Author Topic: How to get 8 week old to sleep independently for naps  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Tabathagucci

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
How to get 8 week old to sleep independently for naps
« on: April 06, 2016, 03:52:37 am »
My LO will be 8 weeks old Thursday.  She sleeps every single nap (which range from 10 mins to 3 hours) on me or my husband in an infant carrier.  At night she sleeps from about 7:30-12:30 on my husband in the carrier so I can get a decent stretch of sleep.  Then I feed her and put her in a baby lounger in our bed where she sleeps elevated another 4 hours, feeds then sleeps till 6 or 7 am.  She has reflux but sleeps fine at night in this lounger but will not sleep anywhere during the day but in the carrier on us. I've tried everything to put her down and she always wakes within about 5 minutes.  I've tried rocking her, nursing her to sleep, waiting 5 minutes, waiting 30 minutes, waitting till she's dead to the world.  Nothing works. I realize I need to teach her to do this but would like suggestions on how and somewhat of a plan.  I have a 4.5 year old so I can't spend a ton of time doing this, but if I have to spend 3 days doing nothing but pat shush or whatever is recommended, I can get help to cover me to do so.  I just need help with a plan!

Thanks!

Offline claireh29

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: How to get 8 week old to sleep independently for naps
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 13:59:28 pm »
Hey,

I could have written your post. My lo is 5 weeks and suffers slightly with reflux and bad wind/has at night. My husband does exactly what yours does and we have 3.5yr.

We finally have had enough of rocking/walking and her sleeping on us at night. During the day she sleeps in the sling because like you I can't spend time at the moment getting her to fall asleep by herself. So I'm saving the delight of nap training for another day.

At night we have his stated a little routine, she is it little so the routine is more for us/big bro at the moment. We are only on day 2 of this but Once she is washed, changed it off upstairs for her last feed and then we 'ssh pat'. The first night it took one hour and she slept for 4hrs but after that she got upset and uncomfortable so ended up in the bed with me till morning. Last night she fought it big time, after 2 hrs and only sleepy eyes we gave up and she was in bed with me.

We are going to keep at it because eventually she will get it and it beats walking for 45min for her only to wake up when I put her down.

Good luck.

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 03:49:31 am »
Well the nanny was able to get her to sleep in her lounger in the crib today and she slept for 25 mins.  A start!  But nanny tried again and it didn't work, so I nursed her and tried and she screamed on and off for 20 minutes while I was trying to comfort her so I finall gave up and put her in the carrier and she was out instantly but only for 10 minutes, which is what she does when she's extremely overtired.  Will try again tomorrow when she's not overtired!

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 13:12:39 pm »
Anyone have any advice?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 14:10:48 pm »
No advice really but my DS2 is 9 weeks and not a bit of independent sleep here right now. They are very young so don't beat yourself up if it doesn't work just yet. I personally just go for walks, time naps when I need to go to shops or park with older DS or use the sling.
Zoe

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 14:12:08 pm »
Yep, no independent sleep here either and baby is 21 weeks! It will come, in time.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 23:57:31 pm »
I was able to get my son to sleep independently at eight weeks so I know it can be done. not only that but I have a nanny two days a week and she's been able to do it both times. However when I've tried it success. Any tips from moderators would be greatly appreciated!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 07:40:39 am »
Hi there
My DS was also independently sleeping at 8 wks so I do agree it is possible. However this was from putting him down for every nap that we could from day 1, ok I couldn't put him down for every nap but I tried pretty much every nap and I didn't have another LO around so I had nothing but my DS to focus on and could spend all the time it took to help him settle and reassure him.  I also started using the BW EASY routine from 4 wks.
I would think it is going to take longer for you when you take into account how much AP there has been for the 8 weeks and that you have another child to care for.  What I mean is, just because your LO is 8wks old doesn't mean she is now ready for independent sleep, it is a long process of gentle teaching in my experience.

If you are ready for a focused phase of trying to sleep train I would suggest reading up on the shush/pat method whilst you observe and record LOs EAS times for 2 days and from there gently move towards a suitable routine and begin the shush/pat method for sleep training. Just remember it is a a gradual process at this early age, you pick up and settle in arms until completely calm (initially asleep, then drowsy) before putting down as you do not want her losing calories through crying.
I never fed to sleep and never co-slept, I am always cautious to even guess how things are going to progress when these props are in place because LO is very used to them and parents might revert back to using these props when they are very tired which will confuse baby and delay the progress of learning to self settle.

Any tips from moderators would be greatly appreciated!
By the way you already had replies from a mod and past-mod.  Mods here are all volunteers and parents just like you, we are not sleep experts, the only aspect of possibly having additional ideas is from reading and supporting lots of threads and so learning from the whole community. :)

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 08:01:40 am »
I agree it's possible my DS1 was an independent sleeper and had a proper bedtime by 7 weeks but DS2 is just a different baby.

I had more time with DS1 to concentrate on awake times, watching for sleepy signs and spending time on sleep. I guess I was just saying that don't worry it might just take longer this time round  ;)
Zoe

Offline FPT23

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 22:26:46 pm »
Hi!

