Author Topic: 9 month baby. Standing up at bedtime.  (Read 902 times)

Offline Jojo290615

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 19, 2016, 09:23:29 am »
Just needed a bit of advice on bedtime. At the moment lo's is 9 months and his new skill is pulling himself up on everything and everyone hehe. And likes to also practice this at bedtime !(sigh) and mornings.

I normally put him to bed around 6:30-6:45pm, kiss him goodnight and leave him to get to sleep alone.. This has been working really well.. Up to about a week ago.. He wants to play and practice his skills etc . So I have been going back in his room.. Laying him down .. Saying good night again .. Again and again !! Hehe and then it ends up that I settle him in his cot with sssh pat etc . Then he falls asleep .
I know this is a phase and he is also going through wonder weeks leap 7... But is sleeping through and napping good.
At nap time I don't have any issues with the standing and so on, as lo sleeps in his pram outside. ( very common in Sweden ) so he is swaddled in his sleeping bag.

I'm just a bit concerned that I'm creating a bad habit at bedtime by settling him to sleep.
What would you advise?

Many thanks :)

« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 17:12:49 pm by Jojo290615 »

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 9 month baby .. Night wakings
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 09:59:16 am »
Hi there
Sorry your post was missed.

I do not think you will have any problems with creating a bad habit at BT.  Your LO is usually an independent sleeper and he will most likely return to this the moment he can.  You are totally right about this being a phase and once it passes he will go right back to his usual independent ways.
You can give him as much A time on the floor as possible which may help him with his new skill or pulling himself up, it is more helpful for LO to pull himself rather than you holding his hands or 'helping' him walk, so all you can do is provide floor time and opportunity (so as little time as possible in high chair, car seat, bouncers or other seats, pram etc).

You might find some physical exercise prior to BT to be useful, I think mine needed a chance to burn off the last of his energy before his night sleep.  You might also find just a touch longer on his last A time might help to make him that bit extra tired and possibly less likely to pull up to stand quite so much at BT.  You can always reduce the last A again after the phase if needed.

hope this helps.

Offline Jojo290615

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 9 month baby. Standing up at bedtime.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 17:17:14 pm »
Hi:)

Thank you for the advice :)
It does actually seem to be improving, I can't really complain it still only takes about 15/20 minutes for him to fall asleep. :)
 Thanks again for all your help !!
xxx

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 9 month baby. Standing up at bedtime.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 17:27:12 pm »
You're welcome :)