Author Topic: 6 month old naps are changing, help!  (Read 906 times)

Offline marjorie_kate

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6 month old naps are changing, help!
« on: April 24, 2016, 16:52:55 pm »
My daughter will be 6 months next week.  She has been taking 3 naps/day with about 1.5-1.75 hours A time in between.  She does use a paci for sleeping.  We have a naptime routine (night night to the house, sleep sack and song). I then hold her for 3 min and put her down.  She's mostly asleep but usually opens her eyes and then settles to sleep. 
This last week has been so terrible!  She will sometimes nap like she always has but for the last three days she cries and cries when I put her down.  Shushing has not worked and picking her up makes everything worse.  She is still on a 3 hour easy bc she hasn't ever napped long enough to extend to 4 hours.  Any thoughts or advice on what to try?  I know she's aware now that I'm leaving the room, so that makes it all harder.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: 6 month old naps are changing, help!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 18:38:53 pm »
She likely needs an A time push; most babies around this age are in two naps or about to be.

My lo will be 6 months in a couple of weeks. If it helps to see a comparison, he is awake from around 7am-7pm and naps at around 10 and 1 (his choice). Nap lengths vary but if necessary he will get through the day on 40 minutes for each nap. We are at the stage where a third nap just throws everything off.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline marjorie_kate

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 01:29:00 am »
Today she essentially made her day a 2 nap day by taking an incredibly long nap from 1230-300!  She was with the sitter and seems to always sleep better with her.  She was pretty tired by 500 so I put her in the carrier and she slept for 15 min.  I didn't know the 3-2 transition could be this early!  Any tips on improving the drowsy but awake put down?  I fear she's mostly asleep instead of drowsy and hasn't really learned how to self soothe! Thanks for your response!

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 12:27:19 pm »
Yes, a lot of babies go to two naps around now. It allows them to consolidate their sleep, but it's not always possible to get long naps, at least at first.

I put my baby down awake, and then pick him up if he's having trouble getting to sleep. Depending on how he is I will try (in increasing order of desperation!)
Patting him in the crib
Pick him up and jiggling him until he goes to sleep
Jiggle plus a finger to suck
Sit on the yoga ball and bounce him to sleep
Feed him to sleep

I try to do the least possible to help, but if he needs me I am always there.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015