Author Topic: Need advice with nap and BT for 15 month old  (Read 10910 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Need advice with nap and BT for 15 month old
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2016, 19:32:27 pm »
Thanks for stopping by clairebear :) Always welcome :)

Offline NinNic

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2016, 21:32:04 pm »
Hi and thanks a lot for popping in with advice!  :)

Nice to hear other stories too and that it will come to an end!

Last night she woke 3 times crying. I have started putting down for nap at 1:30 pm and bit earlier BT. Do you think this is ok?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2016, 22:34:52 pm »
If it works for her then it's ok :)
I know you are worried about the long day and short night, personally I think there are times we need to just accept shorter nights if LO won't do longer.  I know with mine he had to have the longer nap and shorter night.  I honestly would have loved a longer night but he just couldn't do it (until he dropped his nap :) lovely long nights ever since.

Offline NinNic

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2016, 13:46:47 pm »
Hi and thanks for your advice!  :)

How many hours did your LO sleep at night when sleeping nap for 2 hrs?

LO has bit of fever and runny nose today. Since I last wrote she is still having SA at BT, usually falls asleep on her own for nap. She is still crying in her sleep like she is having nightmares and waking from them at night almost every night sometimes few times per night. It is quite easy to get her back to sleep but she usually wakes an hour later again. I feel that she is tired and before BT she is hyper so maybe too tired already? It has been taking over 30 mins for her to fall asleep at BT with us patting her, falling asleep a bit past 8 pm or even 8:30 pm. A while before nap time I've noticed for past few days she is yawning a lot and also rubbing her eyes so have put her to bed a bit earlier and she has been falling asleep at 1:20-1:30 pm (today 1:11 pm probably because she is not well). Yesterday put her to bed a bit earlier 7:15 pm (compared to around 7:30 pm) and she fell asleep 7:46 pm.

Previously she was sleeping around 7:30-7:40 pm at BT when she was having longer nights and also earlier for nap. I do feel she is going through a developmental phase and maybe she has for some time and that is why it's more difficult for her to settle for both nap and BT. I feel like going back to bit earlier BT around 7:30 pm and nap around 1:20-1:30 pm and see what happens. What do you think? I really feel these 14 hr days and 10 hr nights are making her tired and they have been going on for some time now.

How do I tackle when we change to summer time on Sunday best? Do I just wake her earlier in morning and shift everything?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 17:31:48 pm by NinNic »

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2016, 19:13:00 pm »
Mine did 10 to 10.5hr nights and 2hr nap.  He continued like that until about 26 months.  Then 6 months of the routine being not quite right, shorter and shorter night. mostly the routine was messed up because I felt the night could not be so short and tried capping his nap (big mistake for my DS) and tried occasional no nap days (bigger mistake). At 31 months he dropped the nap cold turkey and moved all his sleep to the night, about 11 ish hours and then settled into 12hr night which he continued from then (just over 2.5yo) to 4.5yo when it dropped a little, 11.5hr on week nights, 12hr on weekends, and now at 5yo we just had another drop in sleep, more like 11hr on wk nights, still doing the 12hr on weekends.

If you feel in your gut you need to move nap and BT then go for it. You're the one with her, you're the one who knows her best. x

Offline NinNic

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2016, 19:43:20 pm »
Thanks for your quick reply!  :)

That is very useful info thanks for that!

I find it hard to know right now as she is going through SA and it might take her longer to settle because we are there with her. I just felt when she was doing around 11.25 hrs at night and 1.5 hrs for nap she seemed to be good. I guess this developmental phase is messing with her sleep. I do feel that 10 hr night is way to little sleep a night.

Do you know how long SA and developmental around this age can go on for?

Sorry to ask again, how do you deal with summertime change in clock?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2016, 21:24:58 pm »
Honestly between teeth, illness, developmental leaps, half birthday and birthday I felt like my DS's sleep was 'off track' more than 'on track' most of that year! I remember only getting 3 days of normality after the canines stopped moving before the molars started, there was just no let up.  I also remember the big language leap at 21 months which I've mentioned before, it all kind of rolls into one big thing tbh.

Sorry to ask again, how do you deal with summertime change in clock?
Many people shift 15 mins each day for 4 days to achieve the hour change so either start 4 days in advance or do 2 days in advance and 2 days after. If you need to change faster you could do 30 mins for 2 days.  Moving meals is important as they mark out the day just as much as naps and BT do.

