Author Topic: Night weaning 10month old  (Read 2094 times)

Offline Mum2lucy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Night weaning 10month old
« on: April 20, 2016, 08:56:25 am »
Hi,

I've had another post on this topic in night waking as my lg keeps waking around 4.30-5.30. I've been feeding her and she goes straight back to sleep. Until recently she would feed back to sleep on the boob at this time but it is the only feed to sleep of the day. All naps and bt is independent.

She does baby led weaning so I've been conscious of this and the fact that she won't be eating as much as a traditionally weaned baby. I do think now she is eating enough during the day to not need a night feed.

She isn't really screaming at her wake up but she moans and won't go back to sleep. I've sent the oh in her settle her back to sleep but it doesn't seem to work at this time.
I want to do a gradual wean of this feed so I have been timing it. It is 4.30mins of active sucking, 1.30mins slower sucking/comfort so last night I cut the whole feed to 4.30mins and put her back in the cot awake. She went back to sleep after 5 mins and a short moan/cry.

If I keep reducing the feed by a min every few days do you think this will work? Any other tips?
Thanks

Offline Mum2lucy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Night weaning 10month old
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 08:57:13 am »
I should add that the 4.30/5.30 am wake up tends to be the only night waking with a bt of 7.30pm ish

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 04:29:27 am »
Sorry no btdt advice but just bumping you up!
Heidi

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 19:35:54 pm »
Yes many people have success with reducing the number of minutes they feed for.  Why not give it a go and see? :)
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 20:42:58 pm »
Hi - I would have thought that it would be habit by now so yes, try reducing the feed - good luck - let us know how you get on  :)

Offline HettyO

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 07:14:23 am »
Can I ask how you got on with reducing the feed? Seems to me the least stressful way to wean.

I'm in similar situation. I've got the feeds down to just 5mins so far. Sometimes he seems more genuinely hungry and will want more other times cones off and goes down without a peep.

Offline Mum2lucy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 09:37:27 am »
Hiya,

I only did a few nights of reducing the feed and then she started sleeping through properly- however I do think it was just coincidence.
However she's now nearly one and is waking again around 4am and won't go back to sleep without nursing. I've been giving in and doing it as she won't sleep again without it but she's overtired just now as in the 2:1 nap transition so think that's why.

I would give it a go to reduce the night feed. It certainly is a gentle way of doing it and if my lg doesn't stop the 4am wake up soon, I'll be doing the same!  ::)

Offline HettyO

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 08:57:11 am »
Thanks for your words of encouragement. We've been doing 5mins feeds for a while but can't seem to get it down any less but I'll persevere.

Hope you're little one settles down again very soon

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 22:57:15 pm »
HettyO, I see from your other posts that your LO is only 6.5mo. It's completely normal for a baby of that age to have a night feed or two so he probably is genuinely hungry and not ready to wean all night feeds yet.  I would just let him feed as much as he wants for now.

Offline HettyO

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 19:46:33 pm »
Thanks Ali. Especially for taking the time to view my other post (napping has now settled and we're back to 7 WU).

I don't mind getting up with him at all. I expected to be doing so for a whole yet but he self settles after his 4 wake up, then wakes up maybe 40mins later then builds slowly (over 10mins) to a hungry cry so I did start to wonder if it was more of a habit wake up. That's the only reason I started reducing his feed and he's happily gone down to 5mins but weve progressed no further. Thought it was worth a go. my gut is carry on, offer more if he protests and he'll drop it when ready

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 22:35:10 pm »
I think so