.5-2hr naps) up until about a week or so ago. I dont really know what went wrong. I can tell that he is overtired and possibly overstimulated (but its hard to tell). He goes down for his initial nap quite easily, i try my best to do a proper wind-down routine and I usually start with the shush-pat while holding him to settle him and put him down while in stage 2, or I put him down awake and relaxed and he will fall asleep on his own. The problem is he wakes from his naps anywhere from 20-45 mins in, I usually try and see if he will fall back to sleep on his own but he either looks around for a short while and then cries, or he will wake up crying (sometimes due to gas pains or so I think). Another problem is that when trying to resettle him and send him back to sleep with SP he will start giving hunger cues like hands to mouth or doing the hunger cry (cough/wa,wa,wa), but it has been less than 1.5-2hr since his last feed so I'm pretty sure he's not really hungry (not to mention that I have tried feeding him due to the cues and he will only eat maybe 1/2-1 ounce if that) I try the pacifier and he gets angry that there is not milk coming out (I formula feed him). Also he starts giving sleepy cues around 45 min but he takes so long to eat that I usually don't put him to nap until around 1-1.15 hr and awake time turns out to be about 1.30, as the day goes on though the awake time extends as he only naps very short times and will usually not go back to sleep until after the next feeding when he is very tired and also does not eat efficiently and is falling asleep. I am trying my best to follow an EASY routine but it is just not working out as he ends up being awake for so long before feeds and ends up falling asleep after feeds. In regards to being overstimulated most of the time when he is awake he is "wide eyed", when not crying or giving hunger cues. I also have a 25 month old who loved to be in his face and around him which I really try to limit to avoid overstimulation. Am I missing something here? I have tried to put him to start WD sooner, around 45 mins when I see his first or second yawn, in which he will usually fall asleep at about 55 mins, but this still hasn't helped lengthen his naps. I was going trying to do wake-to-sleep when his naps were 45 mins but then he started to wake up after 30 mins before I could get to him, sometimes to poop/burp/pass gas and it is difficult to get him back to sleep after that. I am just completely at a loss here, I feel like I am spending a majority of my day trying to get him to nap and it is just getting worse. He is always giving hunger cues but I know he is not hungry, and when its time to eat he is so tired he takes forever to eat and is constantly falling asleep during in which he wont burp effectively and ends up waking up from nap to spit up or crying. I don't know if im overfeeding him or overstimulating him or what...I just feel hopeless as I know he is very tired but he just won't nap. At night he wakes up to feed at about 1-2 and around 4-5 and will usually go right back to sleep. I do the cluster feedings and dream feed but sometimes, like last night, he will get fussy and when trying to put him down to sleep after/between feeds  he will wake up when set down or after a few minutes, and we will continue with the vicious cycle for hours (8pm-12am) until he finally falls asleep in my arms (I just give up at this point and let him sleep in my arms for at least 1/2-1hr) to be sure he wont wake up from jolts and is in a deep sleep. At night he does make baby noises and moves a lot but I don't respond unless he full out cries, I usually try the pacifier first but if it doesn't work i feed him and back to bed. I know this is a lot but I feel like it has just been getting progressively worse and I just want to make sure that my LO gets his much need beauty sleep. PLEASE HELP!

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: 6 week old erratic naps and prolonged awake times
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 21:40:10 pm »
Hi Angie and welcome to BW forums1 :)
I am sorry you're going through a difficult time right now. It can really get to us, can it:/

First of all, from what you've written you are doing really well. It's not always that you are doing something wrong, ba it's never because you're doing something wrong. Sometimes it's because LO is going through a difficult stage or something is bothering them.
This time, at the beginning, is hard, probably the worst. But you know what you're doing. Be proud of yourself! :)

Could you write down how it looks like in an easy format? I.e.:
7 WO
7:20 5oz formula (I would love to know how much does he have each time)
8 nap...

From what I can tell you right now, it appears that he needs sucking. The fact that he doesn't like pacifier def makes it harder:/

Do you swaddle? Do you burp him?

With wake to sleep, it can sometimes be too distracting for a child so little. The other thing you could do is come in around the time you know he will wake and rub his cheek or pat his back, rub his back (here you have to find out what will work) at the first fussing signs. So basically shh/pat r pat when he starts to stirr. Does that make sense?

Do not worry, he will nap. We just need to find out what is going on.

Offline angie_momof2

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 23:01:17 pm »
Thank you for your response.
So his schedule/routine is very flexible and the times are different everyday, he basically wants to eat all the time and doesn't stay asleep I always try the pacifier first but sometimes it upsets him more. This is yesterday's schedule:
7AM W/E(3oz)
745 S
830 W crying to eat
9 E (3oz)
10 S
1024 W
1115 E(3oz)
1230PM S
1 W
220 E(4oz)
310-350 S
352-415 S
515 E (3oz)
540-627 S
630-7 S
730 E(3oz)
850-920 S
920 E (2oz)
1015-1145 S
1145 E (2oz)
will eat again around 2 and again around 4-5, most days he will go straight back to sleep but sometimes he wakes up again around 6 wanting to eat.

I usually will try and hold him over to eat until at least 2.5 hours but it is a struggle when he is crying. There is no way I can be on EASY at this time as he wakes up and it has been only 2 hours since the last feed. He is gaining a lot of weight and I just switched his formula from nutramigen to soy in hopes that it will help with his gasiness and what I presume is discomfort causing him to wake up. He takes up to an hour to eat 3 ounces

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 22:03:14 pm »
I think it's his need of sucking that is making him look like he is hungry. If he would be, drinking 3oz would take him 10min... Is he crying after 3oz is done? Sometimes adding an extra oz can keep him full longer.

I am not formula expert... Is there a reason you've chosen nutramigen. It feels very HA... His naps are short, and maybe it is hunger. I wonder if he wants to snack because he likes sucking.

Do not stress about EASY being 2.5 instead of 3h. He is still very little. It's all the things coming after each other rather being timed at this age.

Offline tathi-b

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 18:12:15 pm »
Hello there,

Sounds like you are having a tough time!  I hope it gets better.

Could it be that he has a bit of reflux?  That could explain why he is spitting up and cries to eat?  Sometimes, the acid can give him heartburn so when you put him down he is obviously tired and sleeps for the first 0 - 30 minutes, but as he is on his back, the acid creeps up and gives him heartburn thus waking him up so he doesn't get the benefit of the full nap and is therefore overtired so has a hard time falling asleep.  When he sleeps on you he is at an angle so is likely to sleep better?

I had a similar issue with my baby around the same time and it turned out to be silent reflux due to milk protein intolerance - she was also bottle fed.  Once I elevated her bed and changed her formula she was a changed baby (up until 16 week sleep regression when she refuses to nap!).

I hope it gets better for you! x

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 13:54:05 pm »
Hi! I agree with other mums! I was in similar situtation with my DD when she was very little (3 weeks old!) and we found out she has silent reflux and the dummy, frequent burping, reclined matress and being held upright 30 min after feeds helped A LOT. She was also a good napper until she turned 6 weeks too (and lots of crying!) and she still takes shorts naps (8 weeks now)  :(
i'll be following this post  ;)

Offline tathi-b

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 14:10:00 pm »
I was thinking about this a little and maybe you could raise the cot head a bit and see if it works? Of course see a paediatrician as well but raising the cot could be a quick fix if it's reflux.

Hope he sleeps for you

X