Author Topic: Pick up put down for naps?  (Read 3526 times)

Offline Graysor

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 18, 2016, 14:25:22 pm »
Hello.  I need some help with PU/PD and naps for my 4 month old.  We've been doing EASY since around 10 weeks and trying to do shush pat for naps with pretty much zero success. She is definitely getting worse rather than better at  going down ( i have to hold and rock her while shh pattng for 30 mins + tilll she is in a deep sleep and still wakes after 30 mins exactly every time, even if I do wts. I've been trying pu/pd because we're not making any progress just with shh pat. I have a few questions :

Can I use pu/pd for naps?

When I pu she goes from crying to asleep but still crying to asleep,  with no calm period I'm between.  So when should I put her down?  Obviously putting her down when still crying just means it immediately escalates. But if I wait longer I'm putting her down asleep which is wrong for this technique? (Although she wakes and starts crying immediately anyway)

How long should I persevere with pu/pd for a nap?  Today I tried for an hour without success.

Thanks. 

Offline crazyyear

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 09:32:13 am »
Hope you don't mind me jumping on board but
I'm having the very same issue with my almost 5 month old. Have been using PU/PD for a week and a half now, night time she is sleeping 7-6 with a dream feed at 11 and night feed about 4-settles much better at night and I hardly have to PU.
Naps are a disaster-takes almost 30 mins to settle and only sleeps for 30 minutes. She settled too when I pick her up eventually and goes straight to sleep on my shoulder but when I put her down she screams again!
Any advise? How long do naps usually take to crack?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Pick up put down for naps?
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 10:20:08 am »
I think really they are both too young for PUPD; I've only ever done the PD part with an older baby.

It depends how much crying you are willing to take. Personally I prefer a more gentle approach and will pick my baby up and hold him for an entire nap(I get to read a book!) if he's upset. We are trying for one nap in his crib a day with patting and white noise, and have gone from first successful nap there at end feb to first self settle on 12 April.

Short naps are developmentally appropriate at this stage, so I'd advise gently persisting with shh pat and making sure your A times are ok for the baby.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline crazyyear

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 12:55:14 pm »
Thanks for the tip,I actually didn't try shush pat as thought it was for younger babies but makes sense that the pick up is stimulating her too much!
If happily keep her in my arms but I've a 4 year old in the house too which makes all this even harder to work on.
I will give shush pat a go...thanks again!

Offline Graysor

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 13:20:42 pm »
Thanks for the response MJ. Interesting that you think short naps are appropriate at this age. I would tend to agree, it's what my instinct is telling me is normal for dd at the moment. But it's hard when everything I read says how important long naps are, especially the 1.5 / 2 hours at lunchtime.

I'm starting to reach the conclusion that all these bw techniques don't really do anything (at least not for most babies). It just gives mums the illusion that they are doing something while really we just have to wait for time to pass.

Back to naps in the sling for us for now (my poor back!). Life is too short to be spending many hours of the day shushing, patting, picking up and putting down to just get 30 mins nap.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 13:55:08 pm »
I'd agree! I have an older child too, and horses to look after. That's why we only do one nap a day at home.

If you are set up for shh pat it can actually be quite restful! We have a white noise app and a bedside crib, so I just fall asleep once he's gone off. A yoga ball for backup helps, too. But we generally have one sling nap a day and will for some time.

Babies generally get the sleep they need, don't worry!

Offline crazyyear

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 14:47:23 pm »
Is it really a developmental stage? My first was the same and we sleep trained him and eventually he took long naps but wonder would he have out grown it at some stage. My sisters babies always took long naps, make me feel it's something I've done wrong i.e. Accidental parenting, which needs to be put right.
I have to be honest and say a break in the day to spend some time with ds1 or watch tv would be nice 😉

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 15:39:55 pm »
All babies are different, some sleep more than others. I'm pretty sure there is scientific evidence that sleep consolidates naturally over time. Just can't lay my hands on it right now.

Offline crazyyear

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 08:55:06 am »
Quick question, if baby falls asleep while I'm doing shush pat is this still teaching to self soothe?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 10:05:50 am »
Yes, absolutely! Over time you can reduce the amount of patting and then, one day,  just put baby down.

Have you got other sleep cues in place? Good wind downs are important to 'set the scene' for sleep time, and eventually take over from patting.

Offline crazyyear

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 10:51:51 am »
Thanks for that! She just fell asleep there with more of a shush and rub! When she wakes after 30 mins should I do the same to get her back to sleep or is this not creating a bit of a dependency?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 13:01:59 pm »
Yes, by all means try. It may take a while to work, and for some it doesn't work at all. That's where we are right now!