Author Topic: 2-1 transition - nap suddenly bad  (Read 922 times)

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
2-1 transition - nap suddenly bad
« on: April 20, 2016, 13:09:21 pm »
hi all,
we moved to one nap when DD was 10 months old as she always handled long A times very well and mainly because we got horrible long NW's. the NW's improved a little bit as in they were less frequent and shorter, however over the last week or so her one nap has become shorter. since we moved to one nap DD would sleep 2.5 hrs. now she usually wakes after 1.20 or 1.5 hrs and I usually feed her back to sleep and then she sleeps her full 2.5hrs, or even 3 if I let her. She has become more tired, probably because she is suddenly more mobile which seems to tire her out. so I wonder if she wakes OT or UT from the nap or if me feeding her back to sleep has become a prop and she wakes for that feed now? any ideas? she doesn't usually wakes crying, just sits there, and when I put her on the breast she falls back asleep pretty quickly. Im thinking of going back to 2 naps as she seems so much more tired. before she wouldn't have given me any tired signs and handled the new A time of 5 or 5.5hrs very well. I really would hate to introduce a CN again, it was always such a struggle to get her down for it... any thoughts? I know moving to 1 nap at 10 months was very early, but her NW's were just horrible... I always had to cap one or both of her naps to fit everything in the day... oh DD is now almost 11 months...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 13:12:04 pm by zissi »
Franziska

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: 2-1 transition - nap suddenly bad
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 19:47:11 pm »
Hi there!
Don't feel bad about 2-1 if you felt it was right. My DS went 2-1 at 10 months as well and we too had a longer adjustment that was much likely needed:/

She doesn't have a pacifier, correct?
How long is she sleeping 1 time/day? 3 weeks?

I would really like to see her day in an easy format. Could you write it down? I'm thinking maybe she is hungry?

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 08:22:42 am »
hi there, thanks for your reply.
she still feeds a lot during the day, every 3 hours or so plus solids (BLW, so often she doesn't eat huge quantities)
her easy is usually like this:
wu 6am BF
breakfast
BF
11am lunch
top up BF before nap, but change of nappy afterwards
nap 11.30-2pm (over the last week woke always after 1.20 but was able to settle through BF)
BF
snack
BF
dinner
BF
BT 7.20pm, asleep by 7.30.
10pm DF
usually wakes for a feed around 4am (sometimes goes down easily, other times cot party for 1hr+) (she wakes once or twice before that too but DH settles her without problems)

I appreciate its a long day especially only on one nap but previously I thought she was LSN, now Im not too sure.
yes, we have been 3 weeks on one nap only and it went really well A timewise and nap wise for the first 2 weeks.
she doesn't have a pacifier and settles for sleep without breast, usually only with minimal shush pat.
so it may be a case of her being more tired now since she is mobile. I will try today a first nap after 4 hrs of A time and hope for a CN in the late afternoon, just to tie her over to BT. what do you think?
Franziska

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 09:24:55 am »
ok, so just attempted A time of 4 hrs for first nap. it was an absolute nightmare, hard crying for 10 mins and eventually I held her to sleep and put her down in the cot. she didn't show any signs of tiredness before bringing her to bedroom. so maybe too early. although this is the time she would fall asleep in the car, but its the motion I guess. gosh I really don't know if going back to 2 naps is the right thing. especially since she will start daycare in 6 weeks and there they put them down for a nap at 11.30. thats their main nap. any ideas?
Franziska

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 18:27:01 pm »
I think knowing they put the kids down for nap at 11:30 is the key here. Try aiming for that.If she sleeps 2h at that time I would not mess around with it I think.

I think her 2h nap is ok, and she clearly can handle A time well. I would not be even too prompt to resettle at 1:30 to be honest. Instead I would bring BT closer. The thing that stood out to me is a long day. 6-7:30 for her when she is entering the transition might be too much.

What do you think about starting BT routine at 6 so she would be asleep by 6:30-6:45?