Author Topic: Shh pat is hard, please help!  (Read 9313 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Shh pat is hard, please help!
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2016, 11:53:32 am »
Well that sounds wonderful that she is sleeping better with the higher dose.
I am assuming you had a trusted source for the dose increase.

My DS also had a milk thickener, sorry I dont' remember if you are formula or BF but a thickener can be given either way, just given differently.  DS's was carobel

Offline oofy2016

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2016, 10:54:03 am »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the source was a friend who is a pediatrician and she is now on the right dose I hope.

The pediatrician has also given us losec mups to try to see if that helps alongside the ranitidine.

She only woke 3x the last two nights, which is insane!

Hopefully this trend continues. I'm being very cautious about jinxing myself.

Thank you so much to everyone on here who gave advice and supported us.

X

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2016, 18:01:34 pm »
Wow 3 times is such a dramatic improvement. I hope you get some much needed sleep too xx

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2016, 19:01:05 pm »
That's amazing :D Really hope it continues and well done you for trusting your instincts xx

Offline oofy2016

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2016, 19:21:26 pm »
Hi,

So, we have now been on omeprazole for a week and also ranitidine.....and for the last three nights she's only woken once. I didn't quite know what to do with myself. We haven't changed anything else, so I can only conclude that she has been in pain all this time, which I find really upsetting. But I am so happy that she is comfortable and able to sleep now.

I feel horrifically guilty, looking through my diary, I've been asking the doc if it was silent reflux since she was 6 weeks old and have been batted back every time. I wish I had really insisted, but as a new first time mum, what was I to know? If doctors always say that is isn't silent reflux, it's hard to argue when I'm not a doctor myself. I guess e silver lining is that we got there in the end, and didn't go hardcore sleep training with her. I would have felt horrific if we had taken that path, as there was pressure to do from so many people around us.

I wanted to say an absolutely huge thank you to everyone who gave advice on here...it seems that the gentle sleep training has paid off and now she is comfy we are all getting more sleep. It's early days and I don't want to jinx it, but this has been such a marked improvement.

So if anyone is reading this and really struggling with frequent waking  despite following all the 'rules' please see your doctor and ask about silen reflux. No one should have to go through what we went through for so long. There is no reason not to try medications that don't have many side effects if there is evidence enough that silent reflux may be playing a part. I am angry at our doctor for disregarding me as a neurotic mum when I repeatedly asked her about silen reflux. But I just have to move on and get over that. There is nothing I can do to change that now....

But thank you to everyone on here who helped with the sleep and encouraged me to go back and really hassle the doctors until we got what we needed.

Thanks and best wishes.
X

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2016, 07:36:05 am »
It's wonderful to hear that your DD is sleeping so peacefully!!  :D :D :D

I could have written your post almost word for word.  I totally understand your feelings of sadness at the realisation that she was not comfortable, the guilt it brings, the anger and frustration of being treated like a neurotic mum (argh! I used to FUME every time someone said to me "Oh this is your first?" with a tone that meant "I'm going to ignore everything you say because you are crazy". I still get it although these days it's "Oh he's your only one" with a tone that means "You are still crazy and have too much time on your hands having only one kid") and I understand too that being angry doesn't help - you (we) have to move on and be glad that phase is over.
Everything you said is exactly how I felt.  The help and support I received here on BW forums was life changing.

The one big thing I learned was that if there is a gut feeling, that "Mummy instinct" which comes from who knows where, it is worth following.  I've had that feeling over several things with my DS and never really been able to put my finger on exactly why I felt it, but every single time that instinct has been right although pooh-poohed by medical staff for ages. My approach now is that if I have a feeling I push for attention, if I am proven wrong then that's fine at least I know it has been explored properly, but like I say up to now I have only been proven right. It takes lots of energy to push and to get past those "Oh you are a first time mum" and "oh he is your only child" barriers...but worth it.

