Author Topic: How to teach 15mo to walk holding my hand?  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
How to teach 15mo to walk holding my hand?
« on: April 17, 2016, 11:15:40 am »
As the subject says...

He is so active lately, walks and runs. He has to do everything on his own. Refuses to hold my hand even if I want to walk with him. I know the distance has to be still short, but he is stubborn little thing;]

We had a little accident yesterday with DS's nose covered with scratches and bruises from concrete:/ He was chaising a cat and well... the cat was faster :) He looks terrible poor guy. He is telling everyone "Bum" ever since :p

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: How to teach 15mo to walk holding my hand?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 14:41:08 pm »
That is really a work in progress...DD3 is still stubborn about it and she is twice that age. With my older two they were given the option - hold my hand or you go in the stroller or get carried. Unfortunately DD3 loves being carried so that doesn't have the desired effect lol.

I would make sure to take him places it is safe to run (park etc) to get that out of his system and then when you need him to walk holding your hand just keep enforcing the rules and build on it.
Heidi

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 20:21:09 pm »
I do the same - walk holding hand or in the buggy. Tbh we've only recently started letting her walk on the pavement, but that has more to do with always rushing to get somewhere. I always carry her over roads (unless she's already in the buggy, of course!) and make a point of showing her the curb and telling her that I'm going to carry her to keep her safe, watch for cars etc. I also make sure to warn her beforehand if she won't have the option to walk (as we have to go quickly), she seems to be getting that now. When she does try to run off, I remind her it's hand or buggy, she does get it, but sometimes she just forgets. We always bring the buggy, even if we don't end up using it ;)

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 10:45:39 am »
hold my hand or you go in the stroller or get carried. Unfortunately DD3 loves being carried so that doesn't have the desired effect lol.
I do this too and DD2 also loves being carried (and is pretty heavy now!) so I try to make sure I have the buggy with us still so being carried isn't an option.  It's hold my hand or go in the buggy.  On quieter roads now she also has the option of holding the buggy, which she likes sometimes.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 10:56:06 am »
I had a set of reins for DS, so he was safe to walk on his own. If he tripped I could hold him up by the reins so he didn't fall.

Please don't let your LO chase cats - it's cruel  :( Children need to be taught to be kind to animals!

Offline Bella89

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 14:38:47 pm »
Thanks for advice :) That's what I will do, give options.

Oh no, he chases cats in a good way, like to pet them. Unfortunately, our cat figured it out and doesn't run away anymore so I think DS figured there is no point anymore :p I guess it was about the chase not the cat :) I really think there was no harm in it.