Author Topic: So Fussy from 6-7 pm  (Read 5182 times)

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 25, 2016, 23:02:34 pm »
Hello,
I'm not sure if I have the proper board for this.
My 5 month old daughter is so fussy from 6-7pm, I really don't know if there's something I can be doing to help her out.  We have finally figured out her proper A time with the help from a lovely lady from this forum.  Her routine is as follows
E-7am
A
S-9:30
Y
E-11am
A
S 1:30pm
Y
E 3:00pm
A
S 5:15 (45 minutes only)
Y

She eats at 7, bath then bed by 7:30.  She is sleeping through the night until 7am.
She now eats 9oz. per feeding.

Her naps are still occasionally only 45 minutes, but usually 1.5 hours.

Is there something that I could do different or is it something she'll grow out of?

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: So Fussy from 6-7 pm
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 01:55:27 am »
Her routine looks really great so I'm not sure that there is anything routine wise that can be causing the fussiness.  My only thought is that perhaps she is getting ready for her A times to extend more and drop the CN...I think that usually happens closer to 6 months though. Is she grumpy upon waking from her CN?

Is she generally happy during the day? Most LOs just have a fussy time and it's usually in the evening unfortunately.  My other thought is maybe she's in a wonder week/developmental leap?

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 03:04:04 am »
2:15 A time off a 45min capped nap may be a touch too much - she could be wanting to eat a little sooner than 7 with aiming to be in bed at 7 but really, routine looks pretty good. Is she sleeping those full 1.5hr naps?

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 14:00:27 pm »
She usually sleeps the whole 1.5 hours.  Occasionally she will wake up at a 45 minute mark, but  is usually able to put herself back to sleep now. 

She is generally happy during the day. Right after her cat nap she does wake up fussy. 

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 14:57:26 pm »
It is probably as Bec suggested, she is just a bit OT from having a 45min nap after a full A time.  It is likely something that you need to ride out, or you can try pulling the CN forward a bit to 5pm or even 4:45pm...it means your A to the CN is shorter so she may be happier when she wakes and then has a bit longer A until bed.  Because it is just a CN she doesn't necessarily need a full A time, just enough to get her to go down yk?

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 02:33:15 am »
That makes sense! I think I may try that.  :)

However, today, we had to go out during her catnap time.  Usually she does sleep if we're on the run, but today, for some reason, she didn't.  And she wasn't miserable at all, and went to bed great.  Is this just a coincidence or can this be a sign she's about to drop the catnap?  How do I know she is ready to drop the nap?  She will be 6 months on May 16.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 14:05:00 pm »
It can be a sign that she's ready to drop the CN, though the fact that you were out and about...maybe she was just distracted.  Normally what happens is you'll notice a decline in her daytime naps, she might start taking short naps at which point you push A times a bit more which eventually causes the elimination of the CN as there will be no time for it anymore.

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 20:02:31 pm »
I'm back 😕

I really am on the fence as to what to do.
My daughter's early morning naps are usually good from 9:30-11ish, and we have been extending her 2nd A time to 3 hours.  She was doing great with that and I was able to drop the cat nap for a few days and she did awesome.  However the past few days, she wakes from her 2nd nap after 45 minutes. Should I try shortening her A time back a little bit? Could she be over tired?  Or just leave it as is and hopefully she'll get it?  It's frustrating since she was ok with it.  And it's not like I could extend it more because she'll be miserable.  Thank you

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 00:00:16 am »
Have you found her A times to normally be on the high side? 45 min naps usually indicate UT, but her A times are near the high side. When you were getting a good 2nd nap previously you were using a 3hr A time? Sometimes after a good morning nap the 2nd A needs to be a touch longer.

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 19:57:12 pm »
I just don't know anymore.  She was taking decent naps after 3 hours of A time but recently they've been awful.  She's so cranky when she wakes up and we're back at the 45 minute wake up.
😣 

I don't get how it can be going so good to going so bad

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 00:58:20 am »
Sounds like she might need a wee push...if naps were going good with a 3hr A and then they started to shorten she might just need an extra 10/15mins.  Is she happy when she wakes after 45mins?

