Author Topic: Nap advice - timings, dummy and shush/pat  (Read 11533 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Nap advice - timings, dummy and shush/pat
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2016, 18:52:49 pm »
Yes I agree with Bella, the light in summer really does impact.  Mine had a totally blacked out room but his body some how knew when the seasons changed too.

I'm sorry to say that I had 5am/5.30am WUs with mine for the best part of 2 years.  Personally speaking, just about my own situation, if I knew then what I know now and if I'd had the confidence back then I would have pushed all his naps and BT much later because I worked out mine couldn't do a longer night than 10.5/11hrs so a 7pm BT was just never going to be realistic if I wanted a later WU.
Perhaps you'd like to post your EAS times how they are now and when your baby groups are and perhaps we can work out a possible routine for you?

Offline Sunnyday01

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2016, 06:49:54 am »
Hi

Thanks for your response, sorry about my melt down then other day, some days it just gets you down doesn't it. It may be the light but since he was born he has slept in quite a light room so I thought he would be used to it!

I think like your children, my little boy can only do about 10-11 hours max in bed, for example he went to sleep at 7.50 last night (late as he had a late cat nap and woke up at 5.50pm), woke up at 5.40 this morning (as well as a coup,e of other times in the night) and resettled until 6.40. I've been tracking the amount of sleep he gets and it's about 14 hours each day made up of 3hrs naps and 11hrs night sleep.

I'm happy for him to wake 6.15 onwards as my husband goes to work about 6.30 and likes t see him before he goes to work. Happy to push his bedtime too if needed, we generally start his bath at 6.30pm with a plan of him being in bed at 7-7.15 but the last few days he hasn't gone to sleep straight away and has laid in his fit a while. He's on a 4 he EASY and I think it's likely solids are going to be introduced soon.

Our morning groups are on weds, thurs and fri and are between 10.00 and 11.30 including travel - generally walk, but friday group we go in the car.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2016, 12:13:17 pm »
What A times are you doing now?  Could you post yesterdays EAS times for instance so we can have a look at the times and nap lengths etc?

Offline Sunnyday01

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2016, 13:49:40 pm »
Yesterday we were totally off routine as we were here there and everywhere, today  so far is

WU - 6.40
E - 7.00
S - 9.50-10 40 ( in buggy as walked down to baby group as was asleep when first got there)
E - 11.00
S - 11.55-12.20 - looked tired and fell asleep on way home, woke up shortly after but was happy and smiley when tried to settle in cot so decided to kep him up
S - 2.00-2.45 - took a long time to settle think he was overtired but waited until he showed signs of being tired but then woke happy

Offline Sunnyday01

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2016, 05:53:52 am »
Rest of yesterday was

E 3.00
S - 5.15-5.40  again I think overtired as long time to settle
Bottke bath and fast asleep by 7

Woke at 4.15 in night and didn't want milk so resettled with dummy, woke again at 5, 5.40 and 6.15. It seems after that 4.15 NW he struggles to transition between sleep cycles and needs the dummy replugging

Offline Bella89

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2016, 18:14:44 pm »
That first nap, 9:50, if was at home, do you think she would fall asleep as easy at home? Did you wake her, because you got there?
I'm thinking maybe she likes A time being a little longer, since 2h 50min gave her a good nap.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2016, 18:15:29 pm »
sorry, I keep looking backwards and forwards trying to work out what times you are on now - is it a 3hr First A time you're aiming for now?

Offline Sunnyday01

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2016, 18:20:49 pm »
Hi yes, I've been aiming for 3hrs but still not showing tiredness so tried pushing it a bit more.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2016, 07:59:53 am »
I think then that what you did the other day (9th) is probably the best way forward, to give the 3hr (+) A time at home and nap LO in the buggy on the way to baby group. I'd let him sleep as long as he wanted at baby group - I know the temptation is to get him up and involved in the group but perhaps see it as a little Y time for you to have a little social time with other mums whilst he sleeps?
It looks like the rest of your A times that day were perhaps too short, if he can cope with 3hr+ first A time I would go for at least 2hr for the next A time or if he falls asleep in the buggy again then the A time following that to be longer.

Baby groups were vital to me, I do think they are worth continuing.  From about 5.5 months mine had a long morning nap and we went to baby groups etc after the first nap with car naps there and back.

Offline Sunnyday01

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2016, 19:07:55 pm »
Thanks for that, I think doing what you suggested is the best plan at present especially on days we have groups. When he fell asleep in buggy on way to baby group I did leave him to sleep and he woke up after 45 minutes.

We are still get 5.00  WU and magi ing to resettle but it's every 30 minutes or so, I'm hoping it's just sonething we've got to work through!

Offline Sunnyday01

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #100 on: June 12, 2016, 09:32:35 am »
Maybe things are changing - put him down after 21/2 hrs this morning as looked tired - resettled at 45 mins and had 1 hr 30 min nap so far!!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2016, 08:13:50 am »
How are things going now?

Offline Sunnyday01

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2016, 13:55:26 pm »
Hi
Things are not too bad, we are generally in a routine of 45 mins in mirning, 1hr 30 at lunch and another 45 late afternoon, it seems to work for us and him which is good. Some days it is really hard to get him back after 45 minutes at lunch, iften taking 40 minutes of so to get him back to sleep. I a, conscious yo keep an eye on A times as we approach 6 months, we are currently in about 2.5-2.75 A time and getting good sleeps.

NW still happening. He us not taking a feed now - he doesn't seem to want it so offering dummy to resettle furst but he is waking up more - when having a night feed it was 3.30 then 5 for resettling until 6.15ish, th last 2 nights it's been 2, 4 and then resettling at 5 until 6.15.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2016, 09:18:47 am »
Hi, you could maybe try increasing the second A time before that long lunch nap and see if the transition is easier or at least easier to resettle so it is a good restful sleep.
Not sure about the NW, it's normal for a LO to still have a night feed but you say he isn't hungry.

Offline Sunnyday01

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2016, 06:14:34 am »
I hadn't thought of trying to extend that second a time so will definitely try that.

We were totally iff routine yesterday as we were out with friends but his last nap ended about 3 hours before bedtime - he went from 7pm-5am with no wake ups (apart from DF) abd then resettled within 20 mins at 5am until 6.30. Wondering if he needs a longer a time before bed as sine tunes he only gets 2 hours at most. If this is the case we approaching 2 naps I think but not quite sure how it will fit in our days do will have to have a think.