Author Topic: needing some advice for our 3mo silent reflux baby :(  (Read 861 times)

Offline mummyW

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
needing some advice for our 3mo silent reflux baby :(
« on: March 29, 2016, 14:17:40 pm »
Hi all,

Our 2nd little girl is 3 months old, she's been diagnosed with silent reflux and has been on medication since she was 6 weeks old. Until we got her on medication I literally couldn't put her down. She has never fallen asleep anywhere but on someone or in the pram.

My first daughter I taught from the word go to fall asleep on her own, she had a dummy and was easy to settle. At 4 months I remember putting her down on our bed to get ready and when I turned around she was sound! She's now 2 and self soothes every night without a dummy.

I haven't been able to do that this time as Emily has been in so much pain all the time. She will sometimes use a dummy but I need to hold it in until she's asleep. If I'm holding her it's also very difficult to put her down once she's asleep and she will often wake up within minutes. I swaddle her at night but she still wriggles so much she's weakening herself.

Is there any way I can start to help her to self soothe and hopefully get her into some sort of routine?

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: needing some advice for our 3mo silent reflux baby :(
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 16:01:03 pm »
At the 3-month milestone, it's sometimes hard to know whether something going on is happening because of a growth spurt (which is also often a developmental leap) or something else (like reflux or teething or a cold).

Is she definitely pain-free now? If you give her any floor time (even on her back) where she's horizontal during her A time, is she OK with that? If not, if she's still in pain, then sleep training isn't going to work yet. Note: with the 3-month growth spurt there may be a need to adjust medication dosage as her weight increases.

I'd start there. :)