Author Topic: 2:1 nap transition for almost 1 year old...  (Read 892 times)

Offline eogan0622

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
2:1 nap transition for almost 1 year old...
« on: April 04, 2016, 19:59:01 pm »
Hi,

SO my DD is going to be one this month ( :o) and we are definitely in the start of the 2:1 nap transition.  After having some long NW that I actually think were super EW (4 or 5am up for 1-1.5 hrs....), I've adjusted her schedule and *think* I'm on a good track.  I've done lots of trial and error over the past few months and feel good about where I am this week (I know things change so quickly).  I just decided on this plan and am trying it for the week to see how she responds.  So far, it has drastically reduced NW and they are back to being a quick feed, if at all.  So, for the past few days, our schedule is:

645/7: WU
930/945-1030/1045: S (she likes a shorter A time in the morning, and I cap this nap at 1 hour right now)
2:15-4: S
7:30: BT

I know she likes a shorter A time in the morning, so after reading the BW recommendations for 2:1 nap transition, I chose to cap the 1st nap and keep the 2nd longer.  After 2 days of this, her NW have gone back to just 1x, for a quick feed, and then back to sleep, instead of being up and wrestling with her to get back to sleep for 1+hours!  All this is good right now, but I am wondering-
1) following this schedule, should I cap her 2nd nap at 4pm?  I woke her yesterday at 4 to preserve BT, but I felt so bad waking her from both her naps.  I really don't like the idea of her going to be much later than 730, but should I just get over that and put her to bed later so she can take a longer nap? Or should I keep 730 BT and let her sleep as late as she wants but keep the BT? Just looking for opinions or to see what has worked for other mums--I feel like she does better with a slightly longer A time before bed so not sure she would be down with a 3 or less A time...

2) How have others gradually continued capping the 1st nap? IE what will be the signs that I should cap it down to 45 mins, 30 mins, etc?  Again, like others have advised, I want to hold on to 2 naps as long as possible to avoid OT! I'm glad I'm noticing a difference already, but just curious how others have progressed?

THANKS ALL!

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: 2:1 nap transition for almost 1 year old...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 22:37:59 pm »
Hi there!  It looks like you're doing a great job.  My LO is 12 months and is still on 2 naps a day but I matched his second nap up with his brother's so that everyone gets a break, maybe it would work for you as well:

WU: 6:30am
S: 9:30
WU: 10:15
S: 1:00pm
WU: 3pm
BT: 6:45pm

In regards to capping the morning nap, that's really at your discretion.  At some point you just have to make the choice to bite the bullet and drop one of the naps (likely the morning in your case).  You might get a week of wonkieness but then everything typically evens out as the LO's adjust.