Author Topic: What to do with the 5am NW  (Read 13926 times)

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: What to do with the 5am NW
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2016, 12:16:03 pm »
Realistically how long do you think it would take before I saw a change in her WU?  I just want to know that point at which I stop...because we can only go so long cutting day sleep and her nights/WUs not changing. I can push through, but so far we haven't seen any progress, and I complete get it has only been 2 days...but I am obviously not going to keep doing this is we are not getting results at some point.  She's an absolute bear this morning, I can't put her down without her being hysterical.  The last hour of her 2nd A time is always like this, I am usually changing activities every 10mins just to keep her going.  She's just not happy, she's a tired grumpy mess, and it feels like I'm not listening to my baby anymore, it feels like I am completely ignoring what she is telling me.  And again, willing to do that if it means there is an endgame.  I just don't feel like spending our days miserable because she's tired and I'm exhausted trying to keep her occupied (and also waking starting my day at 5:15am) while she's always on the verge of melting down.

So if there is a point where you think we would start to see a change I will keep going until then...3 days, 5 days? A week? 

She is an independent sleeper, she does use a soother but I don't think it's a prop.  She can resettle herself without it and can also replug herself, she also doesn't wake when it falls out.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 12:29:48 pm by Lindsay27 »

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2016, 14:03:13 pm »
Maybe you just need to go back to the routine you had and accept its one of those awkward stages of a transition and as soon as those A times are longer you will naturally get a later BT with a later wu.

Not the miracle answer you're looking for I know!!
Lauren

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2016, 14:10:36 pm »
Being honest - 5-7days I guess to see some longer sleep in the morning here and there and probably longer spell for constant later waking. If she is OT, let her sleep but still try to keep her on the verge I would say.

I know it's hard Lindsay buy it has to be your decision and you have to feel for it, iykwim? Don't push yourself if you don't believe in it, but also be happy of what you have/had if not going this route, I what I am saying has sense? I guess that you also have to observe her and react as you do, but just keeping in mind not so much sleep on the first nap and think of total daytime activity/sleep when going towards EWU. If you feel for it go for a longer first nap but just make it shortest possible for her to survive the day?

Once again sorry that you feel that way - I am just saying what I would do, but it has to be your decision as she is your DD and your commitment. No matter what you do, you know you will do the best Honey.
~Marta

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2016, 14:14:37 pm »
I know I am kind of thinking the same.  She was so hysterical when I put her down for her first nap today and then she woke after 30mins...her first nap as always been her best and she hasn't short-napped it in weeks so it was a pretty clear indication of how OT she is.  I was nearly in tears myself because I felt so guilty for allowing her to get to that point.  In any case I did help her resettle and have just let her sleep, I could bring myself to cap her,  and I am going to just let her catch up today I think.  Weekends are always all over the place so we will just see what happens over the next few days.

The thing is, I do this she is HSN so I think I may have pushed her a bit too far.  All I need is one decent WU and I think she could easily move to 2 naps with 3hr As.

Offline FPT23

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2016, 16:10:42 pm »
Awww many hugs!

Yk, it's always good to try little things to try and help our LOs. It shows you want her happy and settled. At the end of the day, it is your call on how you see her. It's quite possible these EWs could be developmental as she gets through this transition. I know first hand how difficult those EWs are. It's probably a parents most common complaint too ::) .....maybe just accepting the EW for now and go off her cues. Perhaps if she is HSNs, push her A times by less.

One thing is for sure, her A times will increase in due time-- just help her as best you can. We all can offer all the advice but in the end, your there w/ her so go with your instinct. As you say, maybe let her catch up on some sleep as she is OT you say.

Hugs! Hope this passed for you very soon! :(
Fabi

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2016, 17:15:42 pm »
Just a thought Lindsay - if she is a HSN do you think she is really ready for 2 naps? I mean transition can start early but I guess for HSN babies three naps with even a short catnap can last longer?

Re naps and being HSN, I would probably go for two 1.5h not more than that with a shortish catnap if needed. What do you think?
~Marta

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2016, 17:28:12 pm »
Yes ya know I've been thinking that too...if we did 2 x 1.5 and maybe a 20min CN.  The reason I think she is "ready" for 2 naps is because if left to her own devices she can actually pull 2 long ones, so if we had say a 7am WU she could do something like:

Nap 10-11:45
Nap 2:45-4:15
BT 7ish

But given the EW we just can't get there.  But maybe 2 x 1.5 and a mini CN might do for now.  I'm going to look back, we had one day last week I think where she had a 6:15am WU and I'll take a look at what we did there.  After I resettled her this morning she did a total nap of 1.40, just put her down after a 2.55A and I will probably cap this to 1.20-1.5hr and try a little CN at 4:30ish.

Appreciate the help ladies, I know I've been a basket case the last few days!  I've even been having a glass of wine in the evening and that's not even helping me lol ::)

Offline FPT23

« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2016, 18:58:09 pm »
Hugs and your handling it well! It's tough for sure; EWs drive me nuts! ;)
Fabi

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2016, 21:05:11 pm »
She of course refused the CN because she was way too UT for it.  Gah!! Now we are going to end up with a silly long A before BT.  One good WU...I just need one and she could easily do a 2 nap day.  Ugh, whatever...DH can get up with her at 5am tomorrow lol :P

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2016, 10:22:19 am »
Well, 2 things happened here...one was that she STTN and the second was that she woke at 6:05am.  She ended up doing 6:45pm-6:05am, still early but hey it's not 5:30 so I'll take it! Not expecting this to be a regular thing, probably playing catch up, but again I'll take it!

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2016, 13:10:27 pm »
Still, can you post yesterday once again?
~Marta

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #116 on: May 28, 2016, 13:24:58 pm »
I think this might be enough to get us on the right track...hopefully!

Yesterday was:

WU 5:15/resettle until 5:35 then she snuggled in bed with me until 6, kind of dozed a bit
Nap 8:45-10:20
Nap 1:15-2:45
Attempted the CN twice but no luck, so a loooooong A until bed
BT 6:45 (completely asleep, I did try for an earlier BT but she was massively OT so she fought it for a good while

Put her down for her morning nap at 9am today, went off quickly/easily.  Not going to cap it, maybe if we get 2 good naps we can sort of attempt yesterday with her last nap ending later in the afternoon so she won't be so OT and have to do such a long A before bed.

One thing I thought about, since she usually takes a NF around 4am she doesn't normally eat when she wakes up as she's not hungry, so her Es have been right in the middle of her A time, which is fine.  But because she STTN last night she obviously ate when she woke, so with a 3hr A and let's say a 1.5-1.45hr nap that means she's going 4.5-5hrs between feeds.  Is that okay? She's not on solids yet.  Might just have to up her bottle an ounce. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 13:30:28 pm by Lindsay27 »

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #117 on: May 29, 2016, 14:06:49 pm »
A 7am WU!!!! Omg, and DS slept until 8:30...it's like Christmas over here lol :P

So yesterday she did a solid morning nap but then only did 30mins in the afternoon.  DS and I had a birthday party to go to so DH tried to get her to do another short nap but no luck, so again she had a super long A to bed.  So I think she just generally likes having her solid morning nap which is 1.45hr and can handle less sleep in the PM.  So that said I think I will keep her morning nap as is and cap her PM nap as needed and try to give her a 3hr A to bed and see what happens. 

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #118 on: May 29, 2016, 14:40:53 pm »
Hahaha, so happy for you!
~Marta

Offline FPT23

« Reply #119 on: May 29, 2016, 15:03:46 pm »
Yay!! ;D

Keep us posted on your success! I may need the help when I step into 3-2 territory ;)
Fabi