Author Topic: 7 mos - cutting naps too fast?  (Read 1129 times)

Offline ThomasTheTank

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: April 18, 2016, 13:03:03 pm »
Hi ladies,

My son is 7 months today. My goal is for a 2 hour nap midday (or at least 1 1/2 hours) to align with my toddlers nap (well, part of it). I was waking him after 30 minutes from his first nap in order to ensure a longer one later. But then he started cutting the long nap, so I cut his first nap down to 20 minutes. Now he's cutting it again, but he seems soooo young to cut his first nap down to 15 minutes! Hoping you can take a look at the routine below and let me know your thoughts:

Wake up: He sleeps 11 1/2 to 12 hours solid a night, so wake up is sometime between 6:15 and 7am.
E: 6oz formula at 7am (I leave him in his cot till then)
E: oatmeal and fruit usually
S: 9:30am for 20 minutes now, considering reducing to 15 minutes
E: 11:15 protein dish with fruit or yoghurt (I cut the 11am feed about a week ago and he's coping well)
S: 12:30. I'd like this sleep to be 2 hours but he's cut it to an hour the last two days!!
E: 2:30 about 4oz formula
E: 5pm finger food
E: 6:30 about 7oz formula
S: Asleep sometime between 6:45 and 7

He goes to sleep really well independently with no fuss usually. He's out like a light at night. For his first nap, sometimes he'll cry for a couple minutes before nodding off. For his long nap, he rolls around for about 5 minutes talking to himself. I should also add that he's not interested in his 2:30 feed, so I know it's not hunger waking him. Also, when he wakes early from the nap, he doesn't cry, just starts rocking on his hands and knees and looking around. I've tried leaving him, but he's not tired.. just awake! If he naps 1 1/2 hours, he can make it through until bedtime, but he's pretty tired. If it's more like an hour, I've had to give him a 15 minute nap again before 5. And he's a happy baby so I'm confident that even though it's on the low end, he's getting the sleep he needs.

Thanks in advance!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: 7 mos - cutting naps too fast?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 14:04:16 pm »
Is he only getting around 17 oz in a day of formula? The recs here are that formula (or bm) are the main source of nutrition until one year old. Solids just don't pack the same nutritional punch (well they would have to eat a lot to make up a similar amount ;) ). So firstly I would recommend adding that dropped feed back in - he could be waking from hunger. I understand the desire to get them both napping at once but his day isn't very balanced - that is a really long A time to bed - how well is he coping with that?
Heidi

Offline ThomasTheTank

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 14:20:11 pm »
Hi, thanks for your reply.

On the formula, I thought BW recommended a minimum of 16oz a day once they are on 3 solid meals? (page 132 BWSAYP) In addition to formula, he has milk in his oatmeal, some yogurt and oftentimes a dish made with cheese sauce. I am confident he's not waking from hunger - he isn't crying and he happily waits until 2:30 to eat and then when I give him that bottle, he's not very interested.

I know the traditional BW routine is roughly the same A time each awake time, but I thought there were other mummies on here who did a longer A to bed? If he naps at least 1 1/2 hours, he's totally fine until bedtime. He gets a little sleepy on his last bottle, but he's happy. I've thought about pushing his nap to 1pm and then moving his bottle form 2:30 to 3pm and maybe that's the best solution? That would make his 2nd A time 3 hours 15 min.

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 15:11:40 pm »
I have loaned that book out so I cannot reference it...I can only go by the recs in my area (24 oz min from age 7-9 months). Maybe check the recs in your area.

However if he is happy to wait he isn't waking from hunger in that case! I think I would try your idea to push nap 2 back a bit...perhaps it is an ut waking. His nights are still good?
Heidi

Offline ThomasTheTank

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 15:24:19 pm »
Ok I'll do that.

Yes, his nights are fab - 11 1/2 to 12 hours solid every night and wakes up happy as a lark, playing in his cot until I come to get him. I agree it's UT which is why I wondered about cutting his first nap again. But maybe pushing the nap back is better. I fear that could result in EW from UT at BT -- when he was still cat napping in the afternoon we had that problem. I'll try it though and see what happens.

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 15:29:41 pm »
Fx that it works! Such a tricky time it is until they are ready for one nap a day!
Heidi

Offline ThomasTheTank

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 13:40:43 pm »
I pushed his nap back until 12:45 today and it worked! About to wake him up as it's been 2 hours. Hoorah!

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 13:46:13 pm »
Yay! Glad it worked!
Heidi