Author Topic: I need some help**Update may 23rd!  (Read 19284 times)

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: I need some help**more help pg 2 THRUSH
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2016, 21:35:10 pm »
:( Thrush is horrid. Glad they know what they're doing though with the loading doses and treating both you and DD at the same time. FX that clears quickly!

With the grazing, are you getting a misshapen nipple after feeds? If so, the latch isn't right, often not deep enough, which can be hard when you're engorged.

I'm sure you know this but if you're not feeding, lots of hot showers and expressing and massaging to keep the milk flowing both for supply and prevention of mastitis.

Sending healing and pain-free feed vibes ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2016, 06:28:46 am »
Oh love. It just sounds horrendous. You've done so well to get to here. Sending so much love xxx
Catherine x

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2016, 07:15:52 am »
Oh Shiv I'm there with you, this sounds exactly like my BF experience, it was horrific.

I didn't read in detail every single reply but did see that you have gel for baby - is this safe with a NB I wonder because 5 years back the gel was not to be used on young babies due to choke risk (I suppose a glob of it could go back in the mouth, I imagine it's as uncontrollable as a glob of bonjella teething gel which rarely stays put).  For DS we used mouth drops for the oral thrush, just a eye dropper thing so it was a liquid and didn't risk choking, I think as a liquid it spread more evenly around the mouth too.
Perhaps check on the gel?
Perhaps get a quick script for the oral drops for LO.
Keep the gel though as I was told to use this on my nipples rather than non-edible thrush cream.  This info was from my home visit LC.  Basically if you have cream (regular thrush cream) for your nipples you are having to wash it off before a feed which, if it is anything like how I was (and you do sound to be in an equal amount of pain and distress, I really feel for you), is agony to touch or wipe the nipple, it would have been impossible for me to wipe before a feed it hurt so much. so if you use the oral gel instead then you do not have to wipe before the feed, as it is is not a blob of gel it is not a choke risk and gives baby another wee dose of meds as she feeds (which I was assured was safe).

So many hugs for you - I also felt I could not skin to skin, every movement hurt, even standing in a shower having drops of water fall on my breast was excruciating.

My LC advised me to stop BF when I was so damaged (this was before the thrush, I was damaged by a MW hand expressing incorrectly in the hospital as I was having trouble feeding from the get go) and to either FF or express.  I wasn't happy about him having formula but I felt like I was out of options. We mix fed and then I did manage to express all his milk needs for a short while but only ever had about 2 reasonable/manageable BFs when I felt hopeful things would turn out ok. I think for me the nipple sensitivity was going to be an on-going problem though as even without the thrush.
Eventually for me it was the decision to move to formula (expressing every feed and never getting to hold and snuggle DS or play with him because I had to express all day and night, bah I just could't do it, I needed to hold and feed him), I hope for you things can go the other way, if you can get the thrush under control it is going to feel totally different.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2016, 08:16:56 am »
Sorry Shiv, I think I also ought to have said that I know you would be careful with the oral gel or any meds for your LO. I didn't mean to imply that you weren't xxx

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2016, 09:15:29 am »
Nothing to add advice-wise but so many hugs, sounds absolute agony :( :(

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2016, 17:58:55 pm »
Awwww tons more hugs. xo

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2016, 18:06:26 pm »
Lots of hugs, hope things are getting a bit brighter.  You're doing a fab job.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2016, 19:03:14 pm »
More (((hugs))) never had thrush, sounds horrific :( But would second the TT thing, I ended up seeing two LCs on consecutive days (kind of by accident rather than intention) - the first one said absolutely fine, the second said mild posterior TT was definitely affecting feeding, then at a follow-up appt the first LC noticed me in the waiting room and came running up really apologetically, saying she'd since been on a study day and thought DD might have one - then at the clinic the lady who divided it said it was actually moderate rather than mild. At any rate, it does sound like not only the thrush :-\ but hopefully you're under good care for that and any further issues can be raised and monitored :-* :-* Also don't forget this can be such a rubbish time for baby blues so you're likely feeling even worse than you would be otherwise - hopefully in a few days the worst of that will have passed too :-*

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2016, 21:05:43 pm »
Sorry Shiv, I think I also ought to have said that I know you would be careful with the oral gel or any meds for your LO. I didn't mean to imply that you weren't xxx

:-* :-*.  I did question it. The guidelines were changed apparently that it can only be given to someone under 4 months with prescription whereas previously it was licensed to be sold for anyone. But I am wary and being careful. The GP said with such a bad case the gel is more effective. 

Creations how you described it is exactly how I felt yesterday. Like I'm making a choice between pursuing breast feeding at the cost of not snuggling her and being so caught up expressing etc that I'm wasting this precious time.

We've had a better day so far. I managed to feed all feeds myself. Initial latching on is still horrendous but have to say the pain settled. The MW from yesterday called and watched me latch her on and watched the whole feed and she couldn't see any issues at all. She did though give me the name of a dentist who would look at her mouth just to check for tongue tie if I wanted.

Because, my nipples are still a bit misshapen but not the way they were last week. My concern is now I'm feeding more regularly that the damage will start again but hopefully with the thrush being treated the chance of that is less. I've also noticed she gets so sleepy and doesn't unlatch at the end of the feed and I notice it getting sore then so I'm taking her off when she's getting a lazy latch.

Trimbler..totally right about the baby blues. I actually feel so much more rational today. And when she wasn't latching on earlier and getting distressed I felt so much calmer. But I think having a few decent feeds under my belt helped that.

Honestly it would be lovely to fast forward a few weeks and just be sorted.

binxyboo

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2016, 00:32:28 am »
Hugs and I think you are doing fantastic with all that has been thrown at you...baby arriving earlier than expected, now thrush etc. One thing that can often be overlooked is general positioning when feeding. Making sure baby is very well supported during the feed. Sometimes they slip down so gradually during the feed, we don't always notice until we have nipple damage. So, good support with pillows, boppy etc, and just being careful not to slouch when you feed too. All the best x

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2016, 02:27:03 am »
I'm so glad you've had a better day. I've had thrush and now how painful it can be. I found the pain reduced quite a bit once I started treating it. (((hugs))) to you and the fantastic job you are doing of loving and caring for your sweet little girl.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2016, 02:58:29 am »
More healing vibes and hugs.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2016, 17:55:04 pm »
Glad things are looking up a bit. x

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2016, 18:12:05 pm »
Well done Shiv - so glad things are looking brighter today :) :-*

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2016, 18:35:07 pm »
Hope things are continuing to look up for you Shiv ((hugs)) and snuggles to baby!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.