Author Topic: Lengthening 30 minute naps  (Read 3061 times)

Offline johnandmere

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 20:34:13 pm »
I may have spoken too soon.  Hubby went in to get him, and he had a dirty diaper (baby, not hubby:-)).  Changed him and then he slept with me in the rocking chair for another 45 minutes.

I think I will try the 2 hours 30 minutes A time again tomorrow!

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2016, 13:03:03 pm »
Changed him and then he slept with me in the rocking chair for another 45 minutes.
Ah great!

You're doing so well, just remember that trial and error is normal, try to observe results and tweak as needed, don't get discouraged and don't panic (if you can at all).  He can do this sleep thing with a bit of help from you. :)
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline johnandmere

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2016, 20:10:37 pm »
The morning naps are still going really well, and I am so happy.  The second nap is stuck at about 35-45 mins.  I've been doing 2 hours and 30 mins A time before the second nap.  The first A time is 2 hours and 50 mins.  Should I dabble with lengthening the second A time?

Thanks!!

Mere

Offline johnandmere

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2016, 23:32:07 pm »
He has given me a 1 hour and 20 minute nap after a 3 hour awake time twice.  The first time was the very first day when I extended his 1st and 2nd awake time to 2 hours and 50 minutes.  He lengthened both naps that day.  Then the next day, I tried everything the same, and his second nap was 30 minutes.  After that, I've been trying 2 hours and 30 minutes for his second awake time for 3 days with inconsistent results of 35 minutes to 45 minutes.  Then yesterday we had a weird day.  His awake time was 2 hours and 50 minutes, but his morning nap was only 40 minutes for some reason (actually it was a poopy diaper, I remember now, but he would not resettle after).  He was up for another 3 hour awake time after that and slept for 1 hour 15 minutes.  Today I went back to the 2 hours and 30 minutes for his second awake time.  He seemed so tired, but only slept for 35 minutes again.

The first awake time seems to really have helped him lengthen out his morning nap.  I'm sticking with 2 hours and 50 minutes for that.

I am having trouble finding a pattern or knowing what time frame I should try for him for the second awake time.

Any troubleshooting would be so helpful.  Hubby thinks we should try close to 3 hours again, but I of course I don't want to overtire him!!!

Thanks,
Mere

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2016, 14:39:49 pm »
Give it a nudge to 2hr 40 maybe? Seems like he'd like more. You're all doing a great job!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline johnandmere

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2016, 23:00:08 pm »
Any tips for when they wake up with a dirty diaper?!  So annoying :-(  I could not get him back to sleep today.  Will try again tomorrow!

Offline johnandmere

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 21:54:03 pm »
One more thing I'm wondering about is the last catnap.  Since he is still taking such a short afternoon nap, he is up by 2:00, but bed isn't until 7ish.  So we still have the catnap.  Once he lengthens out that nap, can we drop the catnap?  Maybe that transition will come once we get the second nap longer?