Author Topic: *HELP!!!* 6 week old bedtime is 10pm???  (Read 1072 times)

Offline eeleahc

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 24, 2016, 02:11:45 am »
My dd is 6 weeks old come this Tues. She is on 3 hour EASY starting at 8 am, feeds every 3 hours, does all 4 naps almost by the book. She has her cat nap around 6:15-6:50pm. I then cluster feed her at 7pm (ish) after she wakes from her catnap. She has her last activity time from 7-8:15pm. I look for yawns, and wind her down for 4S ritual around 8:15. But she will not fall asleep earlier than 10 pm!! She has been this way since day 1, not going to sleep at bedtime earlier than 10 pm. She fusses, lays in the dark, drifts off to sleep, wakes up, fusses.. etc. for 2 hours!! What am I doing wrong? I suspect maybe over tiredness? But she is awake the same amount of time as the other awake times during the day. I end up doing her dream feed around 10pm and she's instantly asleep. I even try to feed to sleep at the 8:15 mark to see, and she won't even feed to sleep then.

Insight please!!!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 02:32:38 am by eeleahc »

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: *HELP!!!* 6 week old bedtime is 10pm???
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 13:00:35 pm »
She's a baby ;)  Honestly this is pretty normal at this age, if you have a look here: Typical Amounts of Day and Night Sleep you'll see that the longer 12h nights don't really come for many babies until a lot later.  The books make it sound like if you do this, you should get that, but in real life these little people prefer to keep us on our toes!  If you are getting good naps at this age you are miles ahead of most of the field already.  Keep doing what you are doing, it sounds like you are doing brilliantly :D it will come right as she gets bigger x

Offline eeleahc

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 17:31:53 pm »
Ahh! Thanks... She'll be up from like 7-10:30pm and I know she's tired and she just fights it! ah! How long do they have that catnap for again?

(p.s. I have a 2.5 year old who I had on EASY, so this is my second time around! So maybe I'm just anxious haha)

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 18:06:19 pm »
By about 3 months on a 'standard' EASY you would typically have 3 x 1.5h naps and a catnap, dropping to more like 2 x 1.5-2h naps and a catnap around 4 months :)

Offline eeleahc

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 02:23:52 am »
Hi again! So when it says 1-3 mon, 8 hours at night: it means that when she falls asleep around 10:30 and sleeps until 8am right? (obv waking every 3ish hours to eat in there).

I also have to wake her up from her catnap every time, like she is completely asleep. Do you think it would be better for me to just let her sleep until she wakes on her own? She is currently doing 1.5 hour naps 3 times a day.

Thanks so much for your insight!

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 06:24:30 am »
You could just try it - it may be she thinks that is the start of her night?  I guess if you give it a go and it doesn't really work, then you can go back to what you are doing :)