Offline NinNic

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2016, 04:58:02 am »
Thanks for info! :)

Does it get betyer with sleep after age of 2?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2016, 23:09:52 pm »
Well, the sleep for DS was calmer after 2yo, less pain which was a big help...but he did begin a slowish transition to 1 nap so I can't say that it's plain sailing after 2yo, sorry.
Some LOs hang on to the nap until they are 3 or 4yo, some drop it at 2yo.  Whenever your LO needs to drop the nap there is bound to be a bit of a bump in sleep again.
Oh and then there is the birthday and half birthday sleep disturbance, that's pretty common too. DS's sleep goes off around both those times, so 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5 and 5yo have all bee times of some sort of sleep disturbance for us.  This doesn’t paint a pretty picture does it, but you know what I think once I knew about the birthday thing I just accepted it, I help him for a little while and then it all settles back down again.

I would say though that overall sleep really does get better.  I can remember how unbelievably hard it was with a new born, with an EWer, a refluxer, a teether...yes after 2yo is better :)

If you feel like you'd like some fresh eyes on the routine or for additional info  or tips on  SA etc please do feel free to begin a new thread. The BW community doesn't often join in a long standing thread and there may be someone out there with the perfect idea for you and your LO.  Your LO is quite a bit older now than when you began the thread so even having a new thread with a new age title could bring fresh eyes.
xx

Offline NinNic

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2016, 18:16:03 pm »
Thanks again for all advice!

I have a question regarding doing something else instead of patting to sleep. We have been doing this when LO has been going through tough periods like now to get her back to sleep. We are really tired of patting her as it usually takes over an hour at BT every night and also at NW. It's just too exhausting for body to sit there and do it so much. What other methods do you suggest?

Worried that it will take even longer to fall asleep if we start a new method as she wants to be patted most times, but we feel we have to do some change as it is so tiring!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2016, 19:13:58 pm »
I think if you're going through a tricky phase then these comforting methods such as patting are generally needed and are going to feel like work for you.  You can begin to wean it, so doing less patting, less firm, less frequent and bring it down to a hand on her or just sitting nearby may be enough with some verbal reassurance.  TBH though even at 5yo if mine is having a bad night or a tricky phase of development then even at this age he needs the extra support.  When he turned 5 he had the usual birthday developmental sleep disturbance which for him usually goes on a few weeks.  He is a very good sleeper, totally independent but through the tricky phase he needed support, I stayed with him for longer at BT, put the light off and stroked his head.  When I had seen that he was through the phase I asked if he really needed this additional wind down time any more because really it wasn't part of our usual routine and he just said he was fine now so we stopped doing it.

Do you feel this is still developmental or do you think it's time to look at routine again?

Offline NinNic

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2016, 13:10:39 pm »
Hi again and thanks for your reply.  :)

We tried with what you suggested with less patting but it does not work, she still wants us to pat. She is still crying when put to bed for BT (not nap time), which means we have to pat her. We try to talk to her and just sit next to her, it doesn't work she still wants the patting. I guess we just have to except it is a phase. I just don't want it to become a prop, do you think it can or will she just start going to sleep on her own once phase is over?

I've read that 18 month regression can start later so I think this might be the case for her. She is also still waking crying at night so have to pat her then too to get her back to sleep. She used to wake few times per night, past few nights its been once per night.

I just don't want all this patting to become a prop after all the work of getting her to be an independent sleeper. In the past she has gone back to falling asleep on her own after a phase. This phase seems to be the worst and longest so far apart from teething.

Her EASY looks like this at mo:
WU around 7 am
Nap 1:35-3:15 pm normally as she is moody and tired I thought to let her sleep a bit longer than usual 1.5 hrs
BT 8/8:30 pm put to bed around 7:30 pm, for a period she would fall asleep around 8 pm when nap to around 3 pm and 8:30 pm when nap to 3:30 pm latest when seemed very tired

Yesterday I woke her at 3:15 pm and she didn't fall asleep until 8:30 pm, she was tossing and turning constant for over 45 mins (don't know if this is part of phase or what it is.

I´m trying to get her to sleep by 8 pm so she has 11 hrs instead of 10.5 hrs as it seems she is more well rested with 11 hrs night sleep. Do you think I should wake her by 3 pm to get her to bed by 8 pm or that her natural sleep time is 8:30 pm?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2016, 18:37:10 pm »
PMed you honey :)