Author Topic: 4 Month Sleep Regression  (Read 957 times)

Offline JRivera00

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 07, 2016, 13:29:26 pm »
My 4 month old son used to sleep from 7:15 pm until at least 3:30, but for the l last few night he has been waking up every hour after 12:30.   I feed him at 12:30 just to make sure he is not hungry, but do know what to do after that.

His next wake time was at 3:30 and we let him cry and 20 minutes later he went to sleep by himself.  An hour later 4:40 we gave him the pacifier and slept until 6:40 (he usually sleeps until 6am)

Is giving him the pacifier a good idea?  should we just let him cry again?  If so, for how long do you recommend? 

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: 4 Month Sleep Regression
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 14:10:48 pm »
Hi hun and welcome to BW.  We have a very supportive community here however we do not support the cry it out method as we believe that it breaks the bonds of trust between parent and child.  We would be more than happy to help you through this regression using gentle methods. 

Can you post your day in EAS format so we can take a look and see what might be going on?  There is nothing wrong with using a paci at night to help soothe your LO back to sleep.

Offline JRivera00

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 03:54:49 am »
Thank you so much for your prompt response! 

For the last week his day naps have been very different than usual.  I will write you more or less what I  tropical day looks like.

4:45 - 6:15  Wake, Feed, Dipers,   (he woke up after 6 am for the first three months)

7:30 - Nap  (he only naps for 30 - 40 mins in crib )

8- wake

9- Second Nap  (its impossible to put down and wants to sleep only in arms- in crib 30 mins in arms 1 hour)

10- Feed and then Active

11:15-  Out in strollers for him to sleep and to get fresh air  (used to able to sleep the entire time now only sleeps 2x 30 mins)

2: Feed, Active

3:15  Third Nap  (only in arms for 30- 40 mins mins)

4:15 Active Time

4:30 Next feed (extra feed)

6:40 Feed and get ready for bed (bath, message, story)

7:15  In bed- he has been going to bed by himself since he was 2 weeks old.

I feed him once and now he is waking up every two, three hours. I used the pacifier , but I feel like a bad parents for giving him a prop for him to go back to himself.    He never uses pacifier to go to bed and he does need it for the day naps. I always take it aways when he is asleep.  Please help!  He woke up today at 4:40 am and just stayed in bed with the pacifier.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 20:29:34 pm »
I think once you sort your days out the nights will follow.  Right now your A times - so that's awake/active time - are really low and then your last A time is really long.  A 1hr/1.15hr A time is more appropriate for a 2 month old.  You need to start stretching the awake time to 2hrs or even more.  Once the A times are more age appropriate the naps should lengthen and you will have a more predictable routine. 

So if WU is 6am:

E 6am
A
S 8-9:30

E 9:30
A
S 11:30 - 1

E 1
A
S 3-4:30

E 4:30
A
S 6:30 (this would be BT so you would likely do a top up feed before bed)

Also know that at 4 months there is a pretty big growth spurt so multiple night wakings could be hunger related, so if there are hunger signs go ahead and feed even if previously you were only doing 1 NF.

Offline JRivera00

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 06:34:11 am »
Thank you so much for your feedback! 

I will start applying this right away.  Any tips on what I should do when he only takes a 30 mins nap?  I have noticed that this is the reason why I can get him to have a longer A time, bc he is already so tired from not sleeping enough.  Also, would you recommend using a pacifier at this age? 

I really appreciate your time and suggestions.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 13:42:15 pm »
If my DD takes a 30 min nap I spend about 10-15mins trying to resettle her, if that doesn't work then I get her up and reduce the next A time slightly (10-15mins) to try to avoid OT.

Both my LOs use a pacifier, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.  It only becomes an issue if they can't sleep once it falls out and/or don't learn to put it back in themselves once they become of age to maneuver it back in.