Author Topic: 3 month old EASY gone wonky... help!  (Read 5261 times)

Offline ladyboz

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 19, 2016, 21:51:32 pm »
an someone please help my with my 3  month olds EASY routine? She's been on the 3 hour since coming home from the hospital. We had some hiccups around 6 ish weeks with early morning wakeups but I increased her awake time and that seemed to help. However now we're dealing with 45 minute to an hour naps. And she won't settle. She'll wake and be content but then instead of falling asleep she'll stay awake and eventually get frustrated and start crying. Last night she also woke about an hour after falling asleep for the evening. My dh popped her paci back in and she must have laid awake for a good 40 minutes before falling back asleep. She woke again at 1:30. She hadn't been doing that so again, my dh popped her paci back in and she went right to sleep. Woke at her usual time at 4:30 to nurse and went back to sleep and I woke her at 7am to start our day. Here's what our days have been like and the last one is how it's been going the past few days...

7am wake/eat
8:15 asleep
10:00wake/eat
11:15 asleep
1pm wake/eat
2:15 asleep
4pm wake/eat
5:15 sleep
6:10 wake
6:30bath/bedtime routine
7:00 nurse and lay down for the night. She's out by 7:20 the latest!
4am she wakes to eat and goes right back to sleep

Here's how it's been going the past few days

7:00 wake up/eat (she won't eat well since she ate at 4:30)
8:15 swaddle and lay down.
10:00 awake time and eat
11:15 swaddle and lay down
12:15 awake and have to give her paci. She ended up not falling asleep and just laid in her crib
1pm awake and eat
2:15 swaddle and lay down
3:10 awake. She did not go back to sleep. I gave her a paci. Picked up and layer her down. She didn't want to sleep.
4pm got her up and she was all smiles and coos. But was very cranky by 5pm. Fought her catnap and I ended up just rocking her to sleep and laid her down. But then she only slept for 30 minutes and was wide awake.

Is it possible that she's ready for the 4 hour EASY since she's waking early from her naps and isn't eating much every 3 hours? She's also EBF. She also fights the last feed of the night (7pm). Advice please, would really like to avoid habits if possible. She had been napping so well!

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: 3 month old EASY gone wonky... help!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 23:33:10 pm »
Is definitely bump her A time, I think she's a bit UT.  It looks like your A times are about 1hr 15mins if I am reading your EASY correctly?  So I'd work towards pushing to 1.5hrs and that should help.  If she can't make the jump all at once just increase by 5-10mins every 2-3 days.

Offline ladyboz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 00:54:21 am »
Thanks for the quick reply and yes she's at 1hr 15 minutes of awake time. I'll try upping her awake time. What will the rest of the EASY routine look like? If she wakes at 7am and goes to sleep at 8:30 do I wake her at 10 still or 10:30? Also, how much time should I spend trying to get her back to sleep if she wakes? And if she never goes back to sleep, when does the awake time start?

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 01:03:20 am »
So if her regular WU time is 7am her EASY would hopefully look like:

E 7am
A
S 8:30-10

Ideally she would have 3 x 1.5hr naps, but if a nap goes longer that's fine.  If she wakes from a nap early I usually don't dedicate more than 10-15mins resettling or you will drive yourself crazy lol.  If she doesn't resettle, reduce the next A by 10-15mins to hopefully avoid OT.

Offline ladyboz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 01:10:09 am »
Thank you! I'll be giving this a go tomorrow. I almost went insane today trying to resettle her naps. I have a 3 year old dd who needs my attention too. I feel like all I did was hush her and say that sister is trying to sleep. Ugh... lol Hopefully tomorrow goes better.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 01:20:50 am »
I know it all too well! You absolutely feel like you are trapped in a room shh/patting all day long while your other LO is doing god knows what!  My DS goes to preschool 3 x a week so on those days I would try to dedicate myself to resettling naps if I could.  Do what you can handle without driving yourself mad :)

Offline ladyboz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 21:44:33 pm »
I'm back. lol We had several great weeks using the advice given. My LO just turned 4 months over the weekend and I've been noticing shorter naps about 45 minutes and her evening catnap is at most 15 to 30 minutes tops! She's also been waking at 11:30pm and 2pm but isnt hungry. DH just pops her paci in. Between 4 and 5am I go and nurse her to keep her from an early waking (she usually sleeps nurse or if awakes goes right back to sleep.). Could we be ready for the 4 hour EASY? And if so can we just dive in and do it immediately? I already know she can handle a 2 hour awake period as shes been fine with it before when we've been out and about or running errands. Just dont know how naps will go. Heres what our EASY has been like the past week....