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 13:57:24 pm »
She starts off happy and talking to herself then tries to put herself back to sleep after 10-20 minutes but can't so then gets fussy.

I was tempted to try the wake to sleep again but when i did it before she just wakes up with the slightest sound of the door opening.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 21:07:37 pm »
Is give those A times a little push, if she's waking up generally happy then I'm thinking she's UT.  Even 10mins might do the trick :)

The W2S might not be working because she is probably already coming out of her sleep cycle/in a light sleep when you try to creep in.

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 15:00:51 pm »
Some progress im thinking...she is still waking up after 40 minutes but about 50% of the time is able to soothe herself back to sleep.  Should I just stay with the current A time? I did add another 15 minutes as suggested and it seemed to help.  Do you think she'll eventually not wake up at 40 minutes? 

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 16:16:27 pm »
If you added 15mins and she is self settling some of the time then yes I would maybe just hold for a bit and see what happens.

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 11:33:43 am »
I would say about 70% of her naps are 1.5 hours now, thank you!!

I do have one more question...not sure if I should post here or start a new thread...
Instead of waking at 7, she has been waking anywhere between 6 and 7 lately.  I know I shouldn't complain since she is STTN, but it kinda messes up our schedule.  Is there anything I can do about this or just attribute it to a developmental thing?  She wakes up talking to herself and happy but we don't actually get her out of bed until 7am.

Thanks again for all your help!

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2016, 11:53:33 am »
How much daytime sleep overall is she getting? Is she doing 2 naps plus a CN or just 2 naps?  I am wondering if too much day sleep could be contributing to the earlier wake ups.

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 15:12:42 pm »
That's what I was wondering too.

She's only getting two naps, from 10-11:30 and 3-4:30, so only about 3 hours total.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2016, 16:23:16 pm »
Hmmm okay.  I mean 3hrs for her age seems reasonable, but it does seem like she's in the higher end of A times also so maybe she's ready to have 1 nap cut back slightly.  What time is BT usually? If she's waking at 4:30pm I would do BT until at least 7:30pm.  Usually we recommend to push the first A when WUs start to creep earlier, but that will push your whole day out and your last nap will end late, so you may end up needing to do one longer nap and one shorter one.

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 02:34:48 am »
That makes sense.  That's funny that you said that because Yesterday and today  she had one nap of an hour and a half and the second nap was only 1 hour, and she slept until 7:15 this morning. We'll see what tomorrow morning  brings but it seems like she is kinda changing it on her own.  😊

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 10:52:48 am »
Fab! We are in the middle of the 3-2 ourselves and 5:30am have been the norm around here so we are also needing to cut back on day sleep. 

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2016, 19:11:42 pm »
Ouch!

I actually do have a question about her schedule. She wakes at 7:00 AM, eats and naps at 10:00 AM until 1130 or 11:45 AM.  I feed her when she wakes from that nap.  She goes down for her next nap around 3:15-3:30 depending on what time she wakes from her previous nap.   And lately she has been sleeping until 430 or 5:00 PM.  I've been feeding her when she wakes from that nap, and then her bedtime bottle at 7:00 PM, before her bath.  Are the last two feedings too close to each other? I didn't want to feed her before her second nap because it seems too close to that nap to feed her to me, and won't follow the easy routine. I don't know if this is the board that I should be asking this on or the feeding board?

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2016, 20:58:08 pm »
I really don't like her napping until 5pm....
I thought she was shortening her naps since we were thinking it was causing an early wake up.
Then she started with only 40 minute naps so I extended A time by 15 minutes and now both naps are usually at least 1.5 hours.  I do wake her by 5 pm if she is still asleep as I don't want it to interfere with night sleep.  Does this nap schedule seem ok or should I change it at all?   She goes to bed without any fuss. 😊

That third feeding those, as I stated in my previous post...I don't know if it should be before or after the nap?  Hmmm babies...they're always changing things around 😣 Lol

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2016, 21:09:07 pm »
I was actually going to say something about her napping that late.  I think something needs to be capped somewhere, either the AM nap or PM nap, your preference and that could actually work out your feeding issue because her last nap will end earlier in the day and have a longer A to bed.

