Author Topic: Need help with A times/tired cues please!  (Read 974 times)

Offline gemmavicki

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Need help with A times/tired cues please!
« on: April 22, 2016, 13:48:04 pm »
Hi,

My LO is 8 weeks old (but was born 5 weeks premature so adjusted age is 3 weeks). I am trying to get him on a 3 hour EASY (he's 9.5lbs). He does fine going 3 hours between feeds but I'm confused as to whether I'm reading his tired cues correctly as his naps are erratic. He will usually go down fairly easily but sometimes will sleep for 1.5 hours and sometimes only for 30-40 mins. My problem is that he seems to show signs of tiredness (yawns) after only 30-35 mins A time - so basically just enough time for a feed and a nappy change. Is he really tired at this point? For his actual age, he should be looking at an A time of 1 hour 15 mins or so and even for his adjusted age, his A should be at least an hour so I feel as though I am acting too soon at the first yawn. If I wait though, and start the wind down at around 45-50mins (to be asleep by 1hour - 1 hour 10mins) then he is difficult to put down and tends to wake up earlier from naps.

Any thoughts or advice would be great, thanks!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Need help with A times/tired cues please!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 18:47:56 pm »
The first few weeks of a full term LO are quite sleepy, I wonder if your LO is still in that sleepy phase and so is ready for a sleep on the shorter A time?  If he is sleeping well on the shorter A time then I'd go with that.  If he is short napping on the shorter A time due to UT then I'd try to stretch it out another 10 mins.
Remember the guidance A times are only guidance, we all adapt the times to suit our LOs.
If you record your times each day for a while you might see a pattern emerge, for instance maybe a very short first A time with a slightly longer second A time and for the rest of the day, or the other way around with a longer first A time and a bit shorter for the rest of the day - not every A time has to be exactly the same throughout the day.
Although I am totally for starting a routine at this age (I started mine young) I would also say LO is still very very young so keep expectations low, don't panic if things don't appear 'perfect' and expect to take some time to get to know your LO and what is best for him, it does take time.

hope this helps

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Need help with A times/tired cues please!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 20:34:42 pm »
Congratulations on your new DS! I agree with creations that he is so young that whilst you can certainly use this time to get to know him, his sleepy cues, personality and any routine he might be getting himself into, it is also important just to enjoy him and give him the love and cuddles that he needs right now. He is out in the big wide world and you both need that all important bonding and cuddle time. ;D