Author Topic: long stretch of sleep gone?  (Read 1644 times)

Offline ireneasheard

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« on: May 27, 2016, 22:53:46 pm »
My 8 week old started doing 6-7 hour stretches of sleep. Then last few nights and last night woke every 3 hours despite feeding during the day (bfed baby). Is it a growth spurt? Will it resolve? He isn't sleeping too much during the day (i.e not longer than 2 hours at a time) and I can't get him to take more food than he is, he simply won't take it...
DS 1: Textbook baby, February 2012. Kind and loving big brother to...
DS 2: Textbook (with a little touchy) baby, April 2016. My smallest and dearest bear.

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 23:20:30 pm »
Doesn't sound like a growth spurt if DS isn't drinking more...
Are you feeding when he wakes at 3 hrs? How does he respond? Does he drink heavily then fall asleep or seems awake or in discomfort, etc...?

2 hr naps sound typical... or did you mean 2 hrs total? How many naps and what are the A times now?

As you probably already know, their sleep changes constantly, especially the first 4 months. Hopefully it's a case of riding it out and he'll revert to the long stretches, but looking ahead... there's a big gs at 3 and/or 4 mos along with developmental changes. Whatever is the case, practice independent sleep as much as you can.

Offline ireneasheard

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 23:33:45 pm »
DS feeding well during the day and has been feeding longer - I meant I can't simply up his intake of food if he simply won't take more as he's bfed and simply refuses breast if he's done.

his awake time is around an hour but pushing towards 1 hr 10-15 with a little encouragement.

Yes i feed at 3 hours. His first night feed he fed well. The second he took some not as much but then went back to sleep (not nearly as much as with first night feed). He falls asleep afterwards.

2 hr naps - has 3 with a catnap at the end of day before bath. The naps can be less than 2 hours if he catnaps and I resettle.

DS goes to sleep on his own during the day and for evening sleep so I'm not concerned from that perspective, he definitely self settles. We have a good wind down routine and bedtime routine in place.
DS 2: Textbook (with a little touchy) baby, April 2016. My smallest and dearest bear.

Offline ireneasheard

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 23:53:55 pm »
Should have said during the day sleeps are between 1.5-2 hours. I resettle if it's prior to 1.5 hour mark

Offline ginger428

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 01:09:45 am »
You have a great routine and offer independent sleep practice. He has a good amount of day sleep, too. The only thing I can gather is that he's going through a gs, just maybe not a pronounced one like he kne around 3/4mo. How were the past couple of nights?? As young as he is, I imagine he'll fluctuate and go back to long stretches. Hope you are getting rest when you can!

Offline ireneasheard

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 01:54:46 am »
Thank you! Last few nights my son switched back to 1 longer stretch of 5 hours so only 1 night feed post dream feed again. Hard to say as my son now has a cold but still managed 5 hours even being unwell so l can't complain too much. Hoping that as he gets better that he reverts to the 6-7 hours he was doing. One step at a time. Doing my best and trying to sleep early in evenings before dream feed.

I've also noticed that sometimes my son stirs at night and I am learning to hang back to see if he is resettling or if he needs me (trying not to go in at first noise as I'm not convinced he needs a feed as he isn't calling out for me, only making some noises) but last night resettled without assistance.

Offline ginger428

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 17:12:18 pm »
That's good news!

I've also noticed that sometimes my son stirs at night and I am learning to hang back to see if he is resettling or if he needs me (trying not to go in at first noise as I'm not convinced he needs a feed as he isn't calling out for me, only making some noises) but last night resettled without assistance.
Yay, and great idea! You're doing fabulous.. better than I was with mine! ;)

Offline ireneasheard

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 00:55:31 am »
Thank you I appreciate your support and positive comments xo