Author Topic: 2-1 nap transition for 13mo  (Read 1314 times)

Offline stefwef

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 31, 2016, 15:55:19 pm »
I'm a bit stuck and am hoping someone here can unstick me!

Our 13.5mo has been on 2 naps since 6mo, and beautifully so. Lately we've had EWU, night wakings, and having a hard time falling asleep for naps (and truncated naps as I wake her by 11AM or by 3:45PM for AM and PM naps, or after at least 30min if she falls asleep past the window).

Schedule used to be 12.5TWT with 3 - 3:30 - 4:30 wake times

6:30WU
9:45-11 nap
2:30-3:45 nap
8 sleep

Lately she's been doing 9 hr stretches at night and waking for the day at 5AM.
Her wake times are shifted to 3:45 - 4 - 4:30/5 which seems like too long a day - causing the night wakings?

If I'm able to put her back to sleep:
her first nap is starting closer to 10:30
Her second nap is starting closer to 3
bedtime is shifting to 8:30.

If I'm not able, she falls asleep in car around 3:45 mark dropping sister to preschool.

I have had to wake her from every single nap at 11AM and at 3:45AM for the past 3 or so months, and am wondering if we should just switch to 1. She's really tired when her morning nap is only 30min. But the issue is her sister's preschool pickup is 12:30.... So I'm hoping I can keep 2 naps until June when school is out.

Her last molar is coming in, and looks like canines peeping through as well. But it looks when she wakes as thought it might be separating anxiety? Sigh.

Any ideas?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: 2-1 nap transition for 13mo
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 16:54:22 pm »
All those signs for sure point to the 2-1, have a look at this FAQ: From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)

I can totally see where it would be simpler to keep two naps until school is out - what about shortening the morning nap to a catnap to keep the afternoon nap.late enough to fit in the school run? The day does tend to be longer during the switch but 9 hrs overnight sleep is pretty short for a lo and might work against the transition as they get into an ot/ut loop.
Heidi

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: 2-1 nap transition for 13mo
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 21:25:09 pm »
Hi there,
Not to interrupt, but I will move your post to toddler sleep as your baby came into that magical stage :)