Author Topic: Almost 13 months and Still NW  (Read 1033 times)

Offline theu.s.lees

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
    • Neyssa Lee Photography
Almost 13 months and Still NW
« on: March 28, 2016, 15:03:48 pm »
Hello! I've been all over this board with DD. She's never been a great sleeper but we had seemed to make some progress just after she turned a year old. However, that was very short lived. It seems like no matter what we do she has 2-3 NW. Her routine is

WU: 8/8:30
S - 12:45-2:45 (this is on school run days as I have to take DS to school at 12:30 and pick him up at 3)
BT - 7pm

At first she had a runny nose, but a humidifier helped and she was doing better. Then she had an awful rash from eating too many blueberries and so we switched her from cloth at night to disposable to help that. Then she started STTN (2 times) so we decided to stick with disposable diapers, but now she's back to several NW. I've tried motrin for teething, but her first NW is around 2am anyways, so it would've worn off by then. And we've tried keeping her room warmer/cooler. etc. Her bed is elevated to help with the runny nose, though that seems to be going away. Any ideas? Please and thank you.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Almost 13 months and Still NW
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 19:17:21 pm »
Hi there, for us at that age in a 3 hour nap we would need at least a 12.5/13 hour day. Your day is 11 hours am I right? Could she be UT?
Zoe

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 22:19:01 pm »
Second what Haribo says. It's 2h nap but still very short day. And a short first A. Is she ready for one nap?
~Marta

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 07:30:04 am »
Oops yes 2 hour nap  ;D
Zoe

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 17:43:26 pm »
Just doing BT here but will be back. Hudson sounds a lot like Annabel!
Emma

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 19:38:27 pm »
Hi hun. Sorry you are still struggling, I know how hard these longterm NWs can get :( First off, I agree with the others about the length of her day - could definitely be worth pushing that out a bit.  Other than that, I just wanted to share what's helped us our girls do seem quite similar (troublesome!).

Annabel has been very prone to long NWs, and has occasionally gone wonky with EWs and/or bad naps. Mostly the NWs though. She is now 16 months and still doesn't STTN consistently, but it's much better than it was. She does sleep through sometimes, otherwise she will either self settle or only need a quick reassurance. The long NWs do still happen but only once every couple of weeks or so (it used to be pretty much every night). I tried tweaking, various methods of settling, advice from ladies here, and tbh none of it made much difference. She was an IS, no props, no NFs, so I came to the conclusion that she is just very affected and easily disturbed by anything and everything! Teeth, developmental stuff, etc etc. So partly I think she's better because we're past the rolling, crawling, standing, walking phases, and she has most of her teeth! But also since nothing I did was working i went with set times to take the guess work out. So since 13 months when she went to one nap it's been set at 12pm with BT at 7pm.  I never go earlier than 11:30 and 6:30. Her WU time has varied from 5:30-8, nap length from 1h20-3 hrs  (she's nothing if not unpredictable!), but even though her sleep amounts differ it's definitely improved things and I think she self regulates fairly well.  I used to try to work out A times and shift things around, especially if she'd had a bad night and I would try to get her to catch up somewhere, but this way it's much easier. She sleeps at those times and that's it. Your nap time seems like it's working well, but you say that's on school days. What does she do the rest of the time? It could be worth putting her down at the same time every day, maybe with a 7:30 BT?

What do you do when she wakes at night?  Again, I found being completely consistent has helped with NWs. Previously I'd tried meds, cuddles, drinks etc, and ended up at a point where I was on her floor half the night and still nobody was sleeping. So I stuck to WI/WO and now if I have to go in it's usually only once or twice, and even if she's awake for a long time it's more grumbling than full on crying as it was before so at least we are all in our beds and I'm not right next to her with both of us getting frustrated!  I know some LOs find WI/WO too stimulating so obviously it depends on her temperament what works best, but if it seems like nothing is working then I would just pick something and stick with it! Hope some of that helps.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 19:41:47 pm by Emami »
Emma

Offline theu.s.lees

• Showing Appreciation 12
    • Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 13:53:19 pm »
Thank you everyone. She finally cut that top tooth and we've been trying a few things. One is a longer A to BT. Maybe we should try the set BT. I do try to keep days the same even if there is no school. Though she may go down a tad earlier (say 12:15) because she's tired and doesn't have to wait for us to return from the school run. She is also up earlier those days too. Yesterday was weird with a 10-CN in the car on the way home from the park. Then she wouldn't go down for her nap until just after 1. Slept until 3:30 and then a 7:45 BT. She had 1 NW where DH gave her milk. And that's it. I not sure she will ever STTN. But once feels a little better I guess. It seems if we cut her naps shorter than 2:30 hrs she's OT the rest of the day.