Author Topic: Tweak, tweak......can you help me with my 10 month old please??  (Read 6717 times)

Offline 4isstillnighttime

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
Re: Tweak, tweak......can you help me with my 10 month old please??
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 06:38:01 am »
I am back at work next week so can't feed in the day. He probably would drink more formula except that he is so tired and cross now he isn't eating or drinking much of anything - it's a bit of a vicious circle. I can't remember exactly how things worked out Sunday night but they were bad  ;D and I ended up BFing at 4:30, and he eventually went back to sleep til 6.

Yesterday he did:

WU 6
Milk feed
Breakfast
Nap 9:15 - 10:00
Snack
Lunch
Nap 1:15 - 2:45
Milk feed
Snack
Supper about 5
Milk
BT 6:45

He woke up at 10 with a dirty nappy so when I changed him I gave him another bottle of formula then. He then woke up at 3, 4 and then up for the day at 5:30.

My thoughts are.....should I give him a formula DF? I've never made it work with BFing but formula is easier and quicker.
should I try and get another bottle of milk in during the day? He has a BF on WU and BT, and formula after his nap, but he could have another bottle after his morning nap.

Should I still be trying to get him to 9:30 for that first nap? Given that he doesn't normally have a long nap then whatever Time it is should I just let him go to sleep earlier then?

And I will def try and get him in bed early......easier said than done though  ;D

Thanks again for the help!!

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 13:11:24 pm »
Ok sorry I hadn't spotted the post nap bottle before - well, some LOs at 10mo are having three milk feeds, others four, and given that he still seems to want/take one in the night, I'd say it might be easier to plan one somewhere - whether you do that as a DF or after his morning nap is really up to you, I'd probably be inclined to go for the DF, since he didn't feed again last night after his 10pm bottle. Unless of course he was ravenous at 5:30am?

If Sunday night was bad then I'd definitely say aim for EBT rather than an extra CN, although I realise that one wasn't planned ;)

With the first nap, I'd still be inclined to try to push, I just felt that keeping our first nap at the same time helped to stop WUs getting ridiculously early, even if we still had EWs.

Just wondering how he was after his pm nap yesterday? I feel like it might have been good to have had a longer one in order to push the day out a bit without getting OT. But a 1.5h nap could be UT or OT, hard to tell without seeing what he was like afterwards. Did you try to resettle or give him the chance to resettle, or was he just really awake and ready to play?

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 16:42:04 pm »
He was def OT. But.....in new developments I think he is teething  :o as he has had proper teething poos today. I will dose him up at bedtime but try nurofen this time. Or maybe I will give it at the DF so it lasts!

Today....WU 5:30
Nap 9:45 - 10:45
Nap 2:00 - 3:20 ish

And he has had 2 bottle of formula and a morning BF and I will give a FF at my BT.

Tweak tweak!!!

Offline trimbler

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 19:17:15 pm »
Aw teething is such a pain :-\ Will he resettle at all after an OT nap? Or do you think it would work better for him if you pulled that second nap a little earlier, in the hope that he takes a longer nap due to not being OT? That would be a scarier option for me :P

Hope this bout of teething isn't too awful for you all, does he already have some?

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 19:38:23 pm »
He has 2.....they were a drama too!!! We have had a shocking nap day - he had another dreadful night, up at 5, slept 8:30 until we had to go out at 9:30...then 12:45 - 1:45 and wouldn't resettle!! Tried to AP a CN at 5 but no luck. In bed at 6:30 and I am going down too to try and maximise my sleep. This is rubbish, I am shattered!! And it makes me feel really anxious and panicky and blame myself that it is because I am doing something wrong!

Depending on his wake up in the morning I will try:
Nap 1 at 9:30 (I think I have to fix that one)
Second A time of 3:15
3rd A time of 3:30 ish.

And as much food and drink as he can squeeze in!

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 19:39:28 pm »
Sorry, posted too soon. Thanks again for all the help. It is a lonely, unhappy business sometimes.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 19:54:41 pm »
Oh (((hugs))) you sound just like I feel when I'm utterly sleep deprived, it's horrible, isn't it? You're not doing anything wrong, he's just teething and it's rotten :-* You are giving pain meds, right? Can you still APOP a nap at all?

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 20:42:36 pm »
Sometimes I can but it depends on the twins a bit!!! I'll try at least his first one.

Grim!

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2016, 01:58:38 am »
And it makes me feel really anxious and panicky and blame myself that it is because I am doing something wrong!
I got this feeling a lot too. Especially with the 5 am WUs. I think it's just a low time for me and everything feels worse at that hour. Remind yourself it's just the sleep deprivation talking and that these sorts of bumps are perfectly normal.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2016, 03:23:37 am »
 :'( I hope you are right. Am sat here in tears breastfeeding. Was up with him between 11:30 and 1. He just won't sleep. At this stage I would cosleep, feed to sleep, anything! He hasn't slept properly for nearly a week.

The worst was that I really thought I was through the worst. I was so excited about having a bit of energy and enthusiasm for life again. Like the old me. Enjoying doing things with the twins, going to the gym. Now I just feel sick and tired and miserable, barely enough energy to turn the tv on in the morning and plonk them all in front of it.

I feel like this will never end.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2016, 08:47:50 am »
(((hugs))) me dear.  This too shall pass. Do something nice for yourself.  It will end, of course, one day he'll be 25 and bringing you out for dinner :)

I think you're right to do anything at this point, but if he can't sleep, he can't, for whatever reason. For teeth, you need ibuprofen not paracetamol (I'm sure you know that) because the ibuprofen deals with the painful swelling.  We used teetha granules a lot, the camomilla in their system helped them to relax, and, yes I'm a terrible hippie, they both had amber teething necklaces and they really helped them. And, as I always say, the lavender oil!  If you're not using teetha or similar, I'd introduce it, it could help and it won't do any harm.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2016, 09:03:57 am »
Oh thank you!! I tried those powders with the twins but they didn't work at all, but I could try again with this one. I didn't know that about ibuprofen  :o but he has been having it anyway because we are out of calpol!!

I have taken your advice and am sitting drinking a coffee and ignoring the Washing that needs hanging, the bin that needs emptying, the dishwasher that needs emptying......might take the kids out for lunch to save having to cook anything  ;D and the baby will need to take me out for every meal for about 5 years to make up for this!!!!

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2016, 09:09:58 am »
I have taken your advice and am sitting drinking a coffee and ignoring the Washing that needs hanging, the bin that needs emptying, the dishwasher that needs emptying.
Good woman!

.might take the kids out for lunch to save having to cook anything
Excellent idea :)

the baby will need to take me out for every meal for about 5 years to make up for this!!!!
Maybe you need a ledger or something?
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline trimbler

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2016, 19:51:34 pm »
Oh (((hugs))) yes this will pass, but I know it feels like forever when you're in the midst of it, doesn't it? :-* Just remember, you got through it with the twins (and I still can't imagine how anyone does that ;D ) so you know you can get through it this time too :-*

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2016, 02:10:17 am »
yes I'm a terrible hippie, they both had amber teething necklaces and they really helped them.
Then I'm a terrible hippie too. I really found that amber or hazelwood necklaces helped both of my LOs.

Huge hugs for you. It's so tough to be sleep deprived. Just keep reminding yourself that you are doing the best that you can.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014