Author Topic: Struggling with naps - 15mo  (Read 980 times)

Offline Anika920

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • FTM to a precious baby boy SAHM
Struggling with naps - 15mo
« on: April 18, 2016, 23:32:03 pm »
I've had the hardest time with my LO and his sleep. He's finally STTN but he has always fought sleep. I'll see him show sleep cues, put him down and 9/10xs he'll fight sleep. He's always been very inconsistent and it's been hard to keep him on a schedule because it can take him 5-60 minutes to fall asleep! I have said he doesn't know how to put himself to sleep he just passes out. He's on the low end of sleep as is already. About 10-10.5 over night and A good day of napping is 1.5h in 2 naps. But my concern is that he will show sleep cues at around the same time everyday. Yet when I put him in his crib he will settle in fairly quickly after a little playing or fussing. But after about 10m of laying there will start rolling around and moving about. Sometimes he'll get up and start messing with things chewing on the crib etc. if I try to put him down closer to when he is falling asleep he will stay up longer. He tends to wake suddenly and will sit up or stand and is grumpy when he wakes, so not well rested. When I would hold or nurse him to sleep same thing. He'd start dozing off then start flailing his arms and legs about and eyes pop open again. He jumps still when he's falling asleep. Not always. But the other day he fell asleep on me and I felt him jump around a decent amount. Anyone experience this before? He just doesn't make sense and it shouldn't be this hard to figure out his sleep for so many months. I found BWF when he was 1m old! So I've known about and followed wake times almost his whole life.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 12:06:36 pm by jessmum46 »

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Struggling with naps - 15mo
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 12:07:13 pm »
Hi, just changed your thread title (it said something about low iron?) and moving you over to toddler sleep :)  Can I just check your LO is 15 months?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 18:51:45 pm »
Hi there, could you post your EASY as something might stand out there. Is he on 1 nap yet? Thanks

Offline Anika920

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 23:34:07 pm »
Thanks mommas! Sorry I just saw this.

Everything is all over the place currently. What confuses me the most is it seems he's not connecting nap cycles again? But I'm not really sure. The other day he woke later and slept 3h for naps which he hasn't had that much day sleep in forever. I don't know how to help him get more sleep consistently and it's so frustrating. He tends to take 30m to fall asleep in general so when I've tried to match his time falling asleep it typically doesn't result in him falling asleep more quickly.
Here's a typical day

6/630

Nap 1 usually 10:20. typically 30m can start from 9:30-10:30 when he actually falls asleep  (3-4h wake time)
Nap 2 usually 2:45/3  typically 45-60m starting at 2-3.

Bedtime 7:15/8 night ranges from 10-11h but I've seen him get 12h

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 14:03:53 pm »
Many Los have dropped to one nap by 15 months and if you say he is low sleep needs I imagine he was ready. You may think he is LSN at night as he is getting too much day sleep! If you go to 1 nap you may find he has a longer night then.

We always had a longer 1st nap and then the 2nd nap as a quick CN to get us through till bedtime. If you go down the route I would push that 1st A time out.

Offline Anika920

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 16:43:04 pm »
I've had people suggest he's getting too much day sleep but he's only getting 1.5h day sleep. So it's really not too much. He's basically taking a "longer" nap and a cat nap since he's sleeping 30m and then 60m or some variation of that.
I pushed him to one nap today. He woke at 615 (10.25h night sleep)
In crib at 12:30 and he's in there still all wound up babbling and being silly.  ???
Pretty sure he'll maybe sleep an hour (based on my past experience with trying this)

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 19:05:23 pm »
Have you tried an earlier nap on one nap days? I found I had to start about 11.30 for a good few weeks and then earlier bed time or pop a 20 min CN in to get to normal BT.

When you drop naps it always takes a while to get any kind of consistency I think x
Zoe

Offline Anika920

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 23:58:10 pm »
I have done 11:30 and I think unfortunately since he is waking so early I do need to make it earlier.
He only slept 38 minutes! And he woke up not crying which is very atypical. I left him in the crib for over an hour and while he laid back down briefly and was showing sleep cues never drifted back to sleep. I finally got him out just before 3.
I did EBT and he was asleep by 620. But he was wired running on pure adrenaline I think. My poor babe

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 06:43:32 am »
It's hard when they are going through sleep changes. How was the night?x
Zoe

Offline Anika920

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 13:34:52 pm »
I was pretty positive he'd sleep 12h with an EBT and he basically did!!! No night wakes. 620p-610a

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 17:55:56 pm »
Great stuff hope same happens again tonight x
Zoe