Author Topic: Need some advice for starting a sleep routine please  (Read 755 times)

Offline mtemte

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Need some advice for starting a sleep routine please
« on: April 04, 2016, 13:09:22 pm »
My daughter is just over 16 weeks old. She was born with a cleft lip and within four weeks was also diagnosed with severe silent reflux.
By the time her lip surgery came round on March 8th at 12 weeks old, she had slipped into a nice routine with naps up to 2 hours long for her long nap in her own cot and reflux under control with medication (she didn't fall asleep unaided however - a couple of minutes rocking and she was asleep and easy to put down).
However since her surgery where she spent eight days in hospital, everything has gone by the wayside. To give some context, she had been combination fed but since her surgery now has serious bottle aversion and screams whenever she sees a bottle. She is now exclusively breastfed but is not feeding as much as she should ( nappies not very wet and feeding only a few minutes per feed but that is another story).
She is currently only napping either in buggy or on me / beside me on the boob. As soon as I move, she wakes up. Bedtime is falling asleep on the boob but could wake several times before I go up to bed. When I do, she will want to feed on and off throughout the night. Due to her feeding issues I have therefore been cosleeping in order to increase her milk in take (as she feeds quite a bit throughout the night). We are also probably going through the four month sleep regression.
So my question(s)......
I  am aware that she is in need of reassurance after the trauma of her surgery and am of course prepared to give that day and night. What could I do to try to instill good sleep habits while ensuring that reassurance?
Also, if she is hungry during the night, as she is not feeding very much at the moment, how again can I improve her sleep habits?
Any advice gratefully accepted!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Need some advice for starting a sleep routine please
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 17:08:56 pm »
Hi - sorry your post has been missed - I shall bump this for you now x

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Need some advice for starting a sleep routine please
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 17:53:40 pm »
Hi there
I don't have all the answers for you but reading your post it seemed to me that perhaps if you read the Gentle Removal Plan information you might be able to feed on demand at night but avoid (to some extent although perhaps not totally) feeding to sleep.  Here's the link for you. I'm suggesting it as it has info on how to break a feed to sleep habit whilst co-sleeping which I think might be the useful part.

Gentle Removal Plan

Whilst I'm here though I do need to say that we do not support co-sleeping as it is not a BW method.  Please make yourself fully informed of the SIDS recommendations for the safety of your baby.

It does sound like she needs lots of support during her recuperation and it looks to me like you are not yet ready for sleep training or trying to get back on track, it does sound like she needs extra night feeds and cuddles.  I know at 10 months mine was in hospital for a few days, quite poorly but no surgery, and it took weeks for him to fully recover, he started taking night feeds which he hadn't had in months to make up for the calories he'd lost during that illness so I can imagine a younger LO will certainly need extra feeds to make up any loss.

hugs for you all, it sounds very tiring and I hope you are able to find a solution for the bottle feeding aspect too eventually, perhaps when she is feeling better she will be more willing to take a bottle again.