Author Topic: Weaning 10 mo - formula or cow's milk?  (Read 1642 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Weaning 10 mo - formula or cow's milk?
« on: April 15, 2016, 16:57:18 pm »
Hi there,

I am not sure exactly where to put my question. My 10.5 months old is still BF and gets a bottle supplement if needed / when she's at daycare. She current has the following feeds:

4AM BF
9:30 bottle of EBM at daycare
3:00 BF or bottle
6:30 BF

I want to stop pumping and therefore replace the 9:30 and 3:00 feeds. Since she's not yet 1 year old I am wondering if it would be ok to give her cow's milk? It seems like the easier solution honestly I don't see a point in introducing formula just to wean it in 1.5 months?

I offer upon wake up at 7:30 but she usually either refuses or takes very little.

She's eating a good variety of solids, mostly very lumpy purees, all meats, lots of veggies, fruits, etc.
Elise

Offline PaulsMom

• Showing Appreciation 41
Re: Weaning 10 mo - formula or cow's milk?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 17:39:02 pm »
Has she had any formula before? Is she currently eating dairy?    I know the official rule is breast milk or formula until 12 months.  I broke that rule when I went back to work when dd was around 10.5 months.  We found that formula was terribly constipating for her so it didn't seem worthwhile to trial different formulas for sake of 6weeks.   I also was not expressing well with a pump so EBM wasn't possible.   So I breast fed 3 times per day (morning, before dinner and bt) and she got milk during the day when I was at work.  At that point in time she was also eating a variety of foods. 

Offline ENMS

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 19:37:49 pm »
She's never had any formula. She was MPI as a young baby but now I can eat dairy without her having problems. I haven't tried straight cow's milk for her yet, but she's been ok with moderate quantities of cheese and yogurt.

I am expressing currently but finding it really difficult to express enough for her and we're in the middle of big renovations at home, so this is making it even harder.

I also would like her to STTN eventually - not sure if formula can be more filling that cow's milk or not?

I am currently on domperidone 3 x a day. If I stop BF during the day and only keep AM, BT and NF, does anyone know what I should do with my domperidone? stop some of the doses but keep some? I wouldn't want for my production to completely stop.
Elise

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 22:19:58 pm »
I'd consult your doctor about what to do about the meds.

Cow's milk is just a drink as it doesn't offer the right balance of nutrients to be breastmilk substitute so I would definitely switch to formula until 12mo. Then you can replace those feeds with a solid snack rather than bottles of cows milk. You could also offer a sippy of cows milk with the solid snack if you want to. Here we are advised not to offer cows milk in a bottle as ideally bottles will be weaned by 12mo and cow's milk will just be offered in small quantities as a drink alongside a varied solids diet.

If you really didn't want to go the formula route, seeing as you are still BFing a few times a day you might consider switching to a solid snack and drink now?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline PaulsMom

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 22:42:26 pm »
I was on domperidone with my DS.  Talk to your dr about dose but from my experience when I stopped suddenly my supply completely dropped.  I had to wean myself very slowly (eg. 10 mg at a time.  I think I was taking 30 mg 3 times per day).  So weaning off took around 3 weeks.  When I finally weaned off the domperidone, DS was around 6 months and was feeding a lot more so I got enough stimulation to keep my supply up until he was 13 mo. 

In hind sight I suppose I really just switched one bf feed to a solid snack plus milk as a drink.   We put the milk in a sippy since dd rejected bottles. 

Offline ENMS

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 14:18:24 pm »
Cow's milk is just a drink as it doesn't offer the right balance of nutrients to be breastmilk substitute so I would definitely switch to formula until 12mo.

I understand that but I thought that maybe since it was just 1 or 2 feeds it wouldn't matter as much?

For now I have started to replace the breast milk with cow's milk in her cereals. It will be that much more I can use in her bottles.

If you really didn't want to go the formula route, seeing as you are still BFing a few times a day you might consider switching to a solid snack and drink now?

this is a great idea. I could offer a solid snack with cow's milk in a sippy mid-morning and only have a bottle of EBM in the afternoon.
Elise

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 15:57:43 pm »
hi elise, def wean the domperidone. thats the advice from Dr. Jack Newman. wean every 5 days one tablet. http://www.jgh.ca/documents/81/Domperidone%20weaning-handout%202011.pdf
otherwise whole fat milk in a sippy is good I think. we will be doing the same...  ;)
Franziska