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2016, 04:32:18 am »
That makes sense.  😊  I think it'll be the afternoon nap that I cap- any recommendations on how long it should be? 

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2016, 10:19:09 am »
I would maybe try an hour for now and see what happens.  That was she's done a full sleep cycle and will still feel somewhat restored...so 3:15-4:15ish, feed when she wakes, then bed at 7.

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2016, 12:33:41 pm »
Perfect- Thank you so much for all your help 😊

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2016, 16:21:34 pm »
Back to 45 minute naps 😕

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2016, 16:57:29 pm »
How old is she now hun? Probably indicates you need another A time push.  Can you post her EASY?

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2016, 20:51:15 pm »

Her schedule is as follows:
Wake 7am
Bottle 730 (9oz)
Solids 9 am
Nap 10-11:30
Solids 12:30 or 1
Bottle 2:00 or 2:30 (9 oz)
Nap 3-4:30
Solids 5:30
Bottle 7pm (9 oz)
Bath
Bed 7:30-7:45

I did try to increase the A time by 15 minutes but it didn't seem to help.  😕

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2016, 21:08:33 pm »
Did you hold that A time for a few days? She may need a big push, my DD can handle a 3.5hr A time.  It does mean usually that 1 nap is longer and 1 has to be capped.

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2016, 02:37:02 am »
I did hold it for a few days...
However, today I tried keeping her up until 10:30am, and she slept 1.75 hours. Although, her second nap was only 45 minutes, even though I extended that A time too.

I'm thinking I'll have to keep playing with the A time?

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2016, 09:34:54 am »
Honestly 1.75 + 45 seems good to me.  If you get a second nap much longer you are probably going to run into too much day sleep territory.  How was she nods wise and how was BT?

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2016, 12:22:53 pm »
Bedtime was perfect, but after the 40 minute nap she woke up miserable. 
Maybe it'll just take her a bit of getting used to?

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2016, 20:21:34 pm »
So this morning she went down at 10:30 and I had to wake her up at 12:30.  I put her down for her afternoon nap at 4:15, and she is really fighting it.  (She didn't seem tired when I put her down but there's no way I can push it later without it interfering with bedtime).

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2016, 21:46:35 pm »
And her last nap was only 30 minutes 😣

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2016, 00:29:08 am »
At this age I think that 2.5hrs of day sleep is appropriate, much more than that and you are robbing right sleep, so you can either do like you did today and have a 2hr nap plus a 30-45min nap, or cap the first nap at 1.5hrs which would likely get you an earlier and longer second nap.

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2016, 04:39:52 am »
Ok great! That makes me feel much better 😊  Thank you!

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2016, 15:53:24 pm »
Just when it gets better, we get worse. 

I don't know if it's a wonder week or what but 40 minutes in, she screams bloody murder.  I've tried increases a time more, no success.  Should I just do what I'm doing and pray it passes?
5 minutes after she wakes she's rubbing her eyes.  I know she's still tired. 😥

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2016, 11:36:42 am »
Teeth?  I know some of the ladies in the Birth Club are doing some big A times, we are still 3.15-3.5hrs over here just to kind of give you an idea, but many are at 4hrs.  How are her nights?

Offline AshleyMegan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2016, 14:47:15 pm »
It's possible, but even when I give her teething Meds, she still wakes after 40 minutes. 
She did just master rolling (it was very rare but now it's all the time), so maybe it's more developmental. 

Her nights haven't been affected at all.  She still sleeps from 7:30-7 so I can't really complain 😊
We've even been finding her on her belly in the morning.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2016, 13:49:51 pm »
Are all her naps 40 mins or just the first one?  We generally do 1 long and 1 short so if she does a short nap in the morning I would reduce her next A slightly (maybe 2.45?  Not sure what is her normal A time?) and then do a longer PM nap.  Could very well be developmental with the rolling.