Well done you!!  Really well done.  It takes great strength to keep pushing for help and to remain firm in your beliefs (on gentle sleep training and your choice of parent methods) when there is so much external pressure - you did great honey!  :-*

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2016, 04:18:56 am »
:D so happy for you!!! Well done mummy xx

Offline oofy2016

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2016, 09:10:25 am »
Thank you. :-) :-)
Hoping it continues! Xxxxxxxxx

Offline oofy2016

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2016, 14:39:00 pm »
Ps creations I totally understand what you mean by 'oh, you are a first time mum' and 'oh, he's your only child' from medical professionals and other adults alike. It's been driving me crazy that just because I'm a first time mum my instincts are disregarded and the medical assumption is that I'm neurotic and crazy and its 'normal for babies to cry'. It certainly made me feel crazy at times, especially with the severe sleep deprivation.
I feel like going on a crusade to stop mums being treated like this when we are already feeling incredibly vulnerable and only too aware that we have a lot to learn. Surely consultations with doctors should be encouraged to avoid illnesses being mis diagnosed or missed altogether, which almost happened to us, thanks to a GP who now admits that she 'doesn't believe in silent reflux'. Pah.
I just need to get over the guilt that I've been asking about silent reflux since my daughter was 6 weeks, but never had the confidence to get really stroppy and push it with the doctors, as I took their word for it that she didn't have it. Now, I have absolutely no doubt. There has been such a HUGE change in her general demeanour and sleep (we still get blips) without changing anything else, there is no way she isn't responding to the medication, and responding well.

I can't thank you all enough. You were my lifeline when no one would listen to me and we were trying to sort this sleep. This forum is worth its weight in gold. Thank you.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2016, 18:06:53 pm »
This forum is worth its weight in gold.
It certainly is :)
And I'm sure one day soon you will be supporting someone else here with a similar problem.  You will be able to share your experience and help another mum feel confident enough to go back to a GP or be more assertive in her request for a referral.  This is our little crusade, right here, empowering parents and helping LOs sleep more comfortably :)

Offline oofy2016

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2016, 15:17:50 pm »
I'd be very happy to help and hopefully I can as you say.
I'm Happy to be contacted by anyone with questions or issues.
Our sleep is by no means perfect so I'm sure I'll be on these boards in the future,  and will keep half an eye out for similar situations. :-)

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2016, 11:52:41 am »
That's great :D  We really rely on those who've been helped here paying it forward to help others out in similar situations.  Please don't wait to be asked either - if you see a post and feel you have something to offer then dive right in!!  So glad things are better for you xx

Offline oofy2016

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2016, 13:07:24 pm »
Hi there,

We are a long way further on, but DD is still waking 3x over night. (some nights are worse, but this is the general rule).

She generally wakes at 11.45 ish and I can pupd her, then at 1 when I feed and then at 5ish when I feed, hoping she will sleep later in the morning.
she is still climbing up the centiles, so is gaining weight but not stable on the charts just yet.

Is it realistic, now she is more comfortable, to try to completely stop night wakings, or should I expect to still be feeding at this stage, especially given her history (allergies, reflux, failure to thrive)?

If it is realistic to stop night feedings, how do I do this? Do i just pupd at each waking to stop it? If she is hungry (either from habit, or real) will she not then wake frequently afterwards?

Thanks for any advice. If i need to start a new thread as this one is getting a bit long, please just let me know.

x

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2016, 21:27:30 pm »
Is your LO about 9 months now?
I'm not sure if you have said previously if BF or formula?
For now I would continue to feed at night, it's just 2 feeds is that right? Plus an additional NW?

Offline oofy2016

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2016, 09:23:39 am »
Hi Creations,

Thanks. She is about to turn 10 months now. :-) I'm happy with two wake ups, so will continue to feed. It's how I stop the other wakings...or do they just go with the territory?
I go back to work and for instance, last night she woke 7x and I'm nervous I won't be able to function. A friend has to.d me that if she is waking overnight she will be chronically sleep deprived and this will be causing her lack of appetite - is this possible? 

I've been looking at our routine and am wondering if our morning nap is too long...it's usually 2- 2.5 hours. In the baby whisperer solves all your problems, Tracy says not to let them nap too long...but I can't find what qualifies as too long - do you know?

Thanks so much,

X x x