Author Topic: 2 month sleep advice needed  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Emma999

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 27, 2016, 07:59:49 am »
As My child is 2 month old, I cannot do any sleep training, but  I need to do something, because she doesn't like to sleep or nap at all.  I use EASY plan. I have tried put her to sleep in many different ways, but when she even sleeps in my lap then only 15 minutes. Now I am trying to get her to sleep in her crib, because in there the sleeping time is longer.

Question about napping. I have tried 2 ways. 1) When I see her 1st yarn I start ritual (dark room, singing, silent environment) and then put her to her crib. She starts crying and shh-pat doesn't work. Then I pick her up are comfort her in crib, but crying continues. I can do this for 2 hours and more, but she won't sleep. 2) I carry her and be silent until she is really tired, relaxed and eyes are getting closed. Then I put her down, then she won't cry but nap time will be quite short (30 min). She wakes up crying and seems tired

Which version to use? Do I put her down, when she is totally sleepy (then she wont cry for hours) or after 3 yawns? I know that for sleep training she is too young, but I must do something, because she needs sleep and in the evenings she is totally overtired and cries for 4-5 hours. And when she wakes up, do I start from start - activity, sleep rituals or try to put her sleep right away? And when she doesn't sleep at all, then how long will I continue with trying to get her sleep?

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: 2 month sleep advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 15:07:51 pm »
Hi there and welcome to BW forums :)

First of all, let me tell you, that at this young age there is very little you can do and most of us just decide to do whatever it needs to get through this :/
The key to a better situation at this age is:
1.Ritual
2.Making sure the baby is healthy, not in pain and not hungry
3.Trying to get the right timings for naps.
4.Giving the most comfortable environment possible and slowly teaching how to fall asleep

I will try to help a little, but could you answear some of the questions for me?
1.Is she FF or BF?
2.Do you use pacifier/swadling?
3.What did your day look like yesterday? Could you provide EASY for me?
Like this:
7.00 WU
7:20 6oz bottle
8:30 tried to pute her down slept 30 min...

About which way to go... She is 2 months old and still pretty scared of what is around her. Try comforting her as much as you can. I would personally do whatever works to not make her cry :(

I think it's a good thing to adjust the timing of the second nap. If she skipps first nap, I would do 1h A time instead of 1.5h if it's really hard on her to get to another nap.

Offline Emma999

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 05:58:30 am »
She is breastfeeding child and weight gain is above average, so it seems that she gets enough milk. She doesn't take pacifier, I have tried 7 different ones and also reverse psychology, but she still doesn't take it. Swaddling I have tried also, but with no luck

EASY plan

7.30 She woke up, small eat (ate also at 6 ), nappy chaning and playing
8.10 Starting to put her to sleep in her crib (she was yawning and she was tired as at the night she was most of the time (3-7.30) pushing gases out in her sleep)
9 She woke up, moved around a little bit, eating again
9.45 went outside, sleeping
12 woke up, eating and activity
12. 45 yawning heavily, trying to put her sleep (singing, in sling etc) but with no efforts, starts to fuss and cry and this was until 21.30 . Went also outside and there she slept for 30 minutes and then started to cry. Also slept for 30 minutes in my lap after crying heavily.
21.30 sleeping ( feeding 00.30 and 3.30 and 6)

This seems totally crazy. She doesn't like to sleep but she is so tired. This seems more like overtired than gases. For gases I have tried everything, different drops, bath, massage etc.

I am really desperate and tired. And there seems no sign of improvement. Doctors say, children need closeness and I agree. But even in my lap or sling or .. she doesn't sleep. Just glazes in the emptiness and is very alert, although yawning and seems tired. And it seems that she sleeps better in her own, but she doesn't like to sleep in crib or in our bed.

Doctor says that she doesn't have reflux, because food doesn't come out and she sleeps outside in trolley

It seems that I still have to some way get her to sleep on her own, otherwise the tiredness only gets worse. But seems that nothing works and with comforting there is a lot of crying. I don't approve CIO, but what to do??

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: 2 month sleep advice needed
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 19:09:24 pm »
From what you have wrote and what the doctor has said it seems like she is healthy and happily BF, so lets assume that!

Do you put her on her tummy?

Ok, so the things I have noticed:
1. I truelly believe she can do more than 45 min of A time. I know she is only 2 months, but at this age some LOs can do even twice that much:)If it was me, I would start putting her down after around 1h for now. Then you can add another 15 min to that in 4-5 days. Ironically, even when they are tired, adding that time can shorten the time it takes to put them down. Of course if the night was really bad, I would go easy on her.
2. Gas! If BF, try figuring out what is giving her gas, What do you eat? What can you eliminate that could give her gas? (I personally didn't notice that correlation except when I ate veggies that were not seasonal. The more chemicals they have, the more gas I think)
3. I got lost at 12:30.. When did she nap 30 min? When did you start BT routine?

Hugs