Author Topic: 30min Nap Help, 6 month old  (Read 1057 times)

Offline 1sttimer86

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 30, 2016, 20:00:15 pm »
Hi. I'm new to the forum.
Founf out about the sshh/pat method from here. I was considering pupd but luckily I haven't had to use it, although only day 1! So far, sshh/pat has been great but she won't sleep longer then 30 mins. I have extended her awake time to 2 hrs, previously working on 1.5hrs.
She took 3x 30 min naps today. Previously she did 1 hr, 2 hr, 45 mins..... I think she napped too much and woke a lot at night. She went to sleep for 7.45 this evening and hasn't woke yet so, so far so good.
Just want some advice on how to extend at least one of these 30 min naps or will I leave it a few days and see what happens??
Sorry, this is probably a bit all over the place, hope it makes sense. :-\

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: 30min Nap Help, 6 month old
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 21:07:57 pm »
Hi there and welcome!  Could you post your EASY?  That makes it a lot easier for us to see if there are any subtle little tweaks needed.  One thing I can suggest, most babies around 6 months are awake for 2.5 -3 hrs, sometimes more.  Have you tried a consistent time of 3 hrs?  I've attached the average A time chart below, it's very helpful!  I look forward to seeing your EASY  :)
Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

Offline 1sttimer86

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 21:42:37 pm »
Thankyou!!
Today was as follows....
8.30 awake
8.45 bottle
10.30 nap routine ( sleep bag, song, cuddle)
10.45 - 11.20 sleep
12.30 bottle
13.10 nap routine
13.20 - 13.55 sleep
(spent the next hour trying to go back to sleep, wouldn't  :()
15.45 Bottle
16.10 nap routine.... Lay awake in cot until oh stroked her head
17.10 - 17.40 sleep
19.15 bedtime routine starts with bottle
19.45 asleep 😄
Fell asleep for first 2 naps with sshh pat, tried pupd for second nap to try and get her back to sleep, gave up after an hour, third nap i had to pop out so oh stroked her head to sleep.
She was in good form, but was very tired going to bed but went to sleep quickly and easily... Just such a big change from previous day where she was cuddled to sleep and would nap a lot longer.
Also, she used to only go 1.5 hrs before her first nap and showed signs today at approx. 1hr 45 after being awake.
Many thanks for having a look at this for me! 😄

Offline lauradj

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 03:58:54 am »
Ok, I would definitely suggest you try and A push of 2.5hrs.  She will show tired signs earlier but just redirect her with a gentle activity.  You could also try taking her swimming or to a Mom and Baby class, something that will stimulate her and keep her busy so she doesn't realize the time has passed.  I think your nap issues primarily stem from her simply not being tired enough to sleep when you're asking her to. 
I was wondering, when you say "Shh Pat to sleep", are you doing Shh-Pat right from the get-go or are you going in after she has started to cry? 

Offline 1sttimer86

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 07:24:57 am »
Ok, will push the awake time. And i'm using sshh pat to get her over, she hadn't cried so again I will work on that today. Many thanks for your help. Will let you know how I get on.

Offline 1sttimer86

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 16:23:21 pm »
Just to let you know, things have worked out brilliantly!! The extended awake time has done the trick. She goes into her cot now and naps without any intervention and can nap anywere from 30-90 mins which is great. She has also slept from 8-7 the last 2 nights which again is brilliant.
Many thanks for your advice!!!  ;D ;D :)

Offline lauradj

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 21:36:07 pm »
Great!  I'm so happy to hear you got it all sorted out  :D  You are very welcome