Author Topic: Tips for time zone change due to travel  (Read 820 times)

Offline Cvbaby2014

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 30, 2016, 19:36:47 pm »
Hello!  I am taking my 21 month old to Europe from Canada.  I took him twice in his first year of life - at 6 months and 11 months.
At 6 months - we went for 3 weeks and he was still breastfeeding frequently - so he was up many times in the night!  But he was young and that was fine...I was very tired on the other hand!
At 11 months - he wasn't waking for a feed at this point and I decided to try keep him on Canada time as I was only going for 6 days - this worked like a charm with the help of blackout curtains.
Now he is older - I wasn't sure if keeping him on Canada time would work, especially as we are doing a lot of travel in the early part of the trip.  We are flying to the UK, then to mainland Europe for a few days then back to the UK.

Any tips?  Should we just regardless of what we are doing, try and keep him on Canada time?  The trip will be 9 days long in total.  Or do we gradually move him - as this will happen naturally anyway (it did very slowly last time)?
I just dont want him to start night waking as he is going to be exhausted - and I will have no idea when to put him down for a nap.
right now he sleeps 7-7, with a nap around 12pm.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Tips for time zone change due to travel
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 20:42:29 pm »
I think I'd go with the flow really, rather than pre-planning too much.  For a 9 day trip I'd say it would be tough to keep on Canada time especially if travelling.  What's the actual time difference?   Have you seen this link also? Staying on track with LO's routine while traveling

Offline Cvbaby2014

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 19:03:24 pm »
It is tough not to pre-plan when you have lots of friends and family wanting to schedule time with you!
It is a 5 hour time difference (UK is ahead of Canada)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 09:26:38 am »
I know! But it's a holiday and any disruption to sleep will be temporary, it's only 9 days before you will be back home and can get back on track :) Having realistic expectations probably helps - sleep will be a bit off and you probably will get a bit of NW until he adjusts.  Not the end of the world though :) What time of day are you flying?  I'd personally try to stay fairly schedule free at least the first couple of days then hopefully things will settle a bit more and you can enjoy the trip properly x