Author Topic: HELP needed for dropping the dream feed for an EBF baby!  (Read 1295 times)

Offline KatherineSmithOK

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
HELP needed for dropping the dream feed for an EBF baby!
« on: April 22, 2016, 14:55:19 pm »
Hi moms! So my LO will soon be approaching the 7 month mark when it is recommended to stop the dream feed. I know the guidelines say to wean over a period of several days by adding ounces to daytime bottles so that baby is still getting the same amount of calories without the dream feed. How do I initiate this process with an EBF baby? For obvious reasons, I feel like I have little control over how many ounces he drinks per feed. All I know is he is getting plenty of breastmilk as he is a happy, chunky baby that is growing like a weed! I have a friend who also EBF, and she used another method of slowly moving the time of the dream feed up until it coincided with baby's last feed of the day (i.e. one day 10:30, the next day 10, the next day 9:30, then 9:00 and so on). Has anyone had success with this method? I'm scared to make any changes to his schedule because he is sleeping so well, and I don't want to ruin that. The Baby Whisperer method has been so helpful for my family thus far, so I don't want to mess up our next transition by not following guidelines. Any and all advice is much appreciated!! Thank you!

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
Re: HELP needed for dropping the dream feed for an EBF baby!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 15:44:42 pm »
Hey there, BW is all about listening to your baby so first thing to do is step back and ask if baby is ready to drop the DF. Neither of mine dropped it til 9 mos or so, there's really no hard and fast rule you have to follow. Moving it back gradually is good method of dropping it, and you can do that as gradually (or not) as you like. Certainly with LO1 here we tried to drop it but it was clearly too early. With LO2 it was clear there was no question of dropping it til she was a bit older.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: HELP needed for dropping the dream feed for an EBF baby!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 20:15:27 pm »
my LO is 11 months old and still has a DF. I don't know if she really needs it but I just keep going as it doesn't bother me nor her. so yeah, don't fix anything if its not broken I would say?
Franziska