Author Topic: Fitting in 2 naps with 4-hr A for 10 month old  (Read 1137 times)

Offline lauren29

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Fitting in 2 naps with 4-hr A for 10 month old
« on: April 13, 2016, 01:47:33 am »
My nearly 10 month old son has been edging up to 4 hour activity time lately. I've capped AM nap at 1 hour to try to get that 2nd nap in soon enough, but then I also have to cap PM nap so he wakes up early enough to have adequate A time before bed.

I know it's crazy to consider the 2-1 transition, and I don't want to, but I'm having trouble giving him a reasonable bed time! At the same time, I love that he's capable of longer stretches because we can do more, play more, etc.

Thanks for your advice!

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: Fitting in 2 naps with 4-hr A for 10 month old
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 03:03:09 am »
Hey there!  You might find the link below helpful, it's sample routines for babies of the same age.  It can be a struggle fitting in the correct amount of A time, while also ensuring baby gets a decent amount of sleep.  I think it was around this time that I moved DS2 to 9:30am nap and a 1pm nap, and he's been there ever since.  Likely in the next month or so I'll start decreasing the morning nap until it no longer exists but I'm not rushing it.
 chronological EASY samples, 10-12 months

Offline lauren29

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 16:13:27 pm »
That link about "has your 10 month old's sleep gone wonky" is super helpful. I will try shortening the midday wake time as well as capping the nap and see if that helps.

Of course this is also on top of new skills (crawling, learning to sit back down from standing) and possible teething (teeth 3 & 4). So who knows!!!

Thanks!

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 03:22:31 am »
Great!!  I'm glad it was helpful. Developing new skills and new teeth always mess everything up but hopefully you'll be able to get your LO back on a better sleep schedule asap.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 08:20:42 am »
I don't want to confuse you if you feel like you've found your way forwards with this but just as a different thought...
I saw on your other thread your LO can do a super long first nap if allowed to, it may  be possible to allow this (not cap but let him do 2hrs+ if he will) then follow with a reasonable A time and a short CN (CN might be 40 mins but then over time might be capped to 30, 20, 10).  Having 1 long (restorative) nap and one short nap can help with the journey towards 2-1 and eventually that first nap moves later (due to A time needing another extension) and the CN is dropped.  It may happen sooner than you think, some LOs around here drop to 1 nap at around 11-12 months and some much later.