Author Topic: 3 months old routine advice please  (Read 2405 times)

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 27, 2016, 13:31:55 pm »
hi everyone!! my daughter is almost 3 months (11 weeks) and I need advice for her sleep issues.
Let's start with night time; she goes to bed easily after a bottle but awake, with very loud white noise, a pitch dark room, swaddled. Then she wakes up 2 to 3 sleep cycles after her BT. sometimes we burp her, sometimes it's trapped gas, sometimes it's nothing, sometimes it's her brother that's too much noisy, but she always goes back to sleep. Then her MOTN feed she feeds A LOT and won't take a full feed in the morning to start the day. I tried to offer less but she keeps screaming for more so for now that's not an option.

Then are naps. Short 40 min naps. I can set a clock to it. I tried a pitch dark room. Super loud white noise. Swaddled. Unswaddled. Swing. Arms. Sling. Rocking. Crib. Pacifier. No pacifier. More awake time. Less awake time. Stroller. Car. No matter what she won't nap more. So now that I also have to take care of a toddler, I can't spend 20 min to put her to sleep or to resettle her to sleep with ssh-pat like I did with him when he was a baby. So i end up swaddling her, put down fully awake in the crib with her paci, close the curtains and leave. She falls asleep generally in less than 10-15 min. Sometimes I try to put her down without her paci and it worked a couple of times. When she wakes I either try to put pacifier back or to put her in the swing to finish her naps but it rarely works.

Here's a general routine although I follow her lead a lot.

E 7:00 (2 oz or straight refusal)
A
S 8:30 to 9:10
A
E 10:00 (5 oz)
A
S 11:45 to 12:30
A
E 13:00 (5 oz)
A
S 14:00 to 14:30
A
E 15:00 (5 oz)
A
S 16:00 to 16:40
A
E 17:45 (7 oz)
S 18:00
E 4:00 (7 to 8 oz)

WU at 7:00

WDYT mamas ???
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 13:33:33 pm by ameliebob »

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 13:44:36 pm »
Oh yeah, forgot to mention she has silent reflux. Elevated matress, zantac, frequent burping, held upright after feed, all that stuff ;)
Since we started zantac (2 weeks ago if i'm right... or 3.. not sure lol) she started STTN the same day  :D

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 3 months old routine advice please
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 08:25:44 am »
Hi there
Sorry to see you didn't get any replies yet.
I'll give you a bump, I'm sure you will have some response from the community very soon :)

Offline Emma999

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 09:26:18 am »
Can I ask, what symptoms did she have as she has silent reflux?

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 11:02:17 am »

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 20:48:59 pm »
Hi there!  I noticed that the mid-day A time is just slightly longer than the others, by about 5 mins and although that nap isn't much longer, it's still something.  Do you think if you gave her an A time of 1hr 35mins she might make it to 45 mins at least?  I think this has been an ongoing problem, yes?
Honestly, my second had reflux and around this age, when short naps are so common, I would let him sleep in his crib as long as possible and if he woke early, we just got on with our day.  Eventually they start sleeping for longer stretches but this is such a normal phase.  I also tried going on walks in carriers, strollers etc. and he's still wake up at the 45min mark without fail.  If she's getting a solid sleep at night, try not to stress too much about these short naps.  They will pass.  Have a look at the link below and see if that may help as well.
How Tracy Helped Josie and her Family Get Past 45-Min. Naps!

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 14:09:50 pm »
Hi! I read the Josie post and if I got it right, she gave a light feed before nap time?? I'm afraid doing that would lead her to snacking all day long, we already have problems to have her to take a full feed every 3 hours..!

As I'm typing I'm waiting for her to fall back asleep (fingers crossed!!!) I found out that she spits out the paci at exactly 40 min. So I put it back in but every freaking little noise wakes her up even if the white noise is very loud... :(

I don't know if I should try wake to sleep or put her down without the paci first. You suggest have her A times longer?

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 14:26:56 pm »
Duh. It didn't work. And I found out her a times are more like 1:35 and she wakes up even she's been fed not long before nap time :(

Offline lauradj

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 20:12:16 pm »
In our case, I snuck in a pre-nap feed if necessary but not every time.  Our little guy was such a skinny-mini I needed to get calories in wherever I could.  You could try wake to sleep, particularly if you know she always wakes at the same time.  Just keep in mind it is the most subtly of movements, all you want to get is a finger twitch or a quick change in breathing, something like that. 

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 23:24:37 pm »
Thanks!! Any other idea why she wakes up (again) exactly 40 min after BT? I found out with my son it was due to undertiredness but he was way much older. this has been going on for about 3 weeks and she always goes back to sleep (sometimes with a little bit of fussing, other times it's with comfort burping or real burping) and we are having a real hard time to keep her happy until bedtime...

Offline lauradj

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 03:51:12 am »
I really do think it's the short nap phase.  Lots of people say their kids go through it at 5 months but boys my boys went through it around 3-4 months and it took almost a solid month for it to pass completely.  I'd suggest holding at 1.5hrs for now and when she's at 4 months, or just before, give her a little push in 5 minute increments.  The other thing is, if she's not on the correct dosage for her reflux, she's more likely to wake from discomfort than she would at night.  That's something to consider.

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 15:42:28 pm »
Hugs to you!! Thanks it makes me feel better lol
I just hope it will ends fast. with my son it lasted until he was 10 months! even if he was going down fully awake without any pacifier or sleep props :(
Her dosage has been adjusted 2 weeks ago and the day we adjusted it she started to sleep for 8 hours at night!!  ;D  now she goes between 8 to 10 hours withouth a feed YAY!

Offline lauradj

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 21:21:45 pm »
Fantastic!!  I'm glad that's improved.  Do you have her sleeping on an incline and on her left side?  That also helped our little guy.  Fingers crossed it passes quickly. If it's not over within another few weeks I think we need to look tweaking the routine perhaps?  It sounds like you son may have been low sleep needs.  That would have been hard!

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 14:33:51 pm »
Yeah we definetly need to look at the routine. I have a REAL HARD TIME finding a routine for a cat napper... Plus I need to schedule it so it match the dropping and picking at daycare.  :-\ could someone help me figure this out??

Offline lauradj

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 03:56:40 am »
What I would suggest is you start a fresh thread on the EASY board with a heading that hints at what you need.  That way you'll get fresh eyes and other moms who are, or have, gone through what you're going through with the drop offs and pick ups..  Also, there are schedule examples under the EASY FAQ section, which you might find helpful.

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 11:25:43 am »
Thanks I did that!

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 18:00:58 pm »
Hi
I saw your new thread about your schedule here on the naps board. I'm going to move it to the EASY board as Laura suggested so you can get support to look at the whole routine. Hope that's ok.

Need help finding schedule that suits short napper
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 18:03:13 pm by Scottishmummy »
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD