Author Topic: 15 mo transition to 1 nap  (Read 864 times)

Offline ele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: April 25, 2016, 01:18:20 am »
DD is 15.5 mos old. She has been lately having difficulty with naps.
Her day until recently was
6 am up
9:30 nap 1 h 1.15 h
2:30 or later nap till 3:30 ( had to curb to this time, because a 4 pm wake up seemed to affect her morning awake time)
7 bed

Last week she started staying awake in the morning till May by 10 am or would even fall asleep after. on some days she would not be able to fall asleep in the  afternoon.

In the past I tried curbing her morning nap but that always backfired with a poor afternoon nap (on the other hand, she just has not been able to take an under tired PM nap either).... So we decided to try one nap. Day 1:

6 am up
11 am nap. She woke up after 1 h 30 min. I tried to resettle her, but that didn't work.
6 in bed

waking up already 2 times in the night, so she is showing OT signs.
I am so weary and don't know what to do really. Should I go back to trying 2 naps on and off with luck or just push ahead with this transition. If so what would the best strategy? I read the recommendations here on this 2-1 transition but as per above these types of strategies have not worked in the past. Also Her sleep is so vulnerable,  she is very sensitive so it makes me also sensitive to as dramatic a change. 

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 18:13:17 pm by Scottishmummy »

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 15 mo transition to 1 nap
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 09:14:00 am »
If you've just had day 1 of 1 nap that's really not bad at all!!
Dropping to 1 nap was very hard for us, I wont' deny it, I really couldn't find a nice routine through it at all, the thing to remember though is that it is a phase and you will all get through it in the end.

1.5hr nap is pretty good for day 1. Maybe in a couple of days you can try extending that first A time by say 15 mins and see if you can help her get another sleep cycle added to the 1.5hr.  You can also try an EBT of say 5.30pm if needed.

When mine dropped his nap his regular 2hr nap went right off track and became 20 mins OT napping all the way through and had to be resettled over and over, yuck, that's why I say the 1.5hr nap is brilliant!