Author Topic: Pacifier prop and numerous NW, shh/pat no longer working  (Read 3718 times)

Offline Sharwellstudio

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Pacifier prop and numerous NW, shh/pat no longer working
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 21:28:43 pm »
On the off chance any one can help me in the next few hours I will post our day today.

Do we do an early early BT (5:00) or do we squeeze in a 3rd nap?  Keep in mind neither has gone well lately (see posts above)

5:10 wake up, tried to settle him and realized way too late that he was hungry. Fed him at 6:00 and he wouldn't go back to sleep.
A: 2:45
S: 7:58-9:55 (his first ever 2 hour nap)
A: 2:45
S: 12:40-1:50
A: ?

Soooo if we add up A times for the day a 3rd nap would put us close to 11 hours A time today. An early bedtime might be just 8.5.

I have found he needs a long A time before BT to go down easy. He seems to wake up "shortly" after BT no matter what.

And for those keeping track, our "good looking day" yesterday did not result in a good night. Longest stretch of sleep was 3 hours and most were between 1 and 2. It was not fun. 

Offline lily_layne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
Re: Pacifier prop and numerous NW, shh/pat no longer working
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 01:51:43 am »
(((hugs))) for a tough night.

I don't think I got to you in time but FWIW I probably would have thrown in a CN on a day like that.

It looks like he settled within 25 minutes for the bedtime you posted about - that's about average so you're doing well there!

WRT nap lengths - BW wisdom is that anything over 1.5 hrs is restorative so most mamas aim for that. I agonized over nap lengths with LO1 and vowed to relax with LO2 so I did lower my standards a bit. I still aimed for naps of 1.5-2 hrs but I didn't sweat it nearly as much if he short napped and considered anything over 1h fairly restorative.

Has your LO tended towards long naps or short naps? To answer your question about extending, you can give it a shot if you're up for it but don't tie yourself in knots if you can't resettle him. A lot of mamas on here set a time limit (say 20 minutes) and if LO doesn't go back to sleep they just move on with their day.

My DS also liked a long last A. Many LOs do. Good job on figuring out your LOs preference!
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014