Author Topic: What to do with the 5am NW  (Read 13929 times)

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: What to do with the 5am NW
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2016, 13:30:37 pm »
Marta and I have been discussing doing a short-long-short routine so we are going to see how that goes.  She did coincidentally end up doing that yesterday (not by design lol) and I think it was okay overall, she did end up with too much day sleep but we had a family BBQ to attend and I knew she'd have a late BT so I didn't worry about it too much.  She had a long NW from 4:20-5:15am but her WU was 6:15am.  Also going to try to generally keep her daytime sleep to 3hrs.  I pushed her A to 2.45hr this morning and she did it but was definitely tired so we will probably hold there for a bit, I don't think she can make it to 3hrs yet, but with her "later" WU this morning we managed to make it to 9am before she needed a nap.

Today will be a mess so not focusing on it as it is a holiday here and we have some family things to attend.  Will try to get it all sorted this week :)

Offline FPT23

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2016, 13:44:13 pm »
Well sounds like a plan then :)

Positive vibes and happy holiday!
Fabi

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2016, 10:28:18 am »
Okay ladies, I'm home with DD for the next 3 days while DS is at preschool so I want to give this short-long-short a go, but I'm just not entirely sure how to work it.  She was up at 5:45 this morning.  Something like this?

WU 5:45
Nap 8:30-9:30 capped
Nap 11:45 maybe 12 noon - 1:15/1:30 (shortened A time due to shorter 1st nap)
Nap 4-4:30
BT 7

My concerns are she always wakes in the middle of her second nap so I am going to run the risk that I can't get her to resettle and then we go nearly half the day with 2 short naps.  If I can resettle her she'll normally sleep 1.45-2hrs but I assume I will have to cap that to 1.5hrs correct? Otherwise the 3rd 30 min nap will push is over 3hrs day sleep.  But capping 2 naps scares me lol. 

Does this look right?  Should also mention that I need to do preschool pick up between 4-5pm and that usually takes 30mins so I need the day organized around that. 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 11:21:30 am by Lindsay27 »

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2016, 11:59:05 am »
Sorry Hon, I wa sto answer you PM. So I would push first nap to 8:45 as even if this one is OT, you can handle that. Second nap do even after 2.5h just to prevent her being OT and sleeping nicely. Third nap as you planed - anything from 15 to 30min depending on nap no 2. Preschool pick up seems to work ideally with a third nap which can be apoped.

Yes you may end with short naps the whole day but being totally honest - is that so bad...? I mean I know we all love long naps:))) but you want to change a big habit of your child of EWU. I guess that going a bit off the schedule you did have may help - no matter how much sleep your DD needs, I guess that you need a big shift with that 5:30 wakeup, not a little tweaks. Even if days go a bit haywire I would try. And as I said, short naps are not so bad. If this routine won't help - you will go back to the old one.
~Marta

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2016, 12:59:36 pm »
So should I cap nap 2 at 1.5hrs or let her sleep as much as she needs and adjust the CN accordingly?

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2016, 13:55:45 pm »
And seriously though, how do you wake this up!? I did, because you made me lol :P.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2016, 14:34:52 pm »
Hahaha she is super cute Honey:))). What about letting her sleep 2h and 45-60min in the morning and 20-30 in the afternoon?
~Marta

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2016, 23:49:24 pm »
Okay so this is what we ended up with...

NW/NF 4am
WU 5:45am
Nap 8:45-9:45am (capped)
Nap 12:05-1:50pm (woke on her own)
Nap 4:35-5pm (capped)
BT 7pm

What do you think?  I think overall we ended up with 3.10hr of day sleep...if I'm adding correctly lol

It wasn't super easy but it wasn't super hard either.  The last 30mins of her first A were hairy, and at the 2hr mark of her second A she was hysterical so we didn't make it to a 2.5hr A...I pushed her as far as I could, by the end I was just holding her walking around the house and she was just crying and crying so I put her down and ended up with a 2.20 A.  The CN was later than I intended because daycare pickup took a little long (all the kids want to run over and gawk at Nora, it takes an eternity to get out of there!).  She was a bit of a mess at BT, took a while to settle but it was nothing extreme.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2016, 05:12:51 am »
I think 3:10 is fine with such an early wakeup. You will head towards 3h or something when she is going to sleep longer. Probably one day won't change the entire scheme but let's see the results after couple of days. Her second A seems to be fine I guess - did she wake inbetween?
~Marta

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2016, 10:22:15 am »
No she didn't wake up during her second nap, she napped 1.45hr through on her own.  Wake up was 5:45am today so I will try to follow the same routine again. 

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2016, 11:10:30 am »
Keeping my fingers crossed.
~Marta

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2016, 00:06:01 am »
So today started off good then went a little wonky...

NF 3:30am
WU 5:45am
Nap 8:45-9:45 (1hr - capped)
Nap 12:10 - 1:25 (1.15hr - woke on her own, was super unsettled...tossed and turned.  Don't know what that was about, she was plenty tired when she went down, like yesterday the last bit of this A time was rather unpleasant)

Then my sister asked me if I could run over to her house to feed her dogs as she was going to be home late, sure no issue.  I left home at 2:30pm and on my way back at about 3pm my little stinker fell asleep in the car!   :o ::)  I thought I wasn't really in a window for that to happen, but it did.  She only slept for about 10mins but it threw our 3rd nap/CN completely out of whack, she wouldn't settle at all and then when she finally did it was wayyyy later than I had intended, so I capped it at 25mins so we didn't push BT out too much, but it meant she actually got less than 3hrs day sleep (2:50hr I believe). 

Nap 4:55 - 5:20 (25mins - capped)
BT 7:15pm

So, the day ended up a touch long  :-\  We'll see what happens I guess, I'm not exactly hopeful for a post-dawn WU tomorrow lol  ::)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 01:42:20 am by Lindsay27 »

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2016, 05:41:03 am »
LOL Lindsay:), shorter naps but nice day I guess. Let us know what happened at night...:).
~Marta

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2016, 10:37:51 am »
So last night she did her NF at 1:30am, WU was 5:15am, resettled and re-woke at 5:35am.  I know she's getting OT, her wake ups get earlier when she's OT...for example the 2 days we did 2 nap days her wake ups ended up being 5am.  Given I've increased her first A by 30mins and reduced her overall day sleep by 30mins, and her nights are the same (or in this case shorter), it's understandable.  And yesterday she never really had a quality nap, her longest one was 1.15hr and she was really unsettled through the whole thing, hence why she fell asleep in the car 1.5hrs later.

So I don't know, I don't really know where to go from here....it's only been 2 days of this routine which is probably not enough to see a difference, but I really feel like I'm stretching her to her max.  Not sure what to do today.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2016, 11:39:04 am »
It's your decision Honey and I totally agree she is getting OT. The case is I think that you have not much to lose, if I am right? I mean for me EWU of DS were fatal, I cannot function with that kind of an wakeup. So I really don't want nice naps and whatever else until I don't get more reasonable wakeup. As you already did everything else except from cutting daysleep and naps, you can go this route and check if it will give you some results or stay with EWU, longer peaceful naps if that's what's better for you and her.

Btw I never asked as the thread is totally about routine somehow, but is she independent sleepers? Do you use dummy? If yes, have you ever thought of ditching the dummy? I get rid of it at 3mo as we're going through awful naps with constant paci replug but as a result resettling DS in the morning became easier. Instead of a fight to make him to sleep, I craved into his room at 5:40 when he woke and just used white noise. It had to be on until 7am but he was quite and almost as asleep (closed eyes:).
~Marta