Author Topic: 2-1 transition help - 14 months  (Read 730 times)

Offline Laura_kap

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 29, 2016, 00:43:59 am »
Hello BW mummies and daddies

i'm so tired I can barely type this - so I apologize in advance if this rambles….

My 14 month old has been struggling with the 2-1 transition, we are ALL over the map.
She is a Spirited Angel type (so transitions are typically difficult), this is my second BW Baby (3 year old who is working through the 1-0 transition right now (joy)) so I'm pretty well versed, but can't seem to see the forest through the trees here - help would be appreciated.

I'll start 4 weeks ago - that's when we went on vacation (boom) and she was very resistant to afternoon naps…and mostly had 2 hour single naps most days, and seemed to do alright.  Since then all over the place.

FYI this week she is congested, so that's not helping her Night wakings….but I'll post how today went and key in on some regular occurrences:

6am? Awake - ( I slept on her floor because she was waking herself up snotty most of the night and had a hard time sleeping) I stood up at 6:15 to try and fix my back - and she screamed out as soon as I stood…so I think she woke around 6…best guess.
7am decent breakfast
9am bottle
9:30 - she was so tired from her poor night that I made the call to put her down - slept until 12:30 (3hour nap)
12:40 lunch - decent
2:30 bottle
3:00 tried to put her down for an afternoon nap after almost 3 hours A TIME….no dice.
** Typical*** SO when She'd been awake since early afternoon (usual on 1 nap days that she goes 11-1ish) I try for the early bed-time to help get her the sleep she needs…
Bath/bed routine 5:30-6:30 depending on day *** HOWVER*** she's been treating the early bedtime like a nap and waking after an hour or so…then playing/crying for 3-4 hours afterward…last night I couldn't get her down until after 10!

I'm not sure what to do..I'm clearly missing something…help would be appreciated.

thank you kindly in advance! :-*

Offline Emami

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: 2-1 transition help - 14 months
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 19:52:43 pm »
Is she mostly having one or two nap days at the moment?  If sheso having a day where you don't think she can make it with only one, I would cap the first nap at 30mins. I know it's hard to do (I HATE waking get a sleeping baby), especially after a bad night. But it's pretty common for LOs to refuse an afternoon nap if they've slept well in the morning, and then they're a wreck by BT.  By just allowing a short am nap it takes the edge off so that they can make it to their 'real' nap a couple of hours later. So your day could like like this:
WU 6am
Nap 9:30-10
Nap 12:30-2:30
BT 6:30/7

If she's had a better night or gives you a later WU I'd stick to what you've been doing, so nap at 11:30/12 - 1:30/2, with earlier BT if you have to.
Emma