I would love to offer some additional support as well! I'm not a moderator but bless their souls- they've been such amazing help and support since my first and now w/ my second! :) ...they sure do have the answers don't they!! Thanks mods ;)

My baby is 7 weeks (8 on Monday!) and he does not I.S. just yet. However, things are a tad different with toddler around. It's hard to focus on everyyyyyy single naaaaap (they need a nap every hour. oh my!) when I have my toddler around!!! Especially as wind down takes a bit only to get short naps out of it ;) ...but I did follow BW as much as I could from the start. By that I mean, somewhat paving the way for better easier sleep later. Short simple nap routines, bedtime routines, and follow the EAS pattern.

I am sending positive vibes to you and your family! So great you have the support for the oldest one! If you can focus on it- go for it! I wish I could ;) I would love to just set down and walk away each time! It's hard.. I know I'm going through it myself! Keep us posted on how it worked! I would love to start doing the "drowsy but awake" but it intimidates me and I don't want him MORE OT than what he probably already is! Keep us posted!

HUGSSSS <3
Fabi

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 23:22:42 pm »
By the way you already had replies from a mod and past-mod.  Mods here are all volunteers and parents just like you, we are not sleep experts, the only aspect of possibly having additional ideas is from reading and supporting lots of threads and so learning from the whole community.

Thank you!  I didn't realize that and while I appreciate everyone's support and comments I was hoping for at least a gradual starting point (which you provided).  Thank you so much! I've used this forum for years, starting with my DS and have always used the EASY method. I do EASY with DD also, but use AP for all sleep at this point.  I do nurse to sleep in the middle of the night but never during the day and never at bed time so hopefully that's a start?  I'm ok with it taking longer for sure because we have been AP, but hoping I can start with one nap a day in the crib at least? 

And one question... If I start by putting down asleep and she wakes up within 5 minutes each time I put her down, i just pat shush back to sleep if possible and once she's awake try again for next nap (provided I can with my other little one around)? At some point do I just hold her for a nap so she can get some good sleep?

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 23:24:44 pm »
My apologies also if I seemed unappreciative of other people's support.  I'm exhausted and have very little time to write posts because of my situation.  It is good to know I'm not the only one going through this! 😊

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 07:50:22 am »
I can only imagine how exhausting it is with a toddler and a new born. I have my hands full with just one 5yo!

Yes of course it's a great help in the process if you have not been feeding to sleep in the day, that's a big step you don't have to break :)
And yes you certainly can start with one nap per day in the crib, that's what many of the members do when they have their hands full will another LO around.

And one question... If I start by putting down asleep and she wakes up within 5 minutes each time I put her down, i just pat shush back to sleep if possible and once she's awake try again for next nap (provided I can with my other little one around)? At some point do I just hold her for a nap so she can get some good sleep?
The starting point with shush/pat is to totally calm baby in arms and to let her fall to sleep in arms whilst shush/patting, then to transfer to the crib and to continue to shush/pat for an additional 20 mins until you feel/see her relax into a deep sleep.  Tracy describes in her books how many people get LO asleep in arms, try to put them down and baby wakes 5 or 10 mins later, this is because they are still in light sleep and need shush/patting to deep sleep.  The idea of shush/patting for the additional 20 mins is to avoid this happening.
You can also begin shush/patting at 30 mins into the nap to help baby transition from one sleep cycle into the next, and this too would be a 20 min shush/pat. It's called W2S (wake 2 sleep, there is a FAQ if you wanted to read it) and can be very helpful in getting a longer sleep to avoid OT because baby is more inclined to stay asleep when you are there shush/patting rather than fully wake. It's generally hard to get them back to sleep when they fully wake.
However that means WD of up to 20 mins, then 20 mins shush/pat in crib, a 10 min break before LO begins to come into lighter sleep and can be shush/patted for another 20 mins for W2S.  When you look at it like this there is an hour of shush/pat for a 10 min break, that isn't much time for You or for your other child, however it would likely get things heading in the right direction more quickly.

You might be able to put her down for naps in a crib in the family room so you can be with your older child.  I think many find the baby is too interested in the older child to fall to sleep in the same room but it really depends on everyone's characters. For instance at 4.5 I know I could have asked mine (and made a habit of it) to read quietly for 20-30 mins, or I could have asked him to watch TV on quietly for 30 mins.  I also know at the very young stage mine fell to sleep well in the family room (travel cot) even with other people around and some quiet chatter or TV on.  Although at 10 wks mine suddenly decided he would no longer nap in the family room and I had to take him to his night bed for naps, I never expected such a young baby to have an opinion (shows what I know!).

One other thing I'll mention is that when you have 2 LOs it might be preferable to sleep train into a stroller, although it's considered AP many people find it invaluable to be able to have baby nap in the stroller so they can get out and about with the older child to go to the park or school drop off and pick up.  My own LO, as I said was sleeping independently by about 8 wks, would only nap in his night bed by 10 wks so I had a difficult time trying to get out the house and hurrying home for the next nap. I even had a thread asking if it was possible to re-sleep train him into the stroller.  As it turned out I did not re-sleep train but he started napping in the car seat so I timed all outings for him to CN in the car on the way.  It's just something to keep in mind when you begin ST for the second baby.

hope this helps...and soon you will be the 'expert' on how to sleep train an 8 wk old when there is an older child to care for  :)