7:00am I wake her to start day. Eat (Sometimes she doesnt eat well if she nurses at 5am)
8:30 Sleep
9:15-9:30 She wakes. I paci and she just lays there.
10:00am Eat
11:15-11:30 Sleep
12:30 She wakes and coos in crib or fusses for me to get her. I pacify till 1pm.
1:00pm Eat
2:15 Nap (best nap of day!)
4:00 I usually have to wake her. Eat
5:15 Nurse/Nap (the only way I can get her to settle and rest)
5:45 Up. She won't sleep.
6:00ish we get her up. We figure resting in her crib for a bit helps her handle bath/bath routine.
6:30 bath
7:00 nurse and sleep

11:30pm paci
2:00 sometimes have to paci

Could she be ready for the 4 hour? Right now I feel like everyhthing revolves around night sleep. I don't want to jepordize our night sleep. She needs the rest and SO do I. lol Therefore, Im trying to tread carefully. I don't want to do anything to make the night wakings worse, but I also don't want to do nothing and it get even worse. Oh, I hope Im making sense. lol

Offline ladyboz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 21:46:36 pm »
And that should read 11:30pm amd 2am night wakings for paci. Sorry! Trying to get her to take a catnap now.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 23:45:54 pm »
I think she's definitely ready to move toward 4hr EASY as it does seem like she's UT for naps.  Generally A times need to keep increasing slowly so you don't have to do big jumps all at once, I would try a 1.45hr A time and see how she does and go from there, but she can probably move to a 2hr A time pretty quickly.  Getting her on 2 solid naps and likely a CN is actually probably going to help nights.  That said, there is a pretty big sleep regression at 4 months so often nights go completely wonky regardless.  My DD was doing 7pm-3/4am and then at 4 months she was waking at 1am and 5am, now at a bit over 5 months we are back to 7pm-4am.

Offline ladyboz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 01:15:49 am »
Thanks for the quick response! Funny how these little ones stay on target regarding sleep regressions ect. Lol my dd was doing so well too sleeping from 7pm-4 or 5am when I would basically rouse her a bit to nurse and go right back to sleep. I'm going to clear our schedule next week so we can devote to time to moving to the 4 hour easy. We'll just have to muscle through these next few days that are filled with appointments and busy weekend.

Oh! Also, she's ebf. Will the affect her napping if she goes 4 hours between feeds? Should I nurse her before naps?

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 01:31:26 am »
Sounds great! So yes, many BF babies don't fully transition to 4hrs between feeds the same way/as quickly as formula fed ones, so you may need to offer a little top up before the nap.  Makes things awkward for a bit until she is fully able to go 4hrs between feeds.

Offline ladyboz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 13:48:46 pm »
Hello! Things have been going great the past two months. Thanks for the wonderful advice. I have a few questions as we're heading into her 6th month. She can handle awake times very well and is usually very content and happy. I have a 3yr old and we're very busy between playdates/classes and such. We're usually gone most mornings. I do make it a point to be home by 1pm for naps for both girls and they sleep wonderfully for 2 hours which I usually have to wake them. My question is... my almost 6month old has been fighting her catnap at 5pm. I'm assuming it's because she needs more than a 2 hr awake time? If she doesn't take her catnap she goes down for bed easily by 7pm but she's miserable the time in between as she's been awake by 3. If she does take her catnap she fights bedtime. Here's what a typical day has been looking like...
7:00am WU/E
9:00 S
10:00 /WU
11:00E
1:00S/Nurse
3:00 WU/E
5:00 CN (try too)
5:30 Solids
6:30 bedroutine
7:00nurse and asleep.
4:00 I sleep nurse her (mainly to help her gain weight as she's very tiny and to avoid early wakeups)

What should I do to help with the evenings? Is there any way I can keep her 2nd nap around the 1pm time frame as I really like that I can have some time in the afternoon to get things done while both girls nap.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 13:55:27 pm by ladyboz »

Offline ladyboz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 13:52:30 pm »
I'm sorry for all the typos. I typed this pretty quick and am on my phone. Lol
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 13:54:11 pm by ladyboz »

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 14:37:46 pm »
Is it possible to push both naps out by 30mins? If she's napping 1-3pm she's definitely UT for the CN and I would think about dropping it.  I am wondering if you do her afterno from 1:30-3:30 and then it might make BT more manageable.  And then you still have the bulk of the nap at the same time as your other DD.  If you don't want to move the afternoon nap I would definitely bring bedtime forward to 6:30 at a minimum.

Offline ladyboz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 18:28:16 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply! I'll try this tomorrow as we're all trying to recoup from a late family night last night. Quick question, do you think it's ok for a 6 month old to take a short 1 hour nap in the morning and a 2 hour nap in the afternoon? It seems like not enough day rest, but she seems to be doing ok other than our bedtime ails